What is your opinion on Stephenie Meyer?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
CheekyAless
Favorite Book: The Hunger Games
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 0

What is your opinion on Stephenie Meyer?

Post by CheekyAless »

I have heard numerous things about Stephenie Meyer and her famous Twilight books e.g She writes a good story but her English is poor OR The story is not well written etc. So I would like to hear more opinions on her books plus a reason for disliking or liking her work.
emberwood
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emberwood.html

Post by emberwood »

I was obsessed with her books when I was in the 8th grade. I believe there were two of them out at the time and I was waiting on the others. I went to Midnight openings for her new books hosted by various book stores and loved the storyline when I was young. As I grew as a reader, a writer, and a student, it became clear that her plots were weak and her grammar is horrible. Now, the books are painful to read.

Things I Like: Her series is different. It's not the run-of-the-mill story about vampires and werewolves; her plot runs deeper than that to include the Volturi and unique settings. I admire her fierceness for not being afraid to go there.

Thinks I Didn't Like: Her grammar, her writing style, her voice, her characterization, her descriptions; she definitely has a strong point in finding a plot, but a weakness in executing it.

I think they're ideal for a middle school audience, but you can definitely outgrow her writing.
CheekyAless

Post by CheekyAless »

I was very interested in her Twilight books at a stage too. I started to hear from people that she isn't a good writer , so I decided to read two of her first Twilight books again and I did find the odd mistakes and noticed that it is a quite a simply written book. Thanks for your opinion :)
SuchetaK96

Post by SuchetaK96 »

They are good for a one time read :)
nikitarenee
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikitarenee.html

Post by nikitarenee »

I haven't read anything else by her, but as far as the Twilight series is concerned, it's a quick read and extremely well-suited to its audience, ie teenage girls. It incorporates romance and the supernatural, which seem to be prerequisites for teen popular media these days. In no way is it well written. The grammar is horrific, the voice childish, the characterization flat, but this all aids in its easy comprehension and rapid consumption. Many readers of Twilight are not what society would call readers, classically. They probably spend more time reading social media posts and magazines than novels, and the remedial vocabulary of the series plays to that. This is a series well suited to fanfiction in that the characters are not well defined, and thus can be developed by fans into fictional versions of themselves. Reading Twilight requires minimal knowledge of psychology or the workings of human interaction. It also requires almost no intellectual participation or analysis on the readers' part. In fact, if one stops to analyze several points, such as the fact that her vampires share almost no characteristics with those of traditional lore, the fact that Edward spent a century or so in high school (apparently waiting for an expressionless, weak-spirited antiheroine of a teenage girl to fulfill whatever human needs he retained), let alone the question of how a member of the undead can get an erection and have fully functioning sperm at age 100+, one quickly notes that much of the work seems thrown together solely for effect, rather than logical coherence.
-pbf
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pbf.html

Post by -pbf »

emberwood wrote:I was obsessed with her books when I was in the 8th grade. I believe there were two of them out at the time and I was waiting on the others. I went to Midnight openings for her new books hosted by various book stores and loved the storyline when I was young. As I grew as a reader, a writer, and a student, it became clear that her plots were weak and her grammar is horrible. Now, the books are painful to read.

Things I Like: Her series is different. It's not the run-of-the-mill story about vampires and werewolves; her plot runs deeper than that to include the Volturi and unique settings. I admire her fierceness for not being afraid to go there.

Thinks I Didn't Like: Her grammar, her writing style, her voice, her characterization, her descriptions; she definitely has a strong point in finding a plot, but a weakness in executing it.

I think they're ideal for a middle school audience, but you can definitely outgrow her writing.
I had an almost identical experience. I'd like to add that I also do not like the way the relationship, which is abusive, is portrayed as an ideal relationship. I don't think it's healthy for young girls to read this book.
SmileyC

Post by SmileyC »

I couldn't get on with them but I think it's important to remember who they were written for. They were aimed at teenaged girls and then suddenly went mass market. I don't think the writing style is very good but you can't argue that the storyline captured an awful lot of people.
kumarlabels

Post by kumarlabels »

good author
Debbie14

Post by Debbie14 »

I found them a hard read, as in, I had to push myself to carry on reading in the hope that something would happen soon! I did tire of hearing about Edward's chiselled looks etc, but the hype was out there so I wanted to know what it was all about. They are not books I would return to, but the thing is, she got her books out at the right time to the right people.
Katk1424

Post by Katk1424 »

I think she's brilliant. I think her stories are really romantic but also have a lot of danger in them.
CheekyAless

Post by CheekyAless »

Thanks for sharing :)
Wibblywobblygw
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wibblywobblygw.html

Post by Wibblywobblygw »

I keep a copy of the Twilight books on my bookshelf.

They help to remind me that no matter how bad a writer I think I am, I can't be as bad as her.

Just.

No.
laura_askew88
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-askew88.html
Latest Review: "Algebra Simplified Basic and Intermediate" by Kerry Kauffman

Post by laura_askew88 »

I enjoyed the Twilight series and have read it many times. I like her writing style and I think it fits the characters. I would seem silly using elaborate writing to describe those characters. It is a book written for a younger audience which should be kept in mind. The end to the series was a little disappointing though, no big fight scene.... :?
Latest Review: "Algebra Simplified Basic and Intermediate" by Kerry Kauffman
sarahgraceface89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahgraceface89.html

Post by sarahgraceface89 »

Oh boy don't even get me started. The Twilight series is nothing more than the plots of several other books strung together. Some have compared it to Pride and Prejudice but I really do not see the connection. What I did see a connection to was Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbit, I'll go as far as to say that Meyers did nothing but rewrite Tuck Everlasting with vampires. The plot is the same, a young man happens upon a young girl who does not exactly fit in with her peers. Try as he may to stay away his infatuation gets the best of him and the two fall in love. At first the boy's family does not accept his lover but after a serious discussion of the family secret she is soon accepted. And as to the family secret? Well the boy's family cannot die, they drank from a stream that produced eternal life. The young girl wants desperately to drink from the well and live with the family forever, but the young man has serious reservations. As much as he loves her he cannot bear for her to endure the hardships of life eternal. Sound familiar?
heath110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heath110.html

Post by heath110 »

Although the series may be simplistic, it is obvious that she captured an audience and following. It's also interesting that it can spark inspiration in other authors, such as the rumored 50 Shades of Grey. She must have done something right.

Return to “Discuss Authors”