J.K. Rowling or Suzanne Collins?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
cathie
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cathie.html

Re: J.K. Rowling or Suzanne Collins?

Post by cathie »

I'm on the side of J. K. Rowling myself. My personal opinion on the Hunger Games was that it was like an adventure/plot set inside a reality show. I just couldn't shake off the feeling that anything was sincere because someone was always 'looking on'. This is, of course, my personal humble opinion. I don't think anyone shouldn't like the series. :)
anthonykolesky
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthonykolesky.html

Post by anthonykolesky »

J.K. Rowling and Suzanne Collins wrote two of my favorite series. Both offer incredible plots, characters, and themes, but ultimately J.K. Rowling is a better author. Her diction and dedication to her story makes her not only the best author of the generation, but likely one of the best authors in history. Harry Potter was a series like no other. Every sentence was written in a style unique to Rowling. Although Collins is an amazing author as well, Rowling is just magical.
Shelbilyn09
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelbilyn09.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Shelbilyn09 »

Wow, that's a tough one. Both are amazing authors, but I believe I would choose J.K. Rowling. Harry Potter was the first series I read as a kid, so it has a special place in my heart! Suzanne Collins is just as great though. Both authors have a way of capturing and drawing you into an amazing story.
karty32
Currently Reading: The Red Pyramid
Reading Device: B00JKCH552

Post by karty32 »

J.K. Rowling did a wonderful job creating the world of harry potter, never a dull moment. I like the hunger games series but not as much as i love the harry potter books. J.K Rowling is one of the best children authors around. That's just my personal option.
abcmama89
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 31">Shades of Twilight</a>
Currently Reading: The Children's Crusade
Bookshelf Size: 147

Post by abcmama89 »

I would have to say the hunger games. I enjoyed both series but I feel like the hunger games was just more interesting. It could be that I read the harry potter books when I was going though school and I read the hunger games more recently.
ravenswoodpublishing
Favorite Author: I have too many.
Currently Reading: Lore: A Pirate's Charm
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by ravenswoodpublishing »

I can't say that it would be a 'rather' have written situation for me. Actually, with my writing ability I have to say I would come closer to Suzanne Collins than J.K. Rowling, though my style is a lot of both in a way. Kind of odd.
dririe
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dririe.html

Post by dririe »

J. K. Rowling ! Her imagination is wonderful and I love her writing style. Her other books are as captivating as Harry Potter. I am a huge Hunger Games fan as well but would choose JK Rowling over Suzanne Collins anyday
ivan_gar14
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivan-gar14.html

Post by ivan_gar14 »

The Harry Potter series, it is just so immersing and magical.
Cj-reader4life

Post by Cj-reader4life »

I had a very difficult time getting into the Harry Potter series. I didn't even finish her first book! But The Hunger Games caught me right away! Luckily I started reading it right after the third book was released so I was able to go from one book to the next.
Moonridge
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moonridge.html

Post by Moonridge »

The Hunger Games is an amazingly well-written and well thought of book series. The Hunger games is dystopian fiction at it's best. The Harry Potter series is legendary and magical in every sense of the word. J.K Rowling is simply a genius. I believe being that genius and the intricate process involved with writing such riveting page turners one after another is beyond me. I'd rather "be" Suzanne not only because it would have been less time consuming to have written The Hunger Games but also because there would be less pressure if I wanted to experiment with my future novels.
keisha_jc
Currently Reading: Jane Eyre
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-keisha-jc.html
Latest Review: "Step One:Killing Hitler" by William Dean Hamilton

Post by keisha_jc »

Both are very talented authors who have taken drastic measures to create incredible worlds. However, I believe that JK Rowling takes the crown when the two are put against each other. Although Collins has brought a new light to the idea of unbearable society, Rowling create an entire world within the words of her novels. Rowling has a more complex style of writing that goes on into several concepts in seven different books that each connect in one way or another to point back to various occasions. It is easy to fall in love with JK Rowling and her fan base is absolutely unbelievable. The Hunger Games fights a hard battle, but honestly doesn't even come close to the reign that Harry Potter has on the world and its fans.
Latest Review: "Step One:Killing Hitler" by William Dean Hamilton
Clifora
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clifora.html
Latest Review: "Before I Wake" by Seven Steps

Post by Clifora »

I have to say J.K. Rowling. I've read both The Hunger Games and Harry Potter, and both series got me hooked. However, I felt more attached to the Harry Potter series as I felt that there wasn't so much romance in the book and it was mainly focused on the action and school life. Besides that, all books in the Harry Potter series were equally interesting, whereas the last book in the Hunger Games really disappointed me, which threw me off a little.
Both of them are still quite good authors though, and I would definitely recommend both series to anyone.
“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.”

— T.S. Eliot
Latest Review: "Before I Wake" by Seven Steps
Desto

Post by Desto »

Harry Potter Series, because :
- The concept of HP is way more amazing than that of Hunger Games.
- Harry Potter appeals to all age groups.
- I feel that a lot of people read the Hunger Games to know who Katniss would end up with. (No offence, that is entirely my viewpoint.)
- Harry Potter teaches you more "values" than Hunger Games.
- Harry Potter had one of the strongest friendships in books, like ever.
- If Hunger Games had a strong female in Katniss, then HP had many of strong women like Hermione, Luna, Professor McGonagall, Lily Potter.
maddoxgayer
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddoxgayer.html

Post by maddoxgayer »

They are both equally good writers and I love both of their series but I would have to go with J.K. Rowling. I have reread Harry Potter so many times I couldn't even count, but I have only read Hunger Games once.
annieeb
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annieeb.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Post by annieeb »

I think both J.K. Rowling and Suzanne Collins are amazing writers. But in my opinion, Harry Potter is in a whole other caliber than the Hunger Games. They remind me of my childhood, of reading the books with my mom, and of living and growing up with the characters. The Hunger Games is an amazing series but that's what it is. A book series.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Return to “Discuss Authors”