Young adult authors?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
lolripops
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lolripops.html

Re: Young adult authors?

Post by lolripops »

YES YES YES! Most of my favourite books are young adult. I especially like Cassandra Clare.
Aspen_Reads
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice+ The Notebook
Currently Reading: too many to count
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aspen-reads.html
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Aspen_Reads »

I want to become a publisher/editor, and I mainly focus on YA books, romance, adult fiction, and nonfiction in my reviewing. And, although I read all of those, the preference that I have is YA, and that is not because I am 17. I feel that they have some really great storylines, and although it is now becoming a hugely popular genre of novels, they don't get as much credit as they deserve because they are focused mainly on teens, which I think is unfair. I love YA books because of the way they are written, they aren't as dull as some adult novels are. If I could, all of my book shelves would be filled with this genre. (Who am I kidding? They are already filled with this genre!)
AWJO1991
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by AWJO1991 »

Aspen_Reads wrote:I want to become a publisher/editor, and I mainly focus on YA books, romance, adult fiction, and nonfiction in my reviewing. And, although I read all of those, the preference that I have is YA, and that is not because I am 17. I feel that they have some really great storylines, and although it is now becoming a hugely popular genre of novels, they don't get as much credit as they deserve because they are focused mainly on teens, which I think is unfair. I love YA books because of the way they are written, they aren't as dull as some adult novels are. If I could, all of my book shelves would be filled with this genre. (Who am I kidding? They are already filled with this genre!)
Yup, I want to be a literary agent, and every day, I check editorial assistant and other entry level jobs in the industry, I have to make sure they include YA. Maybe I'm picky, but I don't think I could take the job if all I did was look over Nonfiction or a genre I don't care too much for, ya know?

YA uses more imagination, I believe, while adult sticks to things that are more realistic. But then again, I've not read a ton of adult novels, so I could be wrong.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

I like reading young adult books, sometimes more than "adult" fiction because they generally have more engaging plots and a less cynical worldview. I also firmly believe that books shouldn't be put into age-based classifications. I've said this in other forums, and I'll say it again: A good story is a good story, regardless of the "intended" audience.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
superbookgirl1989

Post by superbookgirl1989 »

I just read a amazing book by a local young adult writer. His name is steven jeral harris. It's called Untamed. I'm trying to get in contact with this guy to tell him how great the book is. I feel bad because I was blowing the book off for weeks. But this book is one of my favorite now.
KristineNicole
Favorite Author: Emily Bronte
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: The Snow Child By Eowym Ivey
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristinenicole.html
fav_author_id: 2494

Post by KristineNicole »

I still read some Young Adult novels even though I am an adult. My favorite YA author is Stephanie Keuhnert. She writes amazingly raw, emotional books. Her best, in my opinion, is 'Ballads Of Suburbia.'
krisliz88
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Heartsick
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krisliz88.html
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by krisliz88 »

I don't read much young adult but the series that I actually really enjoyed was the Pretty Little Liars series by Sara Shepard. I think that I went through one of those books in a few hours one rainy day. It keeps you guessing and I can see how a young adult would enjoy them. The other book that I really enjoyed was 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher. It is a very heavy book, but a good one all the same.
RussetDivinity
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-russetdivinity.html
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen

Post by RussetDivinity »

I really like reading YA books, too. Granted, I'm still kind of in the young adult age (I'm about to leave college), but I've been reading adult books for years, and I still don't feel immature for reading YA novels. The stories are just as good, and I feel like young adult authors don't feel as much need to be clever as adult authors can.
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen
TammyO
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Persuasion
Currently Reading: The Husbands Secret
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tammyo.html
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by TammyO »

One day I picked up a Harry Potter novel. Since that day I haven't looked back. YA authors are becoming very popular. I have read many that I completely enjoyed and would highly recommend; If I stay was a really good novel that I really loved on an emotional level. Lois Lowry is also becoming a favorite of mine. I also have several on my want to read list that I can't wait to devour.
"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." ~Tom Clancy
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
amyghilton
Currently Reading: House of Furies
Bookshelf Size: 758
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amyghilton.html

Post by amyghilton »

I like Carrie Ryan and Brandon Mull. Carrie Ryan writes a great series about zombies and Brandon Mull writes a series about a secret haven for mythical creatures. I have recommended them many times to other readers. I also like Sarah Dessen and Patrick Carman.
mystrcoffee
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mystrcoffee.html

Post by mystrcoffee »

Corey Doctorow is one of my favorite authors and he has several titles for young adults. Little Brother and Homeland are just a couple. I've read pretty much everything he's ever done, including short stories. I've listened to most of his podcasts. Such a great author. He writes science type fiction, but it's set about 10 years in the future. Everything seems so entirely possible and why-don't-we-have-that-yet?
denigco
Favorite Author: Lizzy Charles
Favorite Book: Effortlessly With You
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-denigco.html

Post by denigco »

Claire LaZebnik
Miranda Kenneally
Lizzy Charles
Susanne Colasanti
Sarah Dessen
Michele Dalton
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

I love young Adult novels and feel they are sometimes arbitrarily put into the YA category because it will sell more. I have found a lot of adult themes in YA such as, questioning sexuality, staying with an abusive partner, getting over childhood trama, etc. I enjoy creative fairytale retellings which I find more in the YA section. I am drawn to more sci-fi and fantasy that seems to dominate more YA than adult novels.

Another plus in YA's favor is that most stories are not about romance directy but have romance in them.
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Melinda1973
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melinda1973.html

Post by Melinda1973 »

I often read books from this category although I don't intentionally seek them out. My favorite lately was a trilogy "the Selection" The Elite" "The One" by Kiera Cass
ankop95

Post by ankop95 »

I perfer young adult novels because I become so attached easily with the characters and storylines of most of the YA books today.

Return to “Discuss Authors”