Edgar Allen poe

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
empror
Bookshelf Size: 0

Edgar Allen poe

Post by empror »

What authors are similar to poes style? I have only read some of his work but I like it and wanted to know what else would be good to read.
she8178
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-she8178.html
Latest Review: "Embers at Galdrilene" by A.D.Trosper

Post by she8178 »

Some of Hawthorne would be good. I suspect you'd also greatly like Matthew Lewis (author of The Monk), Charles Maturin (Melmoth the Wanderer), and Lautreamont (Maldoror). Others of the past you might enjoy are William Godwin (St. Leon), William Bedford (Vathek), Horace Walpole (The Castle of Otranto), Thomas Love Peacock (Nightmare Abbey, Crotchet Castle), James Hogg (Private Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner), Anne Radcliffe (several), Jane Austen (Northanger Abbey only), and even Emily Bronte (Wuthering Heights) and the Brothers Grimm.

The main American predecessor of Poe, Melville, and Hawthorne was Charles Brockden Brown. Although Wieland, or The Transformation is his best-known work, I think Edgar Huntly and Ormond are equally or more arresting and often better written.

I think you'd also like some Robert Louis Stevenson, esp. "The Suicide Club" and Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Another author who might prove interesting is J.-K. Huysmans.

A couple of current authors you'd probably want to check out are Chuck Palahniuk and Will Self. Mark Leyner (My Cousin, My Gastroenterologist, etc.) is also pretty dark, demented, and sardonic, but I'm not sure you'll really remember his books once you've read them. But why not try 'em?
Latest Review: "Embers at Galdrilene" by A.D.Trosper
elisaevedent

Post by elisaevedent »

What was Edgar Allen Poe's work that received major recognition?
MelMariah
Currently Reading: A Head Full of Ghosts
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by MelMariah »

elisaevedent wrote:What was Edgar Allen Poe's work that received major recognition?
The Black Cat
The Tell-Tale Heart
The Premature Burial

All very good reads! :)

-- 08 Nov 2012, 16:59 --

Can anybody give me a quick summary of what Edgar Allan Poe's poem 'Alone' is about?
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

elisaevedent wrote:What was Edgar Allen Poe's work that received major recognition?
I think to really appreciate Poe you need to take a hard look at his poetry - it is absolute genius incarnate. That's not me talking, that's every critic who has ever read it. I mentioned before in another thread that his poem The Bells is considered by all critics of note (past and present) to be the finest "sound poem" in the English language.

I was, in fact, so taken by the quality of Poe's poetry that I memorized The Raven just for the hell of it when I was fourteen years old and a freshman in high school. Imagine my surprise when the teacher gave us an assignment to memorize a poem to recite before the class and I already had it done. Eighteen stanzas, and I aced it, "word perfectly". I can almost still do it but the old memory isn't what it used to be. *LOL*

My Favorites of Poe's Poems:

Annabelle Lee
The Raven
The Bells
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

@DATo
I've always loved Poe's peotry, my favourite of his is probably Annabelle Lee.
The Raven always brings to mind this poem which, believe it or not, I used to able to do a damn fine recitation of (if I say so myself!). Isn't it truly amazing how poetry stays in the old grey matter?

poemhunter.com/poem/the-ballad-of-the-l ... ack-hound/
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

Fran wrote:@DATo
I've always loved Poe's peotry, my favourite of his is probably Annabelle Lee.
The Raven always brings to mind this poem which, believe it or not, I used to able to do a damn fine recitation of (if I say so myself!). Isn't it truly amazing how poetry stays in the old grey matter?

poemhunter.com/poem/the-ballad-of-the-l ... ack-hound/
Fran,

The man was PROFOUNDLY gifted in the art of verse, and it seems to flow from him with such effortlessness ease as to stagger the imagination of mere mortals like myself.

Alliteration : ( from The Raven )

And the silken, sad, uncertain rustling of each purple curtain ...

Combining Internal rhyme & alliteration on the S sound: (from Annabelle Lee )

And neither the angels in Heaven above, nor the demons down under the sea
Can ever dissever my soul from the soul of the beautiful Annabelle Lee

This one small example below perhaps serves to illustrate WHY The Bells is considered the most perfect sound poem in the English language. : Alternating alliteration on the K & S sounds, drawing them closer in the second and third lines, then merging them fully at the end, in the word "crystalline" in one syllable!!! .... WOW !!! .... Hard enough to just find such lyrically complementary words, much less install them into a perfectly phrased stanza that also perfectly captures the essence of the theme. He was truly a very rare genius that comes once in an age. (from The Bells )

How they tinkle, tinkle, tinkle in the icy air of night
While the stars that oversprinkle
All the heavens, seem to twinkle
With a crystalline delight

A critic once wrote of this entire poem - "The Bells is a poem that transcends art - it approaches magic."

PS: Liked the poem you linked to. Very much in the Poe tradition.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
StephenKingman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

Post by StephenKingman »

I have the complete works of Poe book lying somewhere in the room and I would like to get around to it over the next few weeks, if only for curiosity. I seem to recall a famous quote attributed to him along the lines of "Darker than Neptunes beach" or something along that line, always stayed with me. :D
You only live once.....so live!
perusaphone
Favorite Author: Saki
Favorite Book: Have not found it yet
Currently Reading: As many as possible.
fav_author_id: 14031

Post by perusaphone »

Wasn't there a film made of 'The Raven' with Karloff and someone else....???
Morphing into a misanthrope by existence in the human(?) race.....
MelMariah
Currently Reading: A Head Full of Ghosts
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by MelMariah »

I think that's in the New Releases section at my
Video store
perusaphone
Favorite Author: Saki
Favorite Book: Have not found it yet
Currently Reading: As many as possible.
fav_author_id: 14031

Post by perusaphone »

Cannot be a new release, I saw it years ago when I used to watch the electric fishtank......... that is why I asked about it. ! I was sure there was a film, but it could have all been a dream ???? I recall Vincent Price doing the narration... ???? Buy it and send the bill to someone you do not like, watch it and let us know your thoughts...

Strange the things that are now reproduced, I saw yet another dvd release of Nosferatu the other day with a different soundtrack again... weird world we live in these days.
Morphing into a misanthrope by existence in the human(?) race.....
ralfy

Post by ralfy »

Go for the Library of America editions of Poe, Hawthorne, and others.
AsHlEy94

Post by AsHlEy94 »

Edgar Allen Poe is one of my favorite writers. His life was a mess, and many of his stories are revisions of his life, in some form or fashion.
FNAWrite

Post by FNAWrite »

"illustrate WHY The Bells is considered the most perfect sound poem in the English language"

Does anyone have a source for this claim?

I have always loved Poe's poetry, but I was unaware that it is critically lauded.
Phoenix98

Post by Phoenix98 »

AsHlEy94 wrote:Edgar Allen Poe is one of my favorite writers. His life was a mess, and many of his stories are revisions of his life, in some form or fashion.
Yes, washing out at West Point, the accusations of alcoholism, deaths: his life was a mess. Apparently there was periodic concern about day to day survival--he was only paid $10 for The Raven.

I'd have to say I like Poe, and I've read him completely; but not a favorite.
Token conservative

Return to “Discuss Authors”