Does anyone love Neil Gaiman as much as I do?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
aliciawilson
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliciawilson.html
Latest Review: "The Prince Nightmare" by Goodwill Ogbuefi

Re: Does anyone love Neil Gaiman as much as I do?

Post by aliciawilson »

He has such an amazing mind. I love the worlds he creates.
Latest Review: "The Prince Nightmare" by Goodwill Ogbuefi
zifranka
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zifranka.html

Post by zifranka »

I like how he's just really playful. It's like talking to a secret best friend.
cathy1958

Post by cathy1958 »

Gaiman doesn't write stories-he creates worlds. A true genius that has allowed me to visit places that only exist because he brings them into being. It isn't enough to read his books once. I have read American Gods so often I ended up getting the kindle version. The paperback copy is worn out but I can't part with it.
AMP76
Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Favorite Book: Consilience
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amp76.html
Latest Review: "The Secret Dead" by SW Fairbrother
fav_author_id: 2451

Post by AMP76 »

I love his books. All of them. Absolutely.
Adventure...one part stupidty plus two parts perseverence....yeah, that's me!
Latest Review: "The Secret Dead" by SW Fairbrother
autumnmarie
Favorite Author: F. Scott Fitzgerald
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-autumnmarie.html
Latest Review: "December Rain" by A.L. Goulden
fav_author_id: 2471

Post by autumnmarie »

I squealed when I saw this forum. I own all of his novels and am such a fan girl when it comes to anything he does. I discovered him when I came across an indie movie called MirrorMask that he wrote and produced with artist Dave McKean. Such a tremendous author that I wholeheartedly believe is seriously underrated.
"I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book!" -Jane Austen Pride & Prejudice
Latest Review: "December Rain" by A.L. Goulden
Smokey
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smokey.html

Post by Smokey »

I loved The Ocean at the End of the Lane, which was the first book of his I read. Couldn't believe I had not read any of his books before. I owe my finding him to a Facebook friend. Thank you, Tim.
a_adele10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-adele10.html

Post by a_adele10 »

MikeScantlebury wrote:Isn't it strange the way we use language?

Shouldn't we be talking about 'loving Neil Gaiman's work' ?
Instead, we talk about 'loving' the man, and, as the person above says, 'like him so far'.
Him?
You don't know him!
He might be cruel to cats.
He might be avoiding paying tax.

Let's get it right: LOVE the books, respect the author. Not LOVE the author and be devoted to the books, please.

I guess so. But didn't you also have a post in which you said that you DID meet him, and he was incredibly nice? I also tend to feel that there's a bit of the author in everything he or she writes -- it did come from his or her brain, after all. So you're getting to know a small part of him or her when you read the book, at the very least.

That being said -- I think Gaiman's writing and worlds are incredible. I got hooked through reading a quote of his in an article, which led me to his blog, and reading THAT made me want to discover his writing. So, I guess I'm a little biased. Because I did actually start reading his works based upon liking him on a more personal level through the blog (though I realize this is still his writing and not actually getting to KNOW him...). My goal is to read and own all of his publications. I've a long way to go, with only having read Coraline and American Gods...and now currently reading The Ocean at the End of the Lane...but I'll get there :) It's a great journey to be on!
davidinnovember

Post by davidinnovember »

I've read the Graveyard book, which was brilliant, one of my favourite books, not read any of his others. The whole of the Graveyard book is just amazing, I would recommend it to anyone
TiffanyJade
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tiffanyjade.html
Latest Review: "Whispers of a Soul" by Chantal Emmenis

Post by TiffanyJade »

He is such a wonderful author and doesn't seem to take it too seriously which I like.
Latest Review: "Whispers of a Soul" by Chantal Emmenis
nikkavb
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkavb.html

Post by nikkavb »

I have only read The Graveyard Book by him so far. I really liked the premise and the story, however I was not blown away. But I will definitely be picking up more of his books soon. I think he is a genius.
RJohnReves
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rjohnreves.html

Post by RJohnReves »

I have only read his Stardust but loved it
amybo82
Favorite Author: David Sedaris
Favorite Book: cannot pick just one
Currently Reading: Calypso
Bookshelf Size: 1517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amybo82.html
Latest Review: The Adventures of The Gorilla Billies by Mark J Stopford
Reading Device: B00TA9FD2M
Publishing Contest Votes: 17
fav_author_id: 2790

Post by amybo82 »

a_adele10 wrote:
MikeScantlebury wrote:Isn't it strange the way we use language?

Shouldn't we be talking about 'loving Neil Gaiman's work' ?
Instead, we talk about 'loving' the man, and, as the person above says, 'like him so far'.
Him?
You don't know him!
He might be cruel to cats.
He might be avoiding paying tax.

Let's get it right: LOVE the books, respect the author. Not LOVE the author and be devoted to the books, please.

I guess so. But didn't you also have a post in which you said that you DID meet him, and he was incredibly nice? I also tend to feel that there's a bit of the author in everything he or she writes -- it did come from his or her brain, after all. So you're getting to know a small part of him or her when you read the book, at the very least.

That being said -- I think Gaiman's writing and worlds are incredible. I got hooked through reading a quote of his in an article, which led me to his blog, and reading THAT made me want to discover his writing. So, I guess I'm a little biased. Because I did actually start reading his works based upon liking him on a more personal level through the blog (though I realize this is still his writing and not actually getting to KNOW him...). My goal is to read and own all of his publications. I've a long way to go, with only having read Coraline and American Gods...and now currently reading The Ocean at the End of the Lane...but I'll get there :) It's a great journey to be on!

It has been said that you should never meet your heroes because they will only disappoint you. I think that Neil Gaiman is the exception to this rule. I met him once, and he was more than generous, gracious, and kind. Every interview I've read, every video I've watched, and every encounter I've heard about have just made me even more fond of him. He's a champion of libraries, a supporter of reading, and a fighter against censorship. So, in this case, at least, I think it's safe to say that I am a fan of both Neil Gaiman and his works.

On to the books! I've been working my way through his catalog. I started with Anansi Boys when it first came out (2005), and I've been steadily reading his work since then. I've never read one that disappointed me. I think my favorite is a tie between Anansi Boys and M is for Magic. His stories have a way of just transporting me to another world.
A book is a dream that you hold in your hand. –Neil Gaiman
Ty0005
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ty0005.html

Post by Ty0005 »

Yes. I enjoy his work immensely! I just finished reading through his graphic novel 'The Sandman(which is amazing) and now getting ready to read 'American Gods' when I finish my current book.
Ayisyen
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayisyen.html

Post by Ayisyen »

I tried reading "American Gods." Could not get through the novel.
Circling Turtle
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Favorite Book: Gormenghast by Mervyn Peake
Currently Reading: Listening to Distant Thunder: The Art of Peter Clarke
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-circling-turtle.html
Latest Review: "Van Gogh in Peppers" by Christopher Scott Downing
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by Circling Turtle »

I love, love, love Gaiman's work! I am obsessed with The Sandman and I loved the spinoff series as well. These really got me into graphic novels. I've only read Neverwhere as a graphic novel but I am superkeen to get hold of the novel, my local library doesn't have it unfortunately. The only other novels I've read of his are Stardust, American Gods and Coraline. I've also read his short story collection Smoke & Mirrors, which I found very inspiring. MirrorMask is one of my favourite films.

Which of his other novels would you recommend?
Latest Review: "Van Gogh in Peppers" by Christopher Scott Downing

Return to “Discuss Authors”