Have you ever met an author in person?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
matthewcstinson
Currently Reading: Graves Pact
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Have you ever met an author in person?

Post by matthewcstinson »

Jim Butcher is pretty funny. I was having a bit of a fanboy moment and he put me at ease with some well-time wit.
kmartocci
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by kmartocci »

I met Lesley Kagan, author of Whistling in the Dark. She lives in my area and attended a meeting of my book club. She was so much fun and down to earth - everyone loved the book and meeting her!
superbookgirl1989

Post by superbookgirl1989 »

YES! This weird guy one day was going around passing cards and told me he was a local writer promoting his book. I took the card, but blew it off in my head. I feel so bad now. But I read his book and was mind blown by the storyline. It is my favorite novel now. And I wish I could meet him again to ask questions. His name is Steven Jeral Harris. The book is called Untamed. I emailed him, but no luck. Karma I guess.
tysonchristensen1

Post by tysonchristensen1 »

Yes I actually have met an author, and a pretty good one, too. She writes some fantastic books! Her name is Veronica Roth, and she is amazing. She writes some beautiful stuff, and she taught me some cool stuff about writing, and imagination. :D
kateuan
Favorite Author: Marguerite Yourcenar
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by kateuan »

I've never met an author, but you can meet me! You can follow me on Facebook
Levi
Favorite Author: S. Morgenstern ha ha
Favorite Book: Crik
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 542
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-levi.html
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Levi »

My second cousin Andy Skeen wrote a great little book called The Price Of Freedom that I loved and recommend, it's part Shooter and part cultural discussion about Scotland's secession from the U.K. I also have a friend named C.K. Burch who wrote an amazing adventure called Dust McAlan and the Empire Of The Serpent. If you like Indiana Jones you MUST read this book. I actually read it to give him an honest review and help edit it for further editions, but I ended up honestly loving it.
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
rspinelli
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rspinelli.html
Latest Review: "Alone In My Memories" by Dallacey E Green

Post by rspinelli »

I met Patrick Rothfuss at a book signing event. He seemed nice, but I was too tongue tied to say anything more than hi.
Latest Review: "Alone In My Memories" by Dallacey E Green
literarycat
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Currently Reading: Survivors: Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 2331
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literarycat.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by literarycat »

Pere Beagle author of The Last Unicorn was at an anime convention I went to and had the chance to meet him and talk a little bit about his book. And one of my friends has published several books but not sure if he would could haha
The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken points ~ Ernest Hemingway.
tuttibellas_mom

Post by tuttibellas_mom »

I have not, bug I do see my favorite authors posting about their signings and conventions they go to and would love to road trip to one of them...and read a few books on the way :wink:
shannonmakes
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shannonmakes.html

Post by shannonmakes »

I met Chuck Palahniuk (Fight Club) last year. It was the first reading I'd ever been to - and it was the furthest thing from what I could have expected. He was such a strange/interesting character. We all got a sharpie, a balloon and a glowstick when we got there (and a signed copy of his newest book, Beautiful You) and asked us to write our names on the balloons, blow them up and pop our glowsticks inside and then he turned off the lights and we all threw our balloons around for a few minutes and he would pick a few for special copies and other neat things. It was also on Halloween so he chucked giant bags of candy at people and fake bloody arms that he'd signed (I got one) then after it let out, my friend and I were waiting in line to buy a couple of his other books and he waltzed out from nowhere and shook our hands and then just stood there, staring at her for like a full minute, not saying anything, and then just walked away. LOL what a character.
eager_reader_31
Currently Reading: Dire House
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eager-reader-31.html

Post by eager_reader_31 »

About three months ago, I went to see Lois Lowry speak. It was amazing. She is smart and easy to relate to as a person. I actually did not realize that "The Giver" has three more books after the first one. Guess what is now on the reading list? :D
Mrs Rae
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrs-rae.html

Post by Mrs Rae »

I met Rebecca Ethington at a convention. I didn't know she would be there, and I dorked out completely when I stumbled upon her booth. I made her very uncomfortable when I asked her to marry me. My hands were shaking, and I didn't know what to say, and my mouth lost all moisture. My niece, meanwhile, was standing off to the side loudly laughing at me.
It was the best moment of my life.
H0LD0Nthere
Favorite Book: Til We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-h0ld0nthere.html
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard

Post by H0LD0Nthere »

Mrs Rae wrote:I met Rebecca Ethington at a convention. I didn't know she would be there, and I dorked out completely when I stumbled upon her booth. I made her very uncomfortable when I asked her to marry me. My hands were shaking, and I didn't know what to say, and my mouth lost all moisture. My niece, meanwhile, was standing off to the side loudly laughing at me.
It was the best moment of my life.
I am dying laughing over your post ... it reminds me of Dave Barry's description of going on The Late Show ...
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard
constant_reader81
Currently Reading: Skeleton Crew
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-constant-reader81.html

Post by constant_reader81 »

I have been lucky enough to meet 3 of my favorite authors: Stephen King, Jodi Picoult, and Nicholas Sparks.

Stephen King was extremely nice. I was helping him with his microphone during a presentation for his extraordinary novel 11/22/63 and he actually asked me to sword fight with him (using the hand-held mics). He is also VERY TALL.

Jodi Picoult was a darling. She is brilliant and down-to-earth.

Nicholas Sparks is a great guy and he had a 5 minute conversation with me about New Orleans (my home) while he was signing books.

I am so grateful that these people who I admire so much were so kind.
Thebookwonderland
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thebookwonderland.html

Post by Thebookwonderland »

I went to book con in May in New York City, so I did meet a few authors. I met Colleen Hoover, Abbi Glines, Ellen Hopkins, Patty Blount, and Jason Reynolds. I received autographs from all of them, and they were all very nice. Abbi Glines looks like a movie star, she's so beautiful! Colleen Hoovee was very friendly, she even let me take a selfie with her. Patty Blount and Ellen Hopkins both gave out free copies of one of their books, and their autographs were personalized to you. Ellen Hopkins gave out Rumble for free and Patty Blount gave out Some Boys.

Return to “Discuss Authors”