Agatha Christie

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
AustenAddict
Bookshelf Size: 0

Agatha Christie

Post by AustenAddict »

Let's hear your verdict! Genius or Drama Queen? True literature, or tripe?

I'm all in her favor. Here's my dissection:

Agatha Christie is a true professional mystery writer, top notch on her plots. Some people abuse mystery novels as unrealistic and over-dramatic. Anything wrong with that? I like the Hercule Poirot and Tommy & Tuppence the best, but the Miss Marples are also great. I'd steer clear of her espionage, also The Secret of Chimneys, she really goes over the top, in her narration and plot turns. But who can't cut the Queen of Crime some slack--everyone makes a mistake somewhere along a 50 year career. Her short stories are nice enough for passing the time, but things move way too fast, and there's a hopelessly unreal feeling to them, so not too many at a time. My personal favorite: Hard to say, probably the ABC Murders. Really quite clever, you can't see it coming. But then you hardly ever can!

Be sure and check out the BBC Marple and Poirot series. David Suchet is spectacular!
Sheila
Favorite Author: Impossible to pick
Favorite Book: Gone With The Wind
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by Sheila »

I agree with you I love Agtha Christe, Miss Marples and Hercule Poirot are my favorites. My all time favorite stories of hers are Then There were None, and Murder on the Orient Express.
saethwr

Post by saethwr »

Genius no doubt!

And Murder on the orient express was brilliant!
CassieXO

Post by CassieXO »

I've only read And Then There Were None/ Ten Little Indians by her, and I was impressed.

I haven't read anything else though, so I cannot make a judgement.
Eclecticreader

Post by Eclecticreader »

I love Agatha Christie, have been reading her since I was a young teenager, and I still love her!! I have nearly all her books, and think they are great (c: Definitely genius, but without bogging you down!!
Va_treehugger

Post by Va_treehugger »

I enjoyed Murder on the Orient Express and Death on the Nile. When I go on long road trips in the car, I love to bring along some of her audio books.
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

AustenAddict wrote:Be sure and check out the BBC Marple and Poirot series. David Suchet is spectacular!
Agatha Christie wrote some good stuff and some bad stuff, e.g. Tommy and Tuppence, ugh.
On the subject of David Suchet, did you see him do that Orient Express special documentary?
He was like a school boy, all his dreams come true as he actually travelled on THE train.
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Maud Fitch wrote:
AustenAddict wrote:Be sure and check out the BBC Marple and Poirot series. David Suchet is spectacular!
Agatha Christie wrote some good stuff and some bad stuff, e.g. Tommy and Tuppence, ugh.
On the subject of David Suchet, did you see him do that Orient Express special documentary?
He was like a school boy, all his dreams come true as he actually travelled on THE train.
David Suchet is absolutely brilliant ... the moustache and that walk ... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
siddi
Favorite Author: j k rowling
Favorite Book: gone with the wind
Currently Reading: vanity fair
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-siddi.html
Latest Review: "Senate Proof" by Logan Snyder

Post by siddi »

i found agatha christie in the old book case in attic, during a summer vacation at my uncle's. He was a great fan of her and had almost all her books. I got hooked and spent that summer holed up in attic reading them up. I've been a fan ever since. I loved the small novels she wrote outside of her usual characters, like , endless night. just loved that one.
Latest Review: "Senate Proof" by Logan Snyder
frik

Post by frik »

Agatha Christie is one of the first authors I read in the English language, Dutch being my native tongue.
She might not have been a great writer, but her plots were definitely pure genious.
One of my all-time favorite authors ever.

sk
Freyia
Currently Reading: Death in a White Tie

Post by Freyia »

Agatha Christie is one my favorite autors. The Murder Of Roger Ackroyd, Murder on the Orient Express, Death on the Nile, The Mysterious Affair at Styles... I love her books. Miss Marple and Hercule Poirot are my favorite detectives. Even Sherlock Holmes is just third.

Now I'm trying to read these books in English.
IainDGBlackburn
Currently Reading: The Templar Conspiracy

Post by IainDGBlackburn »

I can sum up Agatha Christie from the books I have finished.

1. Murder on the Orient express - A most interesting book to read.

2. The murder of Roger Ackroyd - The benchmark for many of the super sleuth's books.

I'm currently solving the mysteries of Endless Night and Crooked House because they are similar. The only thing different in all these books are the detectives. The first two are Poirot books and the other two I mentioned are P.I's

So to sum up the Author, Interesting but needs a lot of tome to read.
Teesie

Post by Teesie »

Christie is one of my favorite authors. Poirot is my favorite. Murder on the Orient Express and Murder on the Nile are my favorite Poirot books. I like Miss Marple as well. Love Agatha Christie :D

If your really into the mystery/suspense genre, Mary Higgins Clark is great author to check out as well.
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads only lives one.
Archita

Post by Archita »

Having read almost all her books, I find them addictive and gripping and quite ingenious. Yes,maybe the plots are slightly repetitive and always are based on inheritance and money, and yes its always the 'most unexpected person', but there's still no telling which one it is and the sheer process of discovery is always unique and intriguing. In a time when fingerprint sweeps and DNA tests and GPS reduce the identifying process to an instant, its quite captivating to read about Poirot and Miss Marple solve crimes entirely by questioning.

My top reads of Christie would include And then there were none, The Moving Finger, Sleeping Murder, The thirteen problems..
BeDaring

Post by BeDaring »

Agatha Christie is astonishing! I love love love her books. In my opinion she's the 'whodunnit' queen and deserves all the praise. I read all her books throughout my childhood and have always been in love with poirot :p

Return to “Discuss Authors”