Have you ever met an author in person?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
suzy1124
Bookshelf Size: 0

Have you ever met an author in person?

Post by suzy1124 »

Yes, E.L. Doctorow when he visited a writers club where i live...
" We don't see things as they are but as we are "

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
KailaMarie34
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kailamarie34.html

Post by KailaMarie34 »

I met John Green at a book signing and I gave him cupcakes and talked about my boyfriend's stubble. He was super nice and he's brilliant.

I also met an author of a book for short stories we read in my Women's Lit class, because she was actually a Physics professor at my college. Her name is Vandana Singh and she was super nice. It's really cool and intimidating to talk to an author about their work. I kept starting to say "I think the author meant..." and then realizing she was in the room. haha
Metaliana

Post by Metaliana »

Only a couple of local (Chilean) well known authors, such as Roberto Ampuero and Enrique Lafourcade and one American writer who published a book on The Beatles (can't remember his name right now)
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

Whoops ! forgot about" futurist " Alvin Tofler author of " future shock " our neighbor when i lived in Riverdale, NYC...

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
cooluser

Post by cooluser »

No
MarathonCF

Post by MarathonCF »

I've never met an Author in person but I really like how you can follow them on facebook now. I follow Lynn Flewelling and she updates while she's writing which I really like. It gives you an insight into the book and her though process.
SmileyC

Post by SmileyC »

Not that every one would consider him a writer but he's written some books: John Barrowman. He was signing his new book and was lovely.
readbooks2013

Post by readbooks2013 »

I met New York Times bestselling author Omar Tyree at a book signing. Though it was quite some time ago, I remember it was a thrill to get to meet in person the author of the books in which I was so engrossed at the time.
MissFantasy93

Post by MissFantasy93 »

Hey,

I have met 4 well known authors all in the space of 9 months!
1) Becca Fitzpatrick (Author of Hush, Hush saga)
2)Stephenie Meyer (Author of Twilight series)
3)Sarah Rees Brennan (Author of Untold)
4)Cassandra Clare (Author of The Mortal Instruments)

ALSO... Jamie Campbell Bower (Actor, Caius in Twilight and Jace in TMI)
axelle484

Post by axelle484 »

I met Jhonen Vasquez once at San Diego Comic Con many years ago. He was super late for a signing and kind of a jerk if I remember correctly. I'm not sure if he counts as an author though :?:
Krystie

Post by Krystie »

I've only met a local Greek author. Her name is Toula Tigka and she had come over to my school to talk to us. It was very strange experience for me to see in person someone who had written all these stuff I read in her book.
Dakota-rose

Post by Dakota-rose »

I have met several authors. These include Tim Green, Fred Ramsey, Rosalind Carter, and Sara Easton. I always am impressed by their discipline and time management.
HelliePie
Favorite Author: Ruth Rendell
Favorite Book: The Hobbit
Currently Reading: The Securitarian Personality
Bookshelf Size: 2
fav_author_id: 3998

Post by HelliePie »

Sadly, yes. I met Erica Jong once and she was a complete and total witch.

I met Isaac Asimov, and he eye-raped me and made a salacious comment.

Barbara Seaman, a "right broad."

I met David Ignatow, the poet, and he was a lovely man.

I met Christopher Lehmann-Haupt, and he was also a lovely chap.

PS I didn't mind the eye-rape, as it WAS after all Asimov. But Jong really bugged me. I told a literary friend about it and he said, "Ugh. Never mind anything she does, she's the Miss Piggy of American Literature." I liked that!
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

HelliePie wrote:Sadly, yes. I met Erica Jong once and she was a complete and total witch.

PS I didn't mind the eye-rape, as it WAS after all Asimov. But Jong really bugged me. I told a literary friend about it and he said, "Ugh. Never mind anything she does, she's the Miss Piggy of American Literature." I liked that!
at one time Erica Jong was the darling of tv talk shows..............i found her to be very OBNOXIOUS..............
Last edited by suzy1124 on 15 Jul 2013, 16:10, edited 1 time in total.

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
HelliePie
Favorite Author: Ruth Rendell
Favorite Book: The Hobbit
Currently Reading: The Securitarian Personality
Bookshelf Size: 2
fav_author_id: 3998

Post by HelliePie »

LOL well, she was just as obnoxious in person... to all the WOMEN at the gathering. Strangely, for a feminist, she was polite and almost simpering toward the men. (File under "things that make you go 'hhhmmmmn.")

Return to “Discuss Authors”