James Patterson

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
megankilbey
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megankilbey.html

Re: James Patterson

Post by megankilbey »

I love James Patterson. His books certainly aren't as clever as Stephen King's, but they're incredibly easy to read, engrossing and gripping. I personally own over 20 of his novels and love all of them, I think he is a very clever writer and I easily find myself losing track of time when reading him!
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

I cannot stand James Patterson. When I was much younger I read a few of his books after seeing the movie based on one of his novels "Along Came a Spider." Although at that age I found his books to be somewhat enjoyable; as I've grown older I really can't stand them! I think his books are so formulaic, the characters are so two dimensional, and there is nothing new or innovative about his writing. I really don't know how his books are always best sellers!
elbenji
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elbenji.html

Post by elbenji »

Of late I have been reading quite a few of Patterson's novels. One of the problems with any writer for that matter, soon we see a pattern in the plot, handling of characters,creating situations etc. We feel that we have to expect this, this and so on. Several of the novels I see mask plays a definite role in the antagonist's ward robe and I am unable to understand how a masked man be loitering in the busy metropolis, having his own way of dealing with his victims! But when fresh there is thrill with suspense. He has a knack of presenting the events in quick fire sequences and that keeps one glued to the book till the end. I like the love angle and the close knit family stuff. It adds to the human nature of the ruth less police officer!
Lteezee
Currently Reading: Dark Places
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lteezee.html

Post by Lteezee »

I read my first James Patterson book, Private Games, this summer. I must say I thoroughly enjoyed it. I was unsure about reading it at first but the more I read, the more intrigued I became. I found myself trying to solve the case and determine who the perpetrator was often throughout the novel. I will definitely read more of his books.
lacos2693
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 441
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lacos2693.html
Latest Review: "Achieve Your Dreams" by Scott Hughes and A. Lynn Powers and Adam Buongiovanni

Post by lacos2693 »

He's a good author but there have been some controversies about whether or not he wrote the books, with some people saying that he has ghost writers. I've read a lot of his books and they're very entertaining but nothing other than that. I personally prefer Stephen King
Latest Review: "Achieve Your Dreams" by Scott Hughes and A. Lynn Powers and Adam Buongiovanni
Lindsay_715

Post by Lindsay_715 »

He is a good writer but I get anxiety from reading his books!
Celticlady
Currently Reading: Josephine Baker's Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 3435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-celticlady.html
Latest Review: Betrayal in Blue by Mark M. Bello
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Celticlady »

I used to read a lot of James Patterson titles. I had not read any in a long time (years) but I did pick up Woman of God, mainly because the title intrigued me. It was a good book, as usual. I do have a problem with how commercialized he has become. If you are looking for past paced page turners then you can't go wrong with Patterson. Personally I prefer to read and promote independent and self published authors. A lot of great stories out there.
David Nash
Currently Reading: Slay the Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-nash.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B009XE0K7W

Post by David Nash »

I took his Masterclass when it first came out. I was a bit skeptical going in but I found the material and suggestions to be quite helpful. Of course, when you are dealing with writers at all stages of their careers much of the material will be a poor fit, but he did try hard to make it entertaining, interesting and point out a clear path to get from unpublished to published. I've read a number of his books, both before and after the class and I find his writing style to be similar to mine. He likes short chapters, quick dialog, and he tries to get the user to envision the setting more than many other authors. He does this by reducing the amount of description, by giving hints and letting the reader fill in the rest. It's a delicate balance. Too little information and the reader comes off wanting more, too much and he loses the narrative pace. He often teams with other writers who essentially write the story using a detailed outline he provides. He then reviews and rewrites to bring the story to his style. This allows him to be prolific.
cspoe13

Post by cspoe13 »

James Patterson is one of the most versatile authors I've ever read. He writes for all ages and genres. He can entice you with the more adult drama mysteries or he can entertain kids and teens (ok adults too) with the Maximum Ride Series. He captures your attention no matter what you are reading !!
Cyndel Maria
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyndel-maria.html

Post by Cyndel Maria »

I like Patterson, he's good at grasping the reader but I hears after a while he'd mostly outline his future books and have someone else actually write them out which bothered me some. I don't know if it's true but given how many different series he has going on I wouldn't be surprised. Also, totally agree with the Koontz comment, he's a good one.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

This man is a legend. He writes all types of books from children stories, middle grade, YA, adult and I've even seen his name on the cover of a graphic novel! He is limitless!
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
JFalco97
Currently Reading: Shadow Prince
Bookshelf Size: 49

Post by JFalco97 »

I really enjoyed his Maximum Ride series, as well as what I've read of the Witch &a Wizard series. I haven't read much else by him but he's earned my respect for writing female characters as well as he has.
milyjohnson
Currently Reading: Nimue
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by milyjohnson »

I enjoy reading James Patterson's books. I think that his books are very good. I like the Alex Cross series. I also like Second Honeymoon. I bought Confessions: The Private School Murders and I can't wait to read it. I am looking forward to reading more of his books because they are fast reads for me.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

James Patterson is one of the bestselling writers of all time. I did try one of his books but I wasn't particularly impressed. I also read somewhere that he hires ghost writers, the reason why he can turn out so many books in so little time.

To those who enjoy his books, that's wonderful. To those who don't, there are a million other authors out there dying for your attention.
WordHound
Currently Reading: The Elf Brief
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wordhound.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by WordHound »

I've read some of his books, but, after a few, they all start to seem the same. Overall, I found his books kind of boring. :teasing-blah:
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Return to “Discuss Authors”