How about pseudonyms?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
thym38
Favorite Author: Diana Wynne Jones
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thym38.html
fav_author_id: 3288

Re: How about pseudonyms?

Post by thym38 »

sometimes I think pseudonyms can add to the story in a way. In 'a series of unfortunate events' the author "lemony snicket" (which by the way is an awesome name) uses his pseudonym to actually write from the point of view of a character related to the story. I'm not sure if that makes sense, but i'm trying to say that lemony snicket is actually a real person (in the books) who is a relative of friends of the Baudelaire orphans and also a member of the mysterious VFD. I love the way he is telling the story as if he is researching what happened to the children and sometimes interjects with his own little stories that reveal more information.
Also, I didn't even know jk rowling had a new book until i read this thread :)
jamespoet
Favorite Author: Ray Bradbury
Favorite Book: FAHRENHEIT 451
Currently Reading: THE FOREVER WAR and DANCING AZTECS
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamespoet.html
Latest Review: "Laikanist Times" by Dylan Malik Orchard
fav_author_id: 2498

Post by jamespoet »

Some writers, and I'm talking about more well-known writers, decide t use pseudonyms for a few books which they consider to be quite different from the type of books they're known for writing. Donald Westlake did this for his Parker novels, which are far more serious than his comic capers.
The joys of literature transcend the evils of the world. I believe in its miraculious baptism and emotional power of the words trickling down the page. To me, there is no higher artform...
Latest Review: "Laikanist Times" by Dylan Malik Orchard
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

Not at all concerned by pen names. Many established authors use them for various reasons. Why should it matter?

Myself, I've used a pen name when writing articles, depending on the subject matter. When I worked for a local magazine, I was the "undercover" reporter on consumer fraud and such, so my real name was best kept quiet.

When I wrote for the newspaper I of course used my real name.

And nowadays, I always use my real name, for my mystery novels and other writing.
Bookworm0266
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm0266.html
Latest Review: "Other (This title is supposed to have a checkmark in front of it, but the form disallowed it.)" by Cindy Campopiano

Post by Bookworm0266 »

MikeScantlebury wrote:I'm afraid I'm not impressed by these people you describe as J.K.Rowling's 'readership' - if they are so shallow that they WILL buy the book if they know it's by her, but NOT when they thought it wasn't, then they can't possibly claim to be discriminating readers - they're just swayed by the current cult of celebrity.

I agree. A writer should be judged by the quality of their work and not the cult that they have built through their celebrity status. At the same time, I feel like a lot of others tend to get "locked" into one genre that begins to define their creativity and writing style to a point where they cannot break into a new genre if they so desired.
Latest Review: "Other (This title is supposed to have a checkmark in front of it, but the form disallowed it.)" by Cindy Campopiano
Winter
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winter.html
Latest Review: "The 30-Day Writing Challenge" by Sara Crawford

Post by Winter »

No, it doesn't bother me. I can see why an author would want to use pseudonyms for various reasons, and I respect that.
Latest Review: "The 30-Day Writing Challenge" by Sara Crawford
shinjiblue
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shinjiblue.html
Latest Review: "The Stones of Judgment" by Deborah Wise

Post by shinjiblue »

I don't really care either way; it's the author's prerogative whether they want to use their legal name or a pseudonym to represent their work. It's the story that matters more to me, so if the writing is good, they can use whatever name they want.
Latest Review: "The Stones of Judgment" by Deborah Wise
wendyj
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendyj.html
Latest Review: "The Smile Ambassadors" by Jeffrey Reid

Post by wendyj »

I don't like pseudonyms. Once I find an author I like, I want to read all their books. I don't like playing a hide and seek game - discovering that they have written a whole other set of books under a different name.
Latest Review: "The Smile Ambassadors" by Jeffrey Reid
Lovely_Ink
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lovely-ink.html
Latest Review: "Olympian Passion" by Andrya Bailey

Post by Lovely_Ink »

It really doesn't matter to me. If I like the book then I really don't care what name the author chooses to go by.
Latest Review: "Olympian Passion" by Andrya Bailey
readerromance2003
Favorite Author: Christine Feehan
Favorite Book: Dark Magic
Currently Reading: Red
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readerromance2003.html
fav_author_id: 2573

Post by readerromance2003 »

Not really. To me if the book is good who cares what the authors real name is. I just want an engaging and enjoyable book and I am happy.
WriterBLAlley

Post by WriterBLAlley »

Don't care. I never realized Franklin Dixon wasn't real when I read all those Hardy Boys books.
saviolo
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saviolo.html
Latest Review: Happiness is All We Want! by Ashutosh Mishra

Post by saviolo »

EnjoiSkyler wrote:Maybe it helps their creativity to publish under a pseudonym.

Skyler
Sometimes authors want to write a different style of book and use a different name to clue people in to the fact that they are doing this. For example, Anne Rice wrote a series of books under the pseudonym A.N. Roquelaure because they were very different to her usual style. Die hard fans know this and can consider both elements of her work. But someone who had just read 'Interview with a Vampire' might find the Beauty series a bit of a shock.
Tianarenee3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tianarenee3.html

Post by Tianarenee3 »

I actually love the fact that authors have pseudonyms. To me, it signifies the modesty and shyness of writers, writing and performing behind authors that have yet to show the world their true talents. To me, it is a majestic state of being; the author can be anyone I think he or she is, and I don't have reality to tell me otherwise. I appreciate the true names being listed but when it is false, a sort if mystery surrounds the work being read leaving the audience questioning for more than just the next step in the story line.
readitandwept
Favorite Author: Libba Bray
Favorite Book: Ginger Pye
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readitandwept.html
Latest Review: "The Morecambe Medium" by Peter Cakebread with Ken Walton
Publishing Contest Votes: 4
fav_author_id: 2652

Post by readitandwept »

It does not bother me at all, I myself plan to use one when I get my book published. I know the name does not really matter to others, but sometimes it helps get you readers. For example, J.K. Rowling used those initials in order to get boys to read her books who otherwise would not have read a book written by a woman. Also, I find cool names gets you readers like Rainbow Rowell.
Latest Review: "The Morecambe Medium" by Peter Cakebread with Ken Walton
David Dawson
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-dawson.html
Latest Review: "The Mystery Factor" by Michael Brightman

Post by David Dawson »

It can be very admirable, as when someone well-known uses a pseudonym even with their publisher because they want their work to be judged on its own merits. Wasn't that JK Rowling/ Robert Galbraith's rationale for Casual Vacancy? I'm pretty sure when Hugh Laurie published his novel he submitted it under a nom de plume and, in the end, decided to release it under his own name, but only once the publishers had decided to go ahead with the book.

I'm not sure how much of an issue this is:
wendyj wrote:I don't like pseudonyms. Once I find an author I like, I want to read all their books. I don't like playing a hide and seek game - discovering that they have written a whole other set of books under a different name.
Unless the author is actually going to great lengths to conceal their identity, you can find out all their works, under whatever name, on the internet.

A final thing on pseudonyms: I really like the story of Graham Greene entering a competition to parody his own writing in the New Statesman under a false name and coming second...
Latest Review: "The Mystery Factor" by Michael Brightman
debbie smith
Currently Reading: Shadowhorn: Age of the Revenant
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debbie-smith.html
Latest Review: "Flaherty's Crossing" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by debbie smith »

As far as a reader I do not care if there is a pseudonym used or not as long as the story is good. If I find an author I like I will look for other books by them and I will check out more on the author. This research will usually lead to information on whether they use another name or not.
I understand from many writer/writing circles that many writers use different names to help seperate the different genres they write. From this and other discussions it makes sense. I and many other readers identify an author with a specific genre and expect that if they pick up a book with that name on it. I have certain expectations of the book by the name alone. I also understand there may be some legal/accounting reasons behind using different names.
I personally have used a pseudonym just because there are thousands of my name running around the world. I have already had issues being mixed up with other people just on things like background checks. If I invest time to write a really good book I want to make sure that it is me that is identified with it. (I don't mind the mix-up if it turns out to be a really bad book though. lol)
Latest Review: "Flaherty's Crossing" by Kaylin McFarren

Return to “Discuss Authors”