who is your guiltiest pleasure author?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
SidnayC
Favorite Book: I am yet to read a book worthy
Currently Reading: Inescapable by Amy Bartol
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sidnayc.html
Latest Review: "Vampire prince" by Iris van Gorp

Re: who is your guiltiest pleasure author?

Post by SidnayC »

E L James of course :D I had a long hiatus from reading and writing in my late teens because of the pressures of University and my sister called me one day complaining about the book 50 shades of grey. She said it had a weird possessive stalker guy as the hero... she thought it would turn me off... but it actually turned me on :D I read all the books and E L James will forever be credited for bringing me back to my first loves reading and writing! So call her whatever... but she inspired me. She also taught me the word 'gah'.
Latest Review: "Vampire prince" by Iris van Gorp
Mecassel0
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mecassel0.html

Post by Mecassel0 »

My guilty pleasure author is Janet Evanovich. I LOVE the Stephanie Plum series. They are extremely formulaic though so I only read one every couple of months. Pretty soon I'll be caught up and then won't have to space them out anymore. Ha, I'll probably regret taking advantage of being able to read one after the other when I have to finally wait for her to write the next one.
teelaelee24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teelaelee24.html

Post by teelaelee24 »

Carl Weber, most people think it's smut but the storylines pull you in. "The preachers son" and "player haters" are my favorite. I've also been doing a lot of wattpad hopping some of the stories on there are pretty good as we'll.
MaragothThorn
Favorite Author: GK Chesterton
Favorite Book: Father Elijah by Michael D. OBrien
Currently Reading: Skin by Ted Dekker
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maragoththorn.html
Latest Review: "Bad Endings" by David Bussell

Post by MaragothThorn »

This would probably be Ted Dekker. I don't know, some of his stories can be pretty bland and overdone, but they are just they type of stories I like to read on rainy days or when I feel lonely.
Latest Review: "Bad Endings" by David Bussell
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Nicholas Sparks. I feel his books are so sappy and not serious literature, but sometimes I just feel in the mood for light, sappy romance.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
H0LD0Nthere
Favorite Book: Til We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-h0ld0nthere.html
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard

Post by H0LD0Nthere »

Kirsten wrote:Janet Evanovich, although no giult involved, just pleasure. I love her Stephanie Plum novels they are hilarious
Janet Evanovich, me too! They bring lots of good belly laughs! But I can't binge on them, they get too repetitive and smutty.
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

Secretly love Stephenie Meyer just because ... I feel like it!
Also, still reading RL Stine!
lorenicole
Favorite Author: Laurell K Hamilton
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lorenicole.html
Latest Review: "Loose Tooth Trouble" by Melissa Bixby
Publishing Contest Votes: 12

Post by lorenicole »

:oops: Okay this topic made me blush. When I think of guilty pleasure I think of romance... With that being said I would have to say that my guilty pleasure would be Laurell K Hamilton's books with their fairy erotica-type moments... :oops:
Latest Review: "Loose Tooth Trouble" by Melissa Bixby
Himmelslicht
Favorite Author: Gabriel. G. Marquez
Favorite Book: One Hundred Years of Solitude
Currently Reading: Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-himmelslicht.html

Post by Himmelslicht »

ALynnPowers wrote:Secretly love Stephenie Meyer just because ... I feel like it!
Also, still reading RL Stine!
True. I liked The Host. Even though with all the flaws it had xD
"Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world."
- Gustave Flaubert
MikeBrightman

Post by MikeBrightman »

Lee Child and his books are definitely "unputdownable!" Jack Reacher is a great character - though I'd hate to get on the wrong side of him - and like my Cowboy heroes on TV years ago - Bronco Lane, The Lone Ranger etc - they always win through and beat the baddies - unfortunately those guilty pleasures taught us that the native American was to be feared and "evil" whereas as we grow up (well try to!) we realise that "we" were the "baddies." Just read Touch The Earth - and many more - but hey, this is about guilty pleasures and fun - and Lee Child is as said by one reviewer "stunningly dynamic."

-- 11 Dec 2014, 12:48 --

Lee Child and his books are definitely "unputdownable!" Jack Reacher is a great character - though I'd hate to get on the wrong side of him - and like my Cowboy heroes on TV years ago - Bronco Lane, The Lone Ranger etc - they always win through and beat the baddies - unfortunately those guilty pleasures taught us that the native American was to be feared and "evil" whereas as we grow up (well try to!) we realise that "we" were the "baddies." Just read Touch The Earth - and many more - but hey, this is about guilty pleasures and fun - and Lee Child is as said by one reviewer "stunningly dynamic."
hareid03
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hareid03.html

Post by hareid03 »

Mine would probably either be Stephanie Meyer or Erin Hunter. Stephanie Meyer because so many people dislike her books but I actually did like the story of twilight, even if the writing was a bit flat and juvenile. Erin Hunter because she writes such good books but they're all more geared towards younger generations but I love them so much, I'm rereading her books right now actually because I just love the stories so much.
RussetDivinity
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-russetdivinity.html
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen

Post by RussetDivinity »

Mary Pope Osbourne. My brother has the Magic Treehouse series, and sometimes I just want to relax with something light-hearted and not at all serious, even if it is for children.
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen
pretzelsnow
Favorite Author: Lynn Austin
Favorite Book: Long Time Coming by Edie Claire
Currently Reading: Silas Marner by George Elliot
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pretzelsnow.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 7595

Post by pretzelsnow »

My GP author is Nicholas Sparks.I love his books but I hide them from my parents:)
Also my dad doesn't approve of Chicken Soup but I have every one of them and love to collect them!
When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.
— Walter Lippmann
deah319
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 710">Pride and Prejudice</a>
Currently Reading: The Snow Child
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deah319.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by deah319 »

Sophie Kinsella, I bought Confessions of a Shopaholic in an airport for a light read....I ended up buying every book she released after that. Next to her will be Stephanie Meyer.
"It is what you read when you don't have to that determines who you will be when you can't help it" - Oscar Wilde
Aivlys
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aivlys.html

Post by Aivlys »

My guilty pleasure of published reading is books intended for a young adult audience. I can't believe I'm still reading them and they're so fast and easy like potato chips. I try to wait until the whole series is out and then gulp, two a day or more. But my real guilty pleasure reading wise is fanfiction, the slashy or kinky kind that does things no author intended her characters to ever do.

Return to “Discuss Authors”