Edgar Allen poe

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Nathrad Sheare
Favorite Author: Hawthorne and Poe
Favorite Book: The Scarlet Letter
Currently Reading: Too much
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathrad-sheare.html
Latest Review: "No Poverty Between the Sheets" by Pauline Kiely

Re: Edgar Allen poe

Post by Nathrad Sheare »

One author I know of who would be important for any Poe fan to read is his inspiration, E.T.A Hoffmann. His short fiction and novellas, which include "Nutcracker and the King of Mice," which takes a sinister turn from the incredibly famous ballet, (battered with criticism unduly in its time) "Signor Formica," one of my personal favorites, "The Sandman," one of Hoffmann's darkest tales, and that which was acclaimed as being his most creative and colorful, "The Golden Flower Pot." In almost all ways Hoffmann can be considered the father of Romanticism. He was the first to give Beethoven any credit for the genius he had, and was such a lover of music, though only mildly successful at composing it, that he added Amadeus to his name in honor of his idol, Mozart. Poe mentioned him in some of his letters as a muse of sorts. His darker fantasies were particularly favored by the harsh critical one of Poe's several public personalities. Another story of Hoffmann's I, personally, was ecstatic to have read was "Rath Krespel." I would like to be as multitalented as he was. He was an accomplished painter and sketch artist, an incredibly gifted writer, and an entertaining personality. I could go on and on, but I won't... Though it's my very strong belief that, if you loved Poe, Hoffmann will be irresistible. :D
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who only dream at night.

-Edgar Allan Poe
jaguilar
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaguilar.html

Post by jaguilar »

I love the way he reaches in to the dark side of human psyche and emotion it's sort of empowering in a weird way, if humans can harness the power of the mind we can overcome so many seemingly hopeless situations
shayna
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shayna.html
Latest Review: "T Wave" by Steven F. Freeman

Post by shayna »

Nobody can replicate the brilliance of Poe. He stands alone.
Latest Review: "T Wave" by Steven F. Freeman
soccerstar95
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-soccerstar95.html
Latest Review: "Introducing The Helmholtz Resonators" by The Helmholtz Resonators, illustrated by James Lightfoot

Post by soccerstar95 »

Poe was one seriously talented writer who had a really hard life. It's fortunate that he was able to put his life in the form of his brilliant works.
Latest Review: "Introducing The Helmholtz Resonators" by The Helmholtz Resonators, illustrated by James Lightfoot
Loveabull
Favorite Author: Too many to list
Favorite Book: Too many to count

Post by Loveabull »

My sister in law was really into Poe, I only read him in school. One side note for Poe Lovers, the Northern Sun company has a t shirt " Just a Poe boy, from a Poe family". Depending on your sense of humor it's a hoot. :lol:
" The writer must write what he has to say, not speak it."
Fallen Apostate
Favorite Author: Edgar Allen Poe
Favorite Book: La Silla del Aguila
Currently Reading: The Games People Play
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fallen-apostate.html
fav_author_id: 4228

Post by Fallen Apostate »

Poe is unique in style, not many writers come close to writing like him. I'd say he is one of my favorites, possibly number 1.
Nathrad Sheare

Post by Nathrad Sheare »

I was amazed at Poe's versatility as a writer. He could be darn funny at times, such as in The Angel of the Odd and Some Words with a Mummy, then produce the ultimate nightmare, (Oh, the many we treasure) all the while inventing the detective story as we know it today. (E.g. The Gold Bug, The Mystery of Marie Roget, The Murders in the Rue Morgue) My favorite story of his is William Wilson, with its Secret Window kind of plot. Imagine having to find out YOU are the man you've been fearing and hating and running from... It's an amazing narrative.

Yup, I think Poe was one of the BEST things ever to happen to literature! Together with Nathaniel Hawthorne, who invented the short story, he perfected its form and gave us something truly exceptional to look to for inspiration. One is surprised at the coherence with which he wrote, his alleged "affectedness" considered. I don't believe he was insane, myself, not in that way. He was heartbroken, creative, and weary of living, but not Arkham Asylum certifiable. Has anyone here read any of his essays and critical articles? Eloquent and insightful.

Anyway... I've been a fan since I was fourteen. I read "The Tell- Tale Heart" and "The Raven" in school and wanted all his fiction and poetry, and got it, too, in an elegant and sinister black and red volume with pages bound in shimmering gold. I'm sure most of you have seen it staring at the door from a "Complete Collections" shelf at Barnes and Noble. :D I've read it almost all the way through. I just have to finish the novel... In good time.
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who only dream at night.

-Edgar Allan Poe
Amberle
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amberle.html

Post by Amberle »

About a week ago, I finished reading Poe’s novel, The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket. It really, really made me appreciate the fact that he wrote mostly short stories, instead of novels. And then, when I found out Jules Verne wrote a sequel to 'Pym', I was super excited, but then terribly disappointed when I actually read it. Two of my favorite authors, and the two books were kind of a major let down... Had to go off and read a ton of H.P. Lovecraft, to remind myself why books are good things.
Scorsee
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scorsee.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Scorsee »

Ten dollars for The Raven!? Saaaaad :(

I love Poe's work and The Raven is one of the only poems I've memorized. It's so haunting.
“It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.” -Albus Dumbledore
zifranka
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zifranka.html

Post by zifranka »

His work is so honest it's almost painful to read. Honest in the sense that you just know it came from somewhere deep within him, and there's no one else who could have written it the way he did. The story, no matter what it was about, grows legs and wings and a beating heart. I can't explain it but it's really creepy. It's as though he's present, reading it to you. I guess one way to term it is, 'atmospheric', but really that'd be trivializing the experience of reading Poe.
thsavage2
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thsavage2.html
Latest Review: "The Edifice (Drifter Book 1)" by R. K. Holliday

Post by thsavage2 »

One of my favorite writers. Brilliant. A bit messed up, but brilliant. I love "The Raven" and "The Bells" -- I'd recommend listening to the latter as performed by a professional, that one is meant to be listened to. His short stories, especially his Dupin stories, are gripping and dark and filled with sensations as well.

If you like the Dupin stories, read Sherlock Holmes--Poe invented the deductive genius character, not Arthur Conan Doyle, although ACD's contributions are most definitely not to be diminished because of this. Also there is a group of Latin and South American writers who were influenced by Poe, such as Borges, Quiroga, and Cortazar. Their short stories are phenomenal.

I'd also recommend some of Poe's analytical writing, there's one essay where he describes how he conceived and composed "The Raven" and it is utterly fascinating. It is a very deliberate and almost mathematical process. I can't praise him enough. (Also, does anyone else feel an opportunity is wasted when we don't refer to him and his work as Edgar Allan Poetry or Edgar Allan Poems?)
Latest Review: "The Edifice (Drifter Book 1)" by R. K. Holliday
Nathrad Sheare

Post by Nathrad Sheare »

His essay, "Eureka" is one of the most eloquent works I've ever read. Poe's genius is undeniable. Everybody says he was just a crazy guy who liked to write, but I don't think so. Everything he did was so carefully thought out. It's hard for me to think he was JUST insane. That's not to say he didn't have issues... but...

-Edgar Allan Poe
lizzieclifton
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizzieclifton.html

Post by lizzieclifton »

Edgar Allan Poe is one of those writers that still to this day you can read and there is nothing else like it. He tackled so many different writing styles. My favorite writer for sure.
Alden Loveshade
Favorite Author: Whoever I am reading

Post by Alden Loveshade »

MelMariah wrote:
elisaevedent wrote:
Can anybody give me a quick summary of what Edgar Allan Poe's poem 'Alone' is about?
"Alone"

"From childhood's hour I have not been
As others were; I have not seen
As others saw; I could not bring
My passions from a common spring.
From the same source I have not taken
My sorrow; I could not awaken
My heart to joy at the same tone;
And all I loved, I loved alone.
Then- in my childhood, in the dawn
Of a most stormy life- was drawn
From every depth of good and ill
The mystery which binds me still:
From the torrent, or the fountain,
From the red cliff of the mountain,
From the sun that round me rolled
In its autumn tint of gold,
From the lightning in the sky
As it passed me flying by,
From the thunder and the storm,
And the cloud that took the form
(When the rest of Heaven was blue)
Of a demon in my view."

I related to this poem when I read it as a teenager more than to perhaps any poem I'd ever read.

Of course I can only guess what Poe had in mind. Poe was a young man when he wrote it, and had not yet had literary success, but had already seen tragedy.

I shared with him the feeling of aloneness, of not fitting in, of seeing the world differently than his peers. Cloud shapes are something each individual sees, and what shape they imagine tells perhaps more about the individual than the cloud. In the midst of a blue sky shared by the masses, Poe saw a demon, a demon that was only his. I suspect the demon in his view never left him.
LarryWilto

Post by LarryWilto »

Poe was the first author who scared me. Tell Tale Heart freaked me out, then and now.

Return to “Discuss Authors”