James Patterson

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
DlVERGENT
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dlvergent.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Re: James Patterson ^^

Post by DlVERGENT »

Oh and another series of his I really want to read is the Confessions of a Murder Suspect series. Has anyone read it?
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
annareads
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annareads.html
Latest Review: "Paradigm Shift" by Bill Ellis

Post by annareads »

Ah I loved the Maximum Ride series as a teen, but I was always a little bit mad that he let it get so mediocre towards the end. *sigh* Didn't stop me from reading each book multiple times.
Latest Review: "Paradigm Shift" by Bill Ellis
DarkTrick
Favorite Author: Maria V. Snyder
Favorite Book: I am The Great Horse
Currently Reading: Allies and Assassins
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darktrick.html

Post by DarkTrick »

Maximum Ride was a favorite of mine growing up, though I have to agree that the ending was a bit of a disappointment.
I recently heard from a friend there was going to be another Maximum Ride, but I've yet to find any information on it myself.
RussetDivinity
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-russetdivinity.html
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen

Post by RussetDivinity »

I used to love the Maximum Ride series, but after the fourth book, it got very preachy about saving the environment. While I understand that it's important, I think he went too far in trying to push his message and could have been much more subtle. Middle schoolers (who I assume he was writing that series for) don't need to have everything shoved down their throats. I haven't been interested enough to pick up any of his other books.
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen
jekndecker

Post by jekndecker »

I was completely hooked a few years back with his Women's Murder Club series. My middle school aged daughter seems to have become a fan recently. She's read Witch & Wizard, Maximum ride and Middle School Series. She begged me to read Maximum Ride, which my kids tend to do when they LOVE a book!
crazy reader

Post by crazy reader »

I did read several of Patterson's books. I really got wrapped up into the Women's Murder Club series. Quick chapters made it easy to cruise through the books. I did loose interest in the series after the 9th book. I felt like his writing wasn't as creative and the same plot was occurring. I will have to attempt one of his other series.
Krystagbelen
Bookshelf Size: 173
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krystagbelen.html
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer

Post by Krystagbelen »

James Patterson has to be one of my favorite authors of all times! His books are suspenseful and thrilling! I just finished The Post Card Killers. It was one of my favorite books by him by far.
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer
FAHenfrey
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fahenfrey.html
Latest Review: "False Vacuum" by John Macgregor

Post by FAHenfrey »

I always enjoy the first few books of any given James Patterson series but I wish he new when to stop. So often his series drag on to the point where I stop caring about the characters or events and they start to get repetitive. Even in series such as the Witch and Wizard series where you think he has finished at a reasonable point he releases a new book with another added problem to deal with (the uber-director being the most obviously forced of these). It is a shame but kind of understandable as knowing how to quit when you are ahead is a real art.
Latest Review: "False Vacuum" by John Macgregor
amybo82
Favorite Author: David Sedaris
Favorite Book: cannot pick just one
Currently Reading: Calypso
Bookshelf Size: 1517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amybo82.html
Latest Review: The Adventures of The Gorilla Billies by Mark J Stopford
Reading Device: B00TA9FD2M
Publishing Contest Votes: 17
fav_author_id: 2790

Post by amybo82 »

Grizzly wrote:I hate James Patterson. He's by far my least favorite author out there. Ten out of ten would not read again.

I read Sunday at Tiffany's because my brother accidentally bought it and gave it to me. It read like it was written by a middle schooler and lacked a compelling enough plot of me to forgive the poor writing. Not to mention the two dimensional female lead. I read the Maximum Ride series (up to a point) because my cousin recommended it. And again, the writing was that of a middle schooler. The main character was a huge Mary Sue, and the plot was deus ex machina to the (ha) max.

He's predictable and overall sub-par. How could someone who is so terrible at writing make it so big in the writing world? I've heard that he doesn't even write his own novels, but I don't know if that makes it better or worse. Regardless, I don't think he's a good author at all, but he is a rather big name so I guess he must be doing something right. But then again, Twilight hit it big, and that novel wasn't anything special either.

Am I the only Patterson hater here?
You are not alone! I've read a few different Patterson books--Private; I Funny; 1st to Die--and I just couldn't get into them. I know I had a preset opinion of him because I worked at Barnes and Noble for nearly a decade, and during that time, I'm pretty sure the dude released a book at least once a month, if not more often. And every single time, the book was a bestseller. It was just annoying. I tried three different series because I thought I should give him a fair try. But I can now officially say I'm not a fan. I agree that his series drag, and I think his writing caters to people who are more interested in a story and less interested in quality of writing.
A book is a dream that you hold in your hand. –Neil Gaiman
ilovebooksamillion
Favorite Author: Nora Roberts
Favorite Book: The Dark Witch
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ilovebooksamillion.html
fav_author_id: 3258

Post by ilovebooksamillion »

I love James Patterson, reading his books really draws my attention. They have me thinking about life and if someone out here can be like that, I just got finished Invisible and I can't stop thinking about it. :D
cmkerr09
Currently Reading: Universal Harvester
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cmkerr09.html

Post by cmkerr09 »

I've read his Women's Murder Club series. While the first six or seven were good, the later installments have been predictable and dull.

Patterson puts out a few too many books. They are not particularly well written, but they are extremely easy and quick reads. I've read one or two of his other novels as well, but I have zero intention of reading anything else by Patterson.
stacihunsinger
Currently Reading: Defending Jacob
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacihunsinger.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by stacihunsinger »

I have read a lot of his books, and I agree I loved the first few books any of the series, but they start to become predictable. You can almost tell what is going to happen by the first few pages. I admit I have not picked up one of his books in a lot time for I feel like they are all becoming the same.
hareid03
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hareid03.html

Post by hareid03 »

I really love Patterson's books and writing style just because its so easy to read. His books are fast and usually quick reads. Some can get predictable but the stories are still fairly interesting and I never want them to stop because I get so interested in his characters.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I like James Patterson's books. I agree that they are a bit predictable after reading a few, but I like his writing style and the plot moves along. His books might not be heavy literary fiction, but I still love his books.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
cfuller
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cfuller.html
Reading Device: B00QA0TPPK

Post by cfuller »

I love James Patterson books. The books are easy to read and keep your interest. I especially like the Alex Cross series.

-- 06 Nov 2014, 18:22 --

I love James Patterson books. The books are easy to read and keep your interest. I especially like the Alex Cross series.

Return to “Discuss Authors”