Jane Austin

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Bluedonutcentral
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluedonutcentral.html

Re: Jane Austin

Post by Bluedonutcentral »

So far Pride and prejudice is the only one of Jane Austin's works I have read and I loved every second of it, what I think some people need to realize is that Pride and Prejudice is similar to the time period that Jane Austin grew up in so when you read a book based on a certain time period than you have to expect the material to contain certain aspects of that time period. In Jane Austin's case In her time men and woman had a certain role to play, woman from that time had to get married before a certain age so that they could be taken care of financially. So while I think it could be over hyped I don't think it could be considered 'shallow female drabble' because of the simple fact that it was normal for Jane Austin's time so its not like she wrote some romantic novel based purely on cliches, she wrote what she grew up around which I think is what made the book so great it didn't try to hide behind romantic notions it gave truth.
Saffhira
Currently Reading: The Complete Works of Sherlock Holmes
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saffhira.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Saffhira »

Her characters did not live particularly exciting lives and nor were they set in a different dimension/world/etc. but we are still interested in what happens because there is enough action to make us wonder what is going to happen next. Most importantly, her characters evolved until, at the end, both main characters realized that they had changed for the better and that is what brought them closer.
dreamcatcherie
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dreamcatcherie.html

Post by dreamcatcherie »

I really like Jane Austen's book Pride and Prejudice. It just reminds me of all the love, and the drama we have to go through to develop for love and for life in general. It reminds us that love isn't quite easy to grasp and that it takes hard work. You have to be sure and you have to be willing to develop internally before you share your life with someone else.
cgoss74
Favorite Author: Danielle Steel
Currently Reading: Follow You Home
Bookshelf Size: 236
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cgoss74.html
Latest Review: "A Better Part of Heaven" by Mike Lee
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
fav_author_id: 3250

Post by cgoss74 »

I didn't enjoy all of her books as much as I enjoyed Pride and Prejudice but that may be because I have seen the movie. I have read several of her books though and I do enjoy her writing. She was creative in her love stories in a time when women struggled to even get published. For those of you who haven't read more than just Pride and Prejudice, you should because she is an excellent writer who deserves the prestige she has earned in the world of writers.
Latest Review: "A Better Part of Heaven" by Mike Lee
glasses0
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-glasses0.html
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer

Post by glasses0 »

Love, love, love her. Wrote my licentiate diploma paper on the theme "Jane Austen's Use of Humour to Portray Women's Roles".
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer
Jackie Perrotti

Post by Jackie Perrotti »

I love her and P&P is my favorite book of all time. Everyone always says that Wuthering Heights is the greatest love story of all time but I wholeheartedly disagree. I was never engaged by Wuthering Heights because for me it just isn't gripping in the way Austen grips her readers. Anyone that thinks Austen wrote to just tell a love story completely missed the point of her works. She writes to comment on society and how silly it is that women should just be silent, obliging, and married while they're young. She shows how women should be free to be themselves and society should not limit them.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

Watched the entire BBC miniseries on YouTube yesterday. It was one of the best viewing experiences of my life and it was by far the best adaptation of Jane Austen's book ever made for the screen. The acting was off-the-charts excellent - the actress who played Mrs. Bennet should have gotten an award for her performance. I highly, highly, HIGHLY recommend it.

You can watch the whole thing here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKYFuse24DY
Each of the six episodes is listed on the right numbered 1 - 6.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

DATo wrote:Watched the entire BBC miniseries on YouTube yesterday. It was one of the best viewing experiences of my life and it was by far the best adaptation of Jane Austen's book ever made for the screen. The acting was off-the-charts excellent - the actress who played Mrs. Bennet should have gotten an award for her performance. I highly, highly, HIGHLY recommend it.

Thank you for the link. I loved the book, and will watch the adaption when I have time. :tiphat:
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
DATo

Post by DATo »

gali wrote:
DATo wrote:Watched the entire BBC miniseries on YouTube yesterday. It was one of the best viewing experiences of my life and it was by far the best adaptation of Jane Austen's book ever made for the screen. The acting was off-the-charts excellent - the actress who played Mrs. Bennet should have gotten an award for her performance. I highly, highly, HIGHLY recommend it.

Thank you for the link. I loved the book, and will watch the adaption when I have time. :tiphat:
@gali
I do not think that you will be disappointed. In fact, I believe Miss Jane Austen would have resoundingly endorsed this production. It has been around for some time having been made in 1995 but it has yet to be equaled and in my own opinion I doubt that it ever shall.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Empire_Inspire

Post by Empire_Inspire »

All books are great! Just depends on the reader :)
Enna Eiram

Post by Enna Eiram »

I remember looking up her name in Google as I was searching about Saoirse Ronan who played as the younger sister of Keira Knightley in The Atonement. And then under related topics there popped out Pride and Prejudice. It just saddened me to know that she died having no lover despite writing romantic fictions which are highly praised now by all. I just hoped it wasn't a bad ending at all for her.
Green_gable_annie
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-green-gable-annie.html

Post by Green_gable_annie »

It is so much more than chick lit. There is a fabulous book called Among the Janeites that talks about the Jane Austen fandom. Also history and people involved.

Return to “Discuss Authors”