Have you ever met an author in person?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
eamons
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Have you ever met an author in person?

Post by eamons »

I won a ticket to a secret event in Sydney last night. I got to meet Rachael Johns who wrote the art of keeping secrets. It was such an amazing opportunity
TaraCarnes
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taracarnes.html

Post by TaraCarnes »

I have! I was actually really young, and she was a local self-published author, but her book was about mystery and I loved it. I'll have to get in touch with my grandma and see if she can remember her name.
karolinka
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karolinka.html
Latest Review: "Loose Threads" by J. O. Quantaman
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by karolinka »

Yes, I met my favorite author of all times at a fantasy con=- Peter S. Beagle, who wrote the Last Unicorn. He's very humble and not assuming in person, and not at all that kind of a guy who you envision will write about unicorns. But we had a really nice chat!
"How to be a writer. Step one: Write."
- A. Beauchamp.
Latest Review: "Loose Threads" by J. O. Quantaman
kileiah
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kileiah.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by kileiah »

I've had the joy of meeting both Neil Gaiman and John Green. In both cases they were extremely kind and generous, and not at all fazed by a fan's nervous mundane remarks. It was inspiring to know that someone I admire could be so friendly and approachable in real life!
Jeyran Main
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyran-main.html
Latest Review: "Stalking The Shadows" by BJ Edwards

Post by Jeyran Main »

Yes! and isn't it the most precious thing ever? When you see them in person, it is like you make that connection. There have been times where you love the book they wrote even more!
Latest Review: "Stalking The Shadows" by BJ Edwards
JamieBond007

Post by JamieBond007 »

I played on the tennis team in high school and one of the other players mom would always help out for our coach. One day she asked me for permission to use my likeness and personality for the main character in her new book. Of course I said YES! Unfortunately, that was 17 years ago and I've forgotten the name she uses to write under.
Ladarrah

Post by Ladarrah »

I've met Ann B. Ross before. My parents know her and she is just as delightful and kind in person as you'd think.
Fooch31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fooch31.html

Post by Fooch31 »

Yes, i met the author of the 19th wife some time ago at my local library, he autographed my copy, loved him, awesome person and great author
kileiah
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kileiah.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by kileiah »

Jeyran Main wrote:There have been times where you love the book they wrote even more!
Yes, this is so true! I definitely got more interested in reading other books by them too, as I felt like I had a better sense of what kind of person had written them.
ebeth
Currently Reading: The Color of Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebeth.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B0097BEFA4

Post by ebeth »

I actually work with a guy that just wrote his first novel. So I would have to say he is the first author I have met in person. I haven't met any popular authors in person.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
alwaysdaddygirl
Currently Reading: The Alienation of Courtney Hoffman
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alwaysdaddygirl.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B01DAJTINW

Post by alwaysdaddygirl »

Yes. The author of the Stephanie Plum series. I hate saying the author name. I waited hours in line for her to sign my book. She was stuck up and rude. Her assistant saw my facial reactions. She was making comments on how the author was tired from a long and busy day.

I do not care how busy your life is. I feel when the author is doing book signing, they need to leave there problems at the door. I am not asking for the authors to be fake. I just asking the author to show a little gratitude for someone who stood for hours to meet her.

A person who knows no longer read her books. A person that won a free copy of one of her books from a library. When I turn the book down, the library clerk was in shock. I go to certain libraries so much, they know me by sight and voice(calling to put a book on hold, etc). I explained why I turn down the book. I was not trying to bad mouth the author. I just did not want anyone else to go through what I do.

When you meet one of your favorite authors, and they break your heart, it leaves an impact. I was just one of the fews, that the author was rude. Maybe it was my tattoos? If that was the case, why does it matter? I am still human. ?
"Death ends a life, not a relationship."
Mitch Albom
🦋
lwelch819500
Currently Reading: The Royal Secret
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lwelch819500.html
Latest Review: "Randy Love...at your service" by Shay Carter

Post by lwelch819500 »

I have met and author in person. Judy Blume came to my elementary school. I was in 3rd grade so I didn't understand how special it was but now looking back it was pretty awesome! She wrote a lot of great children's books in the late 80's early 90's, which was when this meeting happened
Latest Review: "Randy Love...at your service" by Shay Carter
Honey Doll

Post by Honey Doll »

Yes, I have met Jennifer Armentrout. I really couldn't say what we spoke about because it was the strangest experience. It had something to do with where I live, and I mumbled that, and the weather. And, that's about it. Strange or not, I'd love to meet her again. :)
rainbow08
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rainbow08.html

Post by rainbow08 »

Yes, I did! Our Children's Church Ministry attended a seminar this December and we met Grace D. Chong, author of Twin Blessings and What's For Breakfast devotional series for kids and preteens. She gave a three hour talk and it was very inspiring. Daily devotion is a must for every child. If we don't teach our children to follow Christ, the world will teach them not to.
UnicornEmily

Post by UnicornEmily »

There's a local sci-fi/fantasy convention where I live that brings in awesome authors every year. I met one of my closest friends when we were both worshipping at the feet of Patricia C. Wrede. (*cough* we were a bit stalkery . . .)

Return to “Discuss Authors”