J.K. Rowling or Suzanne Collins?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
R_H_Ali
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-h-ali.html

Re: J.K. Rowling or Suzanne Collins?

Post by R_H_Ali »

I'm a fan of both authors, but if I had to choose one, my choice is simple: J.K.Rowling!

I happened across the first Harry Potter book by accident because it was gifted to my little brother for his birthday years ago. Naturally, I read it before he did, and got completely immersed in the plot, and the entire world Rowling created. It was nothing less than epic and I quickly became a typical Potterhead and could not contain my excitement for the releases of all the books and movies after that.

The Hunger Games is also an amazing series and I've read all the books and seen all the movies out so far, and I love it, but just not as much as Harry Potter.
Colette Marie
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-colette-marie.html

Post by Colette Marie »

This is hard...hmm...both of them are really good authors. However, I would choose Suzanne Collins simply because I prefer the Hunger Games series over the Harry Potter series. But again, this is just my sole opinion.
Paliden
Currently Reading: White Cargo
Bookshelf Size: 1028
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paliden.html
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne

Post by Paliden »

Hunger Games........I prefer that series myself
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne
chiliabowl1998
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiliabowl1998.html

Post by chiliabowl1998 »

Harry Potter, but not by much.
laureng
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laureng.html

Post by laureng »

J. K. Rowling for sure. I couldn't get into The Hunger Games, where Harry Potter pulled me in right away.
Titanoboa92
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-titanoboa92.html
Latest Review: "Aim For The Moon" by Gladys Lim

Post by Titanoboa92 »

J.K. Rowling. Harry Potter is one of my favorite series ever, so it's no contest against basically any other series.
Latest Review: "Aim For The Moon" by Gladys Lim
emveleva
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emveleva.html

Post by emveleva »

Both! 'Harry Potter' has a certain charm, originality and lost of adventures. It is quite bright in comparison to 'The Hunger Games' which I found rather dark and lovely! I guess the child in me would choose Harry, but the crazy girl in love with broken characters and dark stories would totally pick Katniss. <3
AnnieFulton

Post by AnnieFulton »

randomreader wrote:J.K. Rowling and Suzanne Collins are two very acclaimed authors of the Harry Potter series and The Hunger Games. If you were one of them, which series would you rather have written?

I think I would have rather written the Harry Potter series. Such great detail and backstory, and everything is so well thought out.
ariana_e1

Post by ariana_e1 »

I haven't read the Harry Potter series, but I have heard a few good things about it but it never intrigued me enough to get me to read the series. So for that reason, I think I would pick Suzanne Collins. But, at the same time, the Hunger Games series wasn't the best series one could get their hands on; it is just one that I have read as opposed to Harry Potter. I think I would choose Suzanne Collins for sake of having read her books!
Ktrenee56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ktrenee56.html

Post by Ktrenee56 »

I would have to go with j.k. Rowling. Her Harry potter books are extremely well thought out and she makes sure you feel as if you are in the story. Each character plays a major role and that role is reoccurring. Griphook was the goblin that opened his bank for the first time and he was also the one in the seventh book that helped them break into the bank. While the Hunger Games is also very good, I wouldn't want to write about children killing children and a lot of it seems to go towards the gale/Katniss/Peeta triangle.
Scarlet88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scarlet88.html

Post by Scarlet88 »

J.K Rowling without a doubt! The type of hunger I developed for the next book to come out was never matched with Suzanne Collins Hunger Games series.
Athertle
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-athertle.html

Post by Athertle »

I would definitely choose the Harry Potter series. It (in my opinion) is so much more imaginative and creative than the Hunger Games (I mean, stupefy! Expelliarmus!).

The Harry Potter series makes everything seem as if you are right where the main character is and doing everything with him. The characters are all well thought out and actually seem... human.

The Hunger Games was definitely a good read, but for this, the Harry Potter series have it.

Bravo, the Boy Who Lived!
cheryl4life

Post by cheryl4life »

Grest question. Love those that make me think. I have read some of the other responses and I believe my opinion may be in the monority. Without a doubt I would choose Suzanne Collins but not specifically for Hunger Games series. I chose her because of the Gregor Overland series. It was so well written, it literally took me to a different world.
shaquanag
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shaquanag.html

Post by shaquanag »

Harry Potter series hands down. Love them.
Kristin_E_Inglis
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristin-e-inglis.html

Post by Kristin_E_Inglis »

Unfortunately the Hunger Games do not appeal to me thus I choose Rowling

Return to “Discuss Authors”