Have you ever met an author in person?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
ksherryf
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ksherryf.html

Re: Have you ever met an author in person?

Post by ksherryf »

I met Nicholas Sparks once thanks to my American Lit. professor's connections to him. He visited the hospital where she had her knee replacement and found out she was an English professor. They've been friends ever since.
prospero1501
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prospero1501.html

Post by prospero1501 »

The author I met in person was the longtime childhood friend of my stepmother. We first began talking at my sister's birthday party when I was working on my first book there, having nothing to do. She asked me what I was doing, and from there, we hit it off and became very good friends. That was over ten years ago. Her name is Deborah Glaefke Gilbert, and she was once a Cleveland State University English professor, but still remains an author today. If it had not been for her, I never would have come this far in my writing. We enjoy helping one another out. She educates me on what makes for good writing, while I keep her constantly informed about all the current trends in the writing world. I have learned a good deal from her, but one of the most important things is that very few writers can make it on their own without a great support system from another writer who has been there. When I really think about it, this is true for just about anything.
dpuckridge
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by dpuckridge »

Yes I have met a South Australian writer, who is about to launch his second book.
Dean Myers, he writes about Australian topics and also is a nurse
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

I met an author once while I was a hostess in a sports bar. I'm trying to hard to think of his name, but it's just not coming to me. This was about 6 1/2 years ago. He was in a wheelchair, and was wearing sunglasses despite it being night. I remember him asking me the size of a sub on the menu. I held my hands up to show him and he starting feeling my hands, and explained that he was blind. He ended up telling me that he was hit by a drag racing car that his best friend was driving, which paralyzed him and left him blind. He ended up writing a book about it, which I found at the local library soon after. I've thought about him several times since then, but I can't find any information about him anymore.
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
nitebyrd44
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nitebyrd44.html
Latest Review: "Raw Food Diet For Beginners" by Ross Contreras

Post by nitebyrd44 »

I was fortunate to meet and take a writing class from Gloria Houston (The Year of the Perfect Christmas Tree).
I met Maurice Sendak in Chicago
I met Andy Warhol at Water Tower Place in Chicago
I went to a lecture / book signing by Diana Gabaldon
I met Harry Chapin, singer / songwriter who also wrote great poetry
Anne Rice, who signed my copy of her book, Lasher
Anne McCaffrey

I love meeting authors. The ones I've met have been so gracious and friendly. Andy Warhol was a bit weird and silly but he was Andy Warhol......:0
Latest Review: "Raw Food Diet For Beginners" by Ross Contreras
prospero1501
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prospero1501.html

Post by prospero1501 »

I met two children's authors, Joanna Hurwitz and Sharon Phillips Denslow. One of them came to my school, and the other to the local library, and I have autographed books from each of them.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

I also know Destinee Hardwick, the author of the Mayhem Fairy Chronicals. I used to work in a bank, and she was a customer of mine. She signed my copy, and it was a really great read! I have yet to finish the series, but I'm sure I won't be disappointed. She's very talented!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
Denise16
Currently Reading: Somebody Love Me
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Denise16 »

Yes, a few children's book authors and illustrators. Bruce Coville and his wife Katherine, Vivian Vande Velde and other authors. It was a book fair many years ago, a great day. I don't think they've had any since then in my neck of the woods.
Novelbound
Currently Reading: She Walks These Hills
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-novelbound.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Novelbound »

One author I met was Amy Greene the author of Bloodroot, which is a favorite of mine. I considered it a pretty big deal because her book was featured in Entertainment Weekly when it was first released. I actually have the opportunity to see her again and Barbara Kingsolver next week because they are speaking at a writers retreat.
waluhyo
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by waluhyo »

Yes, but only Indonesian writers
Joy V Smith
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Joy V Smith »

Yes, at Oasis, the literary science fiction convention I go to. It's such a great place for meeting authors close up They're on panels and at the book signing tables, but I've chatted with a few. I'm sorry I didn't keep a list of names. I've met a number of artists there too--and interviewed some, including Mike Conrad and J. P. Targete--oh, and Owl Goingback (horror writer).
jenniferchronister
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by jenniferchronister »

A few years ago, I was fortunate enough to win a trip to Salem, MA and meet Brunonia Barry (The Lace Reader and A Map of True Places). My husband and I were taken on a trip around Salem by Ms. Barry and her husband to see the sites in her books. We had a wonderful time and they joined us for a drink at the hotel's bar afterwards. They were both wonderful, funny and kind. We hit it off well and have remained in contact.
Genaaa
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-genaaa.html
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera

Post by Genaaa »

I actually haven't as of now, but hopefully someday I'll get the opportunity to meet some of my favorite actors.
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

I recently got to meet Craig Johnson, author of the Longmire Mysteries. He came to a bookstore to do a signing and give a talk. I drove four hours to see him and it was well worth it! He was very engaging and answered a lot of our questions. It was great to learn a little more about his writing process. Highly recommend!
lily_kh87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lily-kh87.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by lily_kh87 »

No, I haven't. But I would love to meet Paulo Coelho one day.

Return to “Discuss Authors”