Christian fiction authors

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
bobbirich
Bookshelf Size: 0

Christian fiction authors

Post by bobbirich »

Anyone have a favorite Christian fiction author?

I have quite a few and would love to hear yours. Maybe I'll be able to add to my list.
Doublehawk

Post by Doublehawk »

I never read any Christian fiction until I babysat for Lisa Tawn Bergren and read some of her books which she generously loaned to me. Are there Christian fiction authors who don't fall us much into the category of 'romance'? Is there, I don't know, a Christian adventure series you know of?
bobbirich

Post by bobbirich »

I've read some of Lisa Bergren's novels and liked them very much. She is a good story-teller. Did you like those you read by her? (What fun that you got to babysit for her)

There are many Christian authors in many genres.

Some of my favorites are:

If you like suspense:
Brandilyn Collins
Dee Henderson (her books may be more general fiction than suspense though)
Terri Blackstock

If you are into thrillers:
Ted Dekker writes very good James Patterson-type books that have a Christian theme and no gore.
Frank Peretti has written a couple of very good thrillers

Along the lines of what would be considered "romance" there are some very good authors whose stories are romance/love stories, but are very interesting because of their location, time period or just because the authors write good stories that just happen to be romances:
Tracie Peterson
Lynn Austin
Lauraine Snelling
Angela Hunt

All of these authors have several books and series that are very good reads.

Please let me know if you find something you like in these suggestions. Happy reading!
Paliden
Currently Reading: White Cargo
Bookshelf Size: 1028
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paliden.html
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne

Post by Paliden »

Hey! I read a lot of Christian Fiction. All of the suggestions you had are great. Here are a few more

Francine Rivers (General fiction prob.)
Lori Wick (Romance)
Beverly Lewis (Amish)
Janette Oke (romance?)
Brock and Brodie Thoen (not really sure, general prob.)
Jerry Jenkins (not sure what sub-genre, but he's good)
Karen Kingsbury (LOVE her Baxter family series!)

Love Lauraine Snelling, Angela Elwell Hunt (LOVE her books!!!) and Lynn Austin
bobbirich

Post by bobbirich »

Oh, those are great! Love them all! I read mostly Christian fiction and am so glad to find someone else who enjoys that type of book.

I think I've read EVERYTHING by Brock and Brodie Thoene - I love their books (I can't believe I didn't put them on my list)!
I've also read alot of Jerry Jenkins.

I really like suspense, but there are not many good Christian authors who write in that genre. I also enjoy historical fiction.

I'm reading some free Kindle books now and have discovered:

Tricia Goyer (kind of romance, kind of historical fiction),
Tamera Alexander (romance/historical fiction),
Catherine Palmer (romance/general fiction),
DiAnn Mills (romance/general fiction/suspense - she writes a little of everything!).

Nice to hear from a fellow Christian fiction reader!
Paliden

Post by Paliden »

Yes, I read a lot of Christian Fiction. I am always checking the free Christian list on Amazon.

Micheal Phillips is another good one
T. Davis Bunn is pretty good too

Here are some new ones I've discover with the free Kindle books:

Linda Windsor (check out her Brides of Alba series. Have only read the Healer so far and it was AWESOME!)
MaryLu Tyndall
Julia Lessman
Cami Checketts
J. Mark Bertrand
Amanda Cabot
Mary Connealy
Becca Fisher (Amish)
Judith Miller

Did I mention Lori Copeland and Kathleen Morgan? Like both of them too.
Manuahs
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manuahs.html

Post by Manuahs »

Mindy Starns Clark
Colleen Coble
Tracie Peterson
Linda Evans Shephard (Baking mystery series)
Lori Copeland
bobbirich

Post by bobbirich »

reply to Paliden Post #6:

I'm always checking for free ones too - sometimes it's a real gold mine of great books!

I want to check out the Brides of Alba series as you suggested. Sounds good. The Healer is the first one?

Did you know you can sometimes borrow books from your local library if you have a Kindle Fire and a library card?

I'm currently kind of reading through the Love Finds You series but there are so many - at least one book that takes place in every state. I borrow them from my library through the Freading app.
Paliden

Post by Paliden »

No, I didn't know that about the libraries. That's cool! Yes, the Healer is the first one. I haven't read the other ones yet (9.99 each) but the first one could definitely stand alone. I have read some of the Love Finds You. They are pretty good. There is another series called the Sons of Alba (can't remember who writes it.). I just got the first one in it (was free) but I haven't read it yet.
Oh, I don't remember who wrote this but check out a book called "The Light of Eidon". It was a great book. Haven't read the others in the series yet but some friends of mine have and they said it was an awesome series.
bobbirich

Post by bobbirich »

They always tease you with the first one in a series for free and then...it's $9 or $10 for the rest!!!!

I kept seeing that Light of Eidon (don't remember who wrote it either!) and didn't know if I wanted to get it or not...now I'll have to check it out - hope it's still free.

I'm reading Love Finds You in Lake Geneva Wisconsin right now and it's pretty good. All of the Love Finds You series can be borrowed and read on Kindle Fire with the Freading app. There are some other good books I've gotten from there too. You should see if your library offers that.
Paliden

Post by Paliden »

yes, I will have to check. I know, I hate the way they get you hooked in the series and then you have to pay a lot for the rest. The worst part of it (to me) is that Christian fiction is normally more expensive then the rest. I don't agree with that personally. But most of the time, I don't end up buying the rest of the series unless it is REALLY good. LOL!
Ibanezakame
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ibanezakame.html
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by Ibanezakame »

I'm not sure, but there was one I liked....hmmm......what was the name?

-- 23 Oct 2013, 23:32 --

I'm not sure, but there was one I liked....hmmm......what was the name?
Music doesn't lie. If there is something to be changed in this world, then it can only happen through music.

Jimi Hendrix
bobbirich

Post by bobbirich »

Paliden wrote:yes, I will have to check. I know, I hate the way they get you hooked in the series and then you have to pay a lot for the rest. The worst part of it (to me) is that Christian fiction is normally more expensive then the rest. I don't agree with that personally. But most of the time, I don't end up buying the rest of the series unless it is REALLY good. LOL!
I know exactly how you feel! But you know what, most of the time the first one is the best one anyway! LOL

I agree that Christian fiction is normally more expensive, even the Kindle ebooks. It seems to me they would want more people to read them so make them more reasonable. I keep seeing interesting books that I want to read then I see the price and just can't see paying that much for something I'm going to read in less than a week and then never look at again.

There should be a book exchange where you can give someone books they want to read and get something new you want.

I guess Christian writers need to eat too, though!!! :)

Oh, and I got Light of Eidon (by Karen Hancock) for free and am planning on starting that soon - the rest in that series are only $3.99 each!
Paliden

Post by Paliden »

Cool! I have a friend that has the rest of the series on Kindle, so they are gonna lend them to me. I just read an article that said that Kathleen Morgan used to write secular. Didn't know that. LOL!

Karen Hancock! Now I remember! LOL!

There is another series that is GREAT! The author's name is Chuck Black. The series is called Knights of Arrethrae. And he has another series (ties in) called the Kingdom series. It's great too! Read the Kingdom series first and then the Knights series. Strangely, the Knights series is better to me (as a series) but they are both AWESOME books. You should check your library for them. I had never heard of them before or the author but a young friend of mine had them and let me borrow them. Definitely recommend!!
bobbirich

Post by bobbirich »

No I didn't know that about Kathleen Morgan, but did you know Terri Blackstock used to write secular too! Have you read anything by her? I've read everything she wrote as a Christian author and am disappointed that she hasn't had anything new in a while. I really like her books.

I will definitely check out those two series. I usually read books on my Kindle 'cause I can take it with me wherever I go, but will see if I can find those books at my library. Thanks for recommending.

Return to “Discuss Authors”