Who was the first author you had to read "everything" by?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
jennbarclay
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Who was the first author you had to read "everything" by

Post by jennbarclay »

Oh my gosh!
Someone said Boxcar Children! Yessss!!!! I read them all but my addiction is Nora Roberts.

When I was 11 or 12, my next door neighbor, a retired lady, started slipping me Harlequin Romances. I quickly became addicted and read my first Nora. I have to say that Nora has come a long way from her Silhouette days.
Bookworm Beth
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm-beth.html

Post by Bookworm Beth »

Dean Koontz. I read the The Servants of Twilight in an 8th grade class and fell in love. Fast forward to my 20s when I practically lived at the library. I looked him up and read everything he had written up to that point. That was followed very quickly by V.C. Andrews and I read all of hers in order. I read the Flowers in the Attic series as a teenager and couldn't wait to read everything else. I never was one to read those type of books, but hers were captivating. I was sad when I realized that the quality of her books had declined and noticed that she had died and her family was writing the newer ones. They were okay, but nothing like hers. Wish she had written a few dozen more.
cvega93
Currently Reading: Rescuing America's Democracy From Its Collapsing Morality
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cvega93.html

Post by cvega93 »

I would have to say that back in grade school, I had came across the book Crank by Ellen Hopkins. I was immediately so drawn to it that when I found out there was more, I new I needed to get ALL her books. She has such a captivatng way of telling stories and the way she describes things is just...breathtaking! I'm always so wrapped in her books, that I don't notice how much time has even passed. To this day, I'm avidly checking her website to see what's new!
Jhoffman1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhoffman1015.html

Post by Jhoffman1015 »

OHHH...There are so so many!! The first author that I read every book I could get my hands on when I was older was VC Andrews. I was like an addict...I had to read everything!! But at the same time, I fell in love with Stephen King and Robin Cook. I currently own almost all of their books. I have read and reread their books. My husband makes fun of me, but I don't care!

But as a kid, I read every Nancy Drew, Boxcar Children and Hardy Boys books!! This developed my love for mystery. Now I am automatically drawn to the mystery section of the book store. And have you noticed how the mysteries are all very colorful?? :)
greywalker
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ndation</a>
Currently Reading: The Mysticism of Paul the Apostle
Bookshelf Size: 133

Post by greywalker »

The very first? Oh dear...the author of the Berenstain Bears series of kids books...and then the author of The Babysitters' Club...and Sweet Valley Twins...and Nancy Drew...and all the Choose Your Own Adventure books

Those bring back memories!
Erik
Currently Reading: Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Erik »

Very first? That's so far back in the mists of time that I cannot even recall... likely the 'Hardy Boys' series.

Lately, (and by lately, I mean the last 10 years), it's Tom Robbins, Terry Pratchett, Christopher Moore, and Neil Gaiman.

-- 05 Jan 2017, 04:42 --

Very first? That's so far back in the mists of time that I cannot even recall... likely the 'Hardy Boys' series.

Lately, (and by lately, I mean the last 10 years), it's Tom Robbins, Terry Pratchett, Christopher Moore, and Neil Gaiman.
2kasmom
Currently Reading: Down And Dirty
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-2kasmom.html
Latest Review: Are Your Kids Naked Online? by Chris Good and Lisa Good
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by 2kasmom »

For me, going back in time.... I had and I mean just HAD to read everyhing Nora Roberts. Then Debbie Macomber. Now I am just a romance book junkie.

My first foray into the everything was Nora, and I am so glad she got me hooked! She writes really well and has such a variety of story types to choose from.
UnicornEmily

Post by UnicornEmily »

Probably C. S. Lewis!

Though possibly Bruce Coville, because I was really into his books as a kid.

Actually, wait, no, there was a picture book author before that that I was into in first grade . . .
kaver22

Post by kaver22 »

Definitely Jacqueline Carey! (I'm almost there) I still have to read Saints Astray and the new book she has coming out next month - Miranda and Caliban.

I'm so in love with her worlds! I've read the Kushiel series (Phedre's trilogy and Imriel's trilogy) four times!
SangeethaNarayan
Currently Reading: The Prophet
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sangeethanarayan.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by SangeethaNarayan »

Hmmmm The first author that introduced me to reading was Agatha Christie. All her characters seem so real...whether it is Mr. Poirot or Ms. Marple. I live to read her mysteries for a long time. And then my daughter was introduced to my hero in her 7 th grade English class. It was amazing to see how much she enjoyed her, just as much as I did so many years ago.
dhwanis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhwanis.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dhwanis »

J. k. Rowling...
Jsaman

Post by Jsaman »

So, I read the Twilight Series and couldn't stop once I started. Same deal with Harry Potter. That said, I've found I read everything by Colleen Hoover and JA Huss. I've also read everything by Hemingway and Jane Austen (but clearly those guys aren't publishing anymore).
jhmende
Currently Reading: The Bible
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhmende.html
Latest Review: "Blowing Sandstorm" by Horace Crenshaw, Jr.

Post by jhmende »

I'm currently trying to read as much as I can from Tolkien. He's is an awesome author, and, as I've grown older, I've gone from being fairly interested to his books to devouring them as soon as I can find them.
Latest Review: "Blowing Sandstorm" by Horace Crenshaw, Jr.
Bunny_Redd
Favorite Book: Let's Talk About Love
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42

Post by Bunny_Redd »

Meg Cabot, I love her books for those fun, light-hearted, you know everything will turn out ok in the end, I would always read her books if I found a new one in a library I hadn't read, and I always managed to read it in at least 2 days, often less.
Mannie913
Currently Reading: Sweep Volume 3
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mannie913.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Mannie913 »

I've gone through a couple different authors in my life time, according to my ever changing taste in books. It used to be Sarah Dessen. When I was in middle school and high school, I had to read every book she put out. Sometimes I would even reread them. Currently I am completely enthralled by Suzanne Collins and Sarah J Maas. Anything they put out, I can only imagine as gold. I also like Eve Silver but she's a different genre of author.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Return to “Discuss Authors”