Which author started it all for you?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
alyssamorgan-8
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alyssamorgan-8.html

Re: Which author started it all for you?

Post by alyssamorgan-8 »

I don't think there is a specific author because I have been reading my whole life but I do remember checking all the Judy Blume books out of the library as a child. Another author that stands out in my mind is J.K. Rowling. The Harry Potter books came out I was 7 and my mom & I would read them together before I went to bed.
reading rocknroll
Currently Reading: If I was your girl
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reading-rocknroll.html

Post by reading rocknroll »

For me, it was Suzanne Collins as well. I was in 5th grade and I read the whole series in three days! After that I was hooked on reading. J.K.Rowling is another great author that really got me started on reading too! I'm so thankful for these talented ladies!! :D
shareetolentino
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by shareetolentino »

I first got into reading books when my parents got me the Harry Potter titles. Soon enough, I entered high schools and began experimenting with other authors. Admittedly, I had read a LOT of romantic novels - probably too many for my own good. As soon as I entered college, though, I shifted to the likes of Paolo Coelho. Since then, I've spread my reading palette a bit more.
Rebecca675
Currently Reading: Spirit of Horses
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebecca675.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Rebecca675 »

In second grade I read King of the Wind by Marguerite Henry. My parents instilled a love of reading in us and I had always loved children's books and being read to, but that is the first big, grown up book that I read all by myself and I was so proud of myself!!

After that it was a point of pride that I could read large books and I became an even more vociferous reader!
Himanshu+Dahiya01

Post by Himanshu+Dahiya01 »

Well for me it was Anne Frank. Her book The Diary Of A Young Girl, that book got me into reading. It was so beautiful. Her experience in Annex and all the things going on in Germany and Hitler and his rules for jews were so heart-breaking. And the thing that i love the most about this book is that it's Non-Fiction, all the characters in the books really existed.
Summer3706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-summer3706.html

Post by Summer3706 »

For me it was Stephen King. I was always able to "get into" his books. They never dissapoint.
Naomi_Grace
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naomi-grace.html

Post by Naomi_Grace »

As a child I read a lot of Enid Blyton, and that is probably what started me off! Can't miss out good old JK Rowling though! Always was and remains a firm favourite!
dukedashpfan

Post by dukedashpfan »

J.K. Rowling, like many others.
mking0803
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mking0803.html

Post by mking0803 »

Honestly, Stephanie Meyers. I know, I know but she did. I took some creative writing and English classes after that and realized that the writing was not the best. However, I still have a soft spot for her because it was the first series I ever read.
Tiff-thebookworm
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tiff-thebookworm.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Tiff-thebookworm »

Believe it or Beatrice Small started it all for me and now she is still in my top 10 favorite authors of all time. Nothing like Highlanders might's in Scotland to start a vivid and loving passion!
Shadesan

Post by Shadesan »

For me it has to be Piers Anthony and his Incarnations of Immortality. The way he was able to integrate the specter that we know and have learned about into them once being human and is their positions just being jobs drew me in to this world. Thank you Mr. Anthony I owe you.....
sfanntastic
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by sfanntastic »

Norman Mailer actually got me hooked on books. There have been several authors after him that I have admired, however his book "The Executioner's Song" kept me in my seat, and drew me into the story. I was basically a child when this happened, and to date, this is still my favorite book of all time.
IsoldeSkogsra
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isoldeskogsra.html

Post by IsoldeSkogsra »

Jack Kerouac. He is everything.
AshleyWododson97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashleywododson97.html

Post by AshleyWododson97 »

For me, Alexandria Brackens' The Darkest Minds trilogy were the books that made me really fall in love with reading. Growing up, I was always below grade level when it came to reading and comprehension and in turn never really wanted to read for that reason. Now I love to read for fun and I couldn't imagine my life without it! :D
clh459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clh459.html

Post by clh459 »

J.D. Robb tops the list for sure. I can't wait for each new release to see what Eve and Rourke are up to.

Return to “Discuss Authors”