J.K. Rowling or Suzanne Collins?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Jolie
Favorite Author: Margaret Atwood
Favorite Book: All of them
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jolie.html
fav_author_id: 3668

Re: J.K. Rowling or Suzanne Collins?

Post by Jolie »

I honestly will go with J.K. Rowling due to every page of every book it kept me insterested. She is one of few authors i had finished her book series. Collins "hunger games" i enjoyed it, however the the other two books if felt like an eternity. I tried so hard to finish "mocking jay" but i could not, therefore i skip half of the book and read the end. It was to much details that i got bored of it.
"War is what happens when language fails" ~Margaret Atwood
Wendyfred
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendyfred.html

Post by Wendyfred »

Definitely, the Harry Potter series. First of all, JK Rowling is one of the wealthiest women in the world. Secondly, i absolutely love the Harry Potter books.
jbriannerobbins

Post by jbriannerobbins »

This is a close call as both series are wonderfully entertaining. Rowlings wins this one based on her ability to construct a magical tale full of imagination, twists and surprises that pull the reader in to where they feel like they can (and desire to) be characters in the book.
jacob23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacob23.html

Post by jacob23 »

I love both series but I think that I would rather have written the Harry Potter series. The series is just so magical (no pun intended!). It seems as though no detail was too small for J.K. Rowling and her series has done so much to engage readers of all ages.
Karen Lau

Post by Karen Lau »

Rowling has my votes for her wild imagination and ideas, bringing lots of wows, magic and adventure into our mundane lives and studies.
DlVERGENT
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dlvergent.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by DlVERGENT »

J.K. Rowling without hesitation.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
kchedges

Post by kchedges »

J.K. Rowling and Suzanne Collins are prime examples of paranormal and dystopian genre. Both are creative with never ending imagination but to choose one would not be fair because they are not of the same genre. They both win in the category's of imagination and description. I have no doubt they will both be classics in years to come.
littlebook
Favorite Author: J.K Rowling
Favorite Book: Will Grayson Will Grayson
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-littlebook.html
Latest Review: "River of Fire" by Darrell Case

Post by littlebook »

J.K Rowling for sure. I do enjoy the Hunger Games series, but I love the Harry Potter series slightly more.
Latest Review: "River of Fire" by Darrell Case
RebekaV
Favorite Author: J K Rowling
Favorite Book: Jane Eyre
Currently Reading: Guardian of Deceit
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebekav.html
Latest Review: "Memories from the Front Line" by Henry Chew, Neil Jopson

Post by RebekaV »

I'm just so happy most people say J K Rowling. I completely adore that woman! The Harry Potter series are the best fantasy books I've ever read, so obviously my vote goes to her.
"What's coming will come and we'll just have to meet it when it does." - J K Rowling
Latest Review: "Memories from the Front Line" by Henry Chew, Neil Jopson
elizaturrill
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizaturrill.html

Post by elizaturrill »

JK Rowling, without a doubt. Her ability to create the whole world of Harry Potter is absolutely incredible.
clmartz
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clmartz.html

Post by clmartz »

JK Rowling, hands down. I'll be honest, I didn't enjoy The Hunger Games very much.
cjmayes118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cjmayes118.html

Post by cjmayes118 »

J.K. Rowling would be my pick, hands down. Her series is so much more involved and has much more interesting plot twists. While I also like Suzanne Collins, there is really no comparison between the two.
Nine

Post by Nine »

I would have rather written The Hunger Games, although I would credit J.K. Rowling as the better writer.
geekprincess26

Post by geekprincess26 »

This is a tough choice, and as others have mentioned, not an entirely apples-to-apples one. It also depends heavily on the individual reader's tastes, despite the similarities between Rowling's and Collins's landmark works. Both series fall squarely into the young-adult genre; both became popular overnight; both have spawned mega-blockbuster film series; and both, in my humble opinion, put their competition to absolute shame (in particular, Twilight in comparison to Harry Potter and Divergent in comparison to The Hunger Games).

That said, the series are radically different in their tone, literary style, and in some measure target audience. "Young adult" tends to be a catchall descriptor for anyone between 8 and 18, which encompasses a wide variety of people at different levels of reading comprehension, social and historical awareness, and critical thought development. (And to complicate matters further, there are those of us "actual" adults who read these types of books as much as we read "adults-only" literature.) Certainly I would say that the Harry Potter books, especially the first few, resemble C.S. Lewis's The Chronicles of Narnia series in that they overtly target the younger end of that spectrum but still prove meaningful on a deeper level to older readers. They also provide a modified third-person perspective (which I really enjoyed) on an out-of-reach, fantastical, exceptionally detailed world that sucks the reader out of his or her own humdrum surroundings, complete with a pretty happy ending (and I am a sucker for those). And Rowling boosts the charm factor with her cheeky, irreverent British humor - again, reminiscent to me of C.S. Lewis.

The Hunger Games, on the other hand, target the upper end of the young-adult spectrum. While Rowling's books certainly tackle dark and horrible themes, Collins's are unrelentingly nitty-gritty from the get-go (perhaps more so because they are told exclusively from the perspective of the already pessimistic heroine). There's happiness, but only in flashes; there's humor, but mainly dark humor; and even the ending, while technically on the happier side, is tinted with tragedy. The series is post-apocalyptic rather than fantastical, and it definitely shows.

All that said, I think the world of the Harry Potter series is much more detailed and rich than the world of The Hunger Games, and I can pick up any of the books and find humor, grief, loss, giddiness, and timelessness over and over again. I go back to The Hunger Games when I want a quick fix of on-trend, fast-paced adventure, but when I want a classic, I will choose Harry Potter every time. So I guess Harry Potter wins with me, but only by a fingernail or so.
vadadagon
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: Emma
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vadadagon.html
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by vadadagon »

randomreader wrote:J.K. Rowling and Suzanne Collins are two very acclaimed authors of the Harry Potter series and The Hunger Games. If you were one of them, which series would you rather have written?
The Harry Potter Series -

I've read both and while The Hunger Games it is very well written they are not as much fun to read as the Harry Potter series. In addition, I have read the Harry Potter series multiple times while I've only read the Hunger Game series once (not sure I want to read it again).

Nothing against Suzanne Collins but a Magical World of Wizards, Warewolfs, Giants, Elfs and Dragons is much more fun than a post apocalyptic world in which a government forces children to compete to death in an effort to punish/reward certain groups of people for political gain.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife."

Mrs. Bennet

Return to “Discuss Authors”