Any of you have a favorite children's author?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Circling Turtle
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Favorite Book: Gormenghast by Mervyn Peake
Currently Reading: Listening to Distant Thunder: The Art of Peter Clarke
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-circling-turtle.html
Latest Review: "Van Gogh in Peppers" by Christopher Scott Downing
fav_author_id: 2791

Re: Any of you have a favorite children's author?

Post by Circling Turtle »

Roald Dahl, definitely. His books transcend the genre and are just as enjoyable whether you're eight, eighteen or eighty. Another favourite children's author of mine is Philip Ridley. His novels are complex and imaginative and since I was young I have admired his gift for revealing character through dialogue.

Two of my favourite books of all time were originally written for children: 'Peter Pan' by J. M. Barrie and 'The Little Prince' by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
Latest Review: "Van Gogh in Peppers" by Christopher Scott Downing
Eric Morris
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading: The Other Daughter
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacnthabox.html
Latest Review: Acts of the Shaddai by Anthony Jones
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Eric Morris »

I'll jump on the Roald Dahl bandwagon.

I'm also currently very big on Brandon Mull (Fablehaven, Five Kingdoms), Holly Black (Spiderwick Chronicles, Magisterium), and Neil Gaiman (Coraline, The Graveyard Book). These authors have limitless imagination and are a joy to just pick up and read. I trust that they will always deliver.

-- 01 Jun 2015, 20:51 --
KingOfTheAce wrote:John Flanagan writes good children books, if they are a bit older atleast. Around the age of about 12.

I forgot about this guy!!! The Ranger's Apprentice series is extraordinarily good. My two preteen boys agree!!!
Tell me something...You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?
cap78
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by cap78 »

Roald Dahl and Matt Christopher were favorites for me
Jenn_W
Currently Reading: Nos4A2
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jenn_W »

C.S. Lewis definitely, The Chronicles of Narnia are a big staple in my love of reading. It is the series that opened my mind to a whole world of imagination. Along with Peter Pan, by J.M Barrie. I also like A.A Milne, Winnie the Pooh , and Margaret and H.A.Rey, Curious George.
stacihunsinger
Currently Reading: Defending Jacob
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacihunsinger.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by stacihunsinger »

My ten year old daughter is a huge fan of the books James Patterson writes for kids. She says that they are a lot of fun to read and really keep her interest! That to me is an A+
Breeana605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-breeana605.html

Post by Breeana605 »

Barbara Park. She was the author for the Junie B. Jones series. I absolutely loved how she wrote this little girl and just how confident she was. We would read her books in my second grade class and I always loved it.
DisneyR5Family
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-disneyr5family.html

Post by DisneyR5Family »

Julie Andrews wrote my favorite children's book of all time called The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles.
Gypsyluna1

Post by Gypsyluna1 »

My favorite children's author is Mercer Mayer. He did a set of books separate from the Little Critter books they helped my sister see monsters as something funny not something to be afraid of.
E_Goodwin
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 922">Harry Potter</a>
Currently Reading: The 11.05 Murders
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-goodwin.html
Latest Review: "Of the Woods" by Dennis Sanchez

Post by E_Goodwin »

Right now I am reading the Chronicles of Narnia to my girls. I can't say C.S Lewis is a children's author though. I love Scott O'Dell, his stuff is for older kids. Iland of the Blue Dolphins is my favorite. Jane O'Connor writes the Fancy Nancy books and they are so fun. I also love Shel Silverstein, Chris Van Allsburg, Laura Numeroff, and my favorite as a kid R. L Stine.
Latest Review: "Of the Woods" by Dennis Sanchez
Sarah Penney
Favorite Author: Tom Clancy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-penney.html
Latest Review: The Immigrant's Lament by Mois benarroch
fav_author_id: 7289

Post by Sarah Penney »

For slightly older children I've got to say C. S. Lewis, although J. K. Rowling is a very close second. However, if we're talking about picture books, I absolutely loved Kevin Henkes' books growing up. His book Chrysanthemum was, and still is, among my favorites I've ever read, even after all of this time.
ellie_dp

Post by ellie_dp »

Donald Bisset, Gianni Rodari, Sergei Kozlov, Renе Goscinny. I still love to read them.
Hannah_Graceful
Currently Reading: Wildwood Imperium
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannah-graceful.html

Post by Hannah_Graceful »

Wow, such a tough question to answer! I had so many favorites growing up! C.S. Lewis for sure. I loved Gertrude Chandler Warner's Boxcar Children series. Roald Dahl, E.B. White, Beverly Cleary, Marguerite Henry, Brian Jacques, and on and on the list goes...
To narrow it down, I read C.S. Lewis, Beverly Cleary, and Brian Jacques books the most frequently.
Tsveti-Slava Asenova
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tsveti-slava-asenova.html

Post by Tsveti-Slava Asenova »

Astrid Lindgren is my favourite author for kids, I still read some her works and they are amazing! If any of you read her works to children you will laugh a lot too but her characters like Emil can give the little ones some ideas for what to do when you're not around :lol2: Gianni Rodari is also a good choice.
Zelex656

Post by Zelex656 »

I love children's books (being a nanny you read a lot of them) two of my favorite authors for kids are Holly Black she co wrote the Spiderwick Chronicles but also have a couple of young adult fictions series that I love, and Neil Gaiman he writes such wonderful stories and his ones for children and just as rivitoing as his ones for adults.
rachel_bruhn
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire #1)
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-jacks.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by rachel_bruhn »

I too share many of the same childhood memories as previous posters: Ronald Dahl, C.S. Lewis, Beverly Cleary, etc. I honestly love books written by (the pen name) Lemony Snicket. I read the Series of Unfortunate Events in high school (yes high school) and loved it! I jumped on the new series (All the Wrong Questions) and any other related book I can get my hands on. His writing style is so unique and I love trying to solve the mysteries. I can't wait to share these books with my son when he gets old enough to read. :)

P.S. - I was obsessed with R.L. Stine's Goosebumps growing up. I still have my collection.
Journey beyond the jacket.

Return to “Discuss Authors”