Have you ever met an author in person?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
davidlog
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Have you ever met an author in person?

Post by davidlog »

NO I haven't met anyone I hope I'll meet my preferred author soon
Ramona
Favorite Author: Too many...
Currently Reading: Burn Zones
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ramona.html
Latest Review: "My Life In The Dirt: Adventures Of A Suburban Organic Farmer" by J. Don Bell
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Ramona »

I have a friend, Ruth Axtell, whom I had known for several years before she became a published author. We used to attend the same church, so when her first novel was published, our pastor called her to the front to announce the wonderful news and so we, her church family, could rejoice with her. And when she had her first book signing, I attended it and of course bought the book. It was quite exciting. She has since then had many books published.
Latest Review: "My Life In The Dirt: Adventures Of A Suburban Organic Farmer" by J. Don Bell
chytach18-
Favorite Author: John Fowles
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3">Strange Case of Dr Jekill and Mr Hyde</a>
Currently Reading: Dark Corners
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chytach18.html
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
fav_author_id: 2947

Post by chytach18- »

Yes, one of my favourite authors was my tutor on the creative writing course. 8)
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
metalheadbette
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-metalheadbette.html

Post by metalheadbette »

When I was in fifth or sixth grade, the author Anna Myers came to our small school in Southwest Oklahoma. Even back then I wanted to be a writer, so I brought a notebook and pen to the lecture she was having in the library. I feverishly took notes the whole time she was speaking, wanting to absorb any advice or wisdom she might have. I was a quiet, awkward, bookish child--never one to raise my hand in class, even if I did have the answer. In the middle of her talk, Anna narrowed her eyes at me, and loudly chastised me for writing and passing notes while she was speaking. I was horrified and humiliated. I wanted to curl up under my seat and cry. I didn't have the courage to tell her that I had actually been paying close attention. Thankfully, the school librarian, who I enjoyed a close relationship with, came to my defense. Once Anna knew the truth, she felt horrible. So horrible, in fact, that after her talk she came to speak with me personally. She also gave me a signed copy of her book "Ethan Between Us," which I still have.
Elizabeth2015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth2015.html

Post by Elizabeth2015 »

Many. But as for the ones making a living at their craft, I've met Anna Quindlan when her book, Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake came out. I also met and got to have a great conversation with Susan Richards, author of, among other things, Chosen By A Horse.

-- 20 Aug 2015, 13:22 --

Many. But as for the ones making a living at their craft, I've met Anna Quindlan when her book, Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake came out. I also met and got to have a great conversation with Susan Richards, author of, among other things, Chosen By A Horse.
scrappydo2014

Post by scrappydo2014 »

No but I would have loved to have had the chance to meet Maeve Binchy - I admire the way she was able to write so conversationally
CynthiaG0199
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthiag0199.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by CynthiaG0199 »

I've met Charlaine Harris once, she was nice but the event was rushed and I didn't really get to talk to her much. I've met Sherrilyn Kenyon several times. She's been lovely every time. I also met another one but I can't remember her name right now. She was quite nice as well.
donaldzlotnik
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38853">MYK: Prince of the Vends</a>
Bookshelf Size: 56
Publishing Contest Votes: 2

Post by donaldzlotnik »

John Steinbeck, John Fante and Robin Moore plus a dozen or more Facebook friends.
marina7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marina7.html
Latest Review: "Rise of the boy god" by Samuel Mogbolu

Post by marina7 »

not yet....:(
Latest Review: "Rise of the boy god" by Samuel Mogbolu
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I've met one author last year, actually. She is my next door neighbor's daughter-in-law: Laurie Faria Stolarz. She is the author of Blue is for Nightmares series (a YA mystery/suspense series) among other books. She seemed very nice!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Onewhothinks
Currently Reading: Kundalini Awakening
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onewhothinks.html
Latest Review: "The Reform" by Almondie Shampine

Post by Onewhothinks »

I met Elizabeth Brundage, author of The Doctor's Wife. She was an absolute sweetheart. She is actually a doctors wife and was telling jokes and stories about being such.
I easily recommend any of her works as well as meeting her if the opportunity arises.
Latest Review: "The Reform" by Almondie Shampine
FoxyReader1988
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19054">The Giver</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-foxyreader1988.html

Post by FoxyReader1988 »

I had the chance of meeting one of the authors of the Star Trek: Deep Space Nine books when I was in high-school. We had the chance as a school to ask him about the journey a hero goes through in a story.
Jordan Jude

Post by Jordan Jude »

The one author that I've truly wanted to meet was, J.D. Salinger. I think he especially understood that, wishing to be friends with the writer.
Kesia Alexandra

Post by Kesia Alexandra »

Yes, Junot Diaz and Elizabeth Nunez. It was a great experience and gave me a lot of perspective on my own writing.
CCtheBrave
Favorite Author: Jorge Luis Borges
Currently Reading: Under Wildwood
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccthebrave.html
Latest Review: "Wild Ozark Nature Journal" by Madison Woods
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2819

Post by CCtheBrave »

I was able to meet my favorite poet, Thomas Sayers Ellis, at a poetry workshop that I snuck into in Massachusetts. It was amazing! I had been obsessed with his work for years and I was ecstatic to meet someone who influences my work so strongly!
read well and write bravely
Latest Review: "Wild Ozark Nature Journal" by Madison Woods

Return to “Discuss Authors”