Young adult authors?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Booky_BettyC
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 55482">Hex Hall</a>
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booky-bettyc.html
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel

Re: Young adult authors?

Post by Booky_BettyC »

Love young adult novels! I find the stories are fast paced and have characters that are very easy to love and cheer for. They are also very imaginative, where as adult novels seem to be a little more detailed and "normal" I guess the word would be. If I'm in to more details then I'll pick adult sci-fi, but for the most part young adult takes me away fast and then I can't put it down.
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
DaughterofAthena
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daughterofathena.html

Post by DaughterofAthena »

I've always loved Young adult books. they always have something you can relate to. I especially love coming of age novels. They provide me with escape from this world into the lives of fictional characters.
BookHipster
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 761">Grave Mercy</a>
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookhipster.html

Post by BookHipster »

ashann wrote:My favourite author would have to be Tamora Pierce. I also enjoyed Maria V Snyder, and Garth Nix.

I first read Tamora Pierce at about the age of 12. Her strong willed and independent female characters are very 'real' and really helped me as a pre-teen with all my pre-teen in modern society issues.

I read and re-read her song of the lioness quartet obsessively!
Same here! Tamora Pierce was my girl during my middle school days. I also was into the Inkheart series by Cornelia Funke. I'm 21 and I still read Young Adult. My favorite authors are Richelle Mead, Maria V. Snyder, Kiera Cass, C. C. Hunter, and Robin LaFevers. All great authors with all great series!

:techie-reference:
Msshannonperry

Post by Msshannonperry »

I read more YA novels than any other, I find them intriguing and more relatable!
Sophi57
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophi57.html

Post by Sophi57 »

I also love reading young adult novels. They seem to reach me better. They always have great stories the kind that I'm looking for. I like the narratives better than most adult novels. And personally the characters feel more real to me.
Nicolelovesray

Post by Nicolelovesray »

I'm 22 and that's all I can read is YA. I get bored so easily and distracted when reading books that aren't YA unless the story is amazing and not slow.
I'm In love with Chronicles of Nick by sherrilyn kenyon. Michael Vey by Richard Paul Evans, and now just getting my hands on the Percy Jackson books! By Rick Riordan.

I don't think I'll ever stop reading YA.
Alexa_Fernandez

Post by Alexa_Fernandez »

Coming of age novels are always interesting for me, so I can go between that and adult novels.
baltimorebooklover
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-baltimorebooklover.html

Post by baltimorebooklover »

I LOVE young adult authors! For some reason, I find these books to be so much more interesting than adult fiction (well... most of the time anyways!) There are already the big blockbusters like "Hunger Games" and "Twilight". But there are a lot of other great books... you can't help but love "The Fault In Our Stars". And then there's "Eleanor and Park", "Me, Earl & The Dying Girl", and "We Were Liars". Seems like the teenage years are such a growing point... love reading about people that age.
Heidiannemurray

Post by Heidiannemurray »

I love some YA, all the drama and the love stories just hold my interest more. It's crazy how many amazing YA books are out there and so many people won't give them a chance. They don't know what they are missing out on.
Alexa_Fernandez

Post by Alexa_Fernandez »

I have read a few of Esmeralda Santiago's books. They are memoirs but still fall into the bildungsroman category .

-- 12 May 2016, 07:26 --

Wondering if anyone has suggestions for 10 year old readers but nothing too "adult."
Terri Lee

Post by Terri Lee »

Hey everyone, I'm new here!
I agree there are so many good YA novels. I recently read one called Between Heaven and Earth by TJ Rudolph. It was amazing! I really think it will be the next twilight! The day I bought it was the day I finished it. Has anyone else read it perhaps?
natalieschmigle
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalieschmigle.html

Post by natalieschmigle »

I'm 23 and absolutely love YA novels. I've always liked Kristin Cashore, Kiera Cass, and Cassandra Clare in case you need some new book ideas!
prospero1501
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prospero1501.html

Post by prospero1501 »

I absolutely adore YA fiction for the simple reason that you get a wild, wonderful story, but without the unnecessary profanity and sex. Those two things can just ruin a good story for me, as they just don't belong in most books. Honestly, when is the last time you read a book and, after reaching the end, said to yourself, "Gee, that was a wonderful book, but I would have liked it much better if there had been more swearing and nooky!" At least, I have never thought that.
lraczova_87
Currently Reading: In the Garden of Beasts
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lraczova-87.html
Latest Review: "Granny's Stories" by Margaret Henderson

Post by lraczova_87 »

I love YA books, especially historical fiction. They're a great way to learn about history for those of us who can't get through grown up history books :) I like non-historical fiction books for that age too- for some reason it's pleasant to be transported back in time to my teen years.
Latest Review: "Granny's Stories" by Margaret Henderson
lolashoes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lolashoes.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by lolashoes »

Young Adult novel is my go to category. I guess it's more relatable. Also i think the characters in YA novels are easier to love and bond with.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Return to “Discuss Authors”