Which author started it all for you?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Lady Countryrose
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-countryrose.html

Re: Which author started it all for you?

Post by Lady Countryrose »

I think it was Charles Dickins. It was poetry on the page.
etherealxadj
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-etherealxadj.html

Post by etherealxadj »

Reading has always been a passion of mine. I've been reading since I was small. I think the book "Bleed Like Me," is the first book that has really gotten to me. The author is C. Desir I recommend it highly. It's very different, but that's the best part.
ebeth
Currently Reading: The Color of Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebeth.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B0097BEFA4

Post by ebeth »

The author who started it all for me is not alive today. The first series of books I read when I was younger was the Little House on the Prarie books by Laura Ingalls Wilder. I could not put those down. I also think that is what started for me for enjoying reading more of the thicker books and series. They keep going and going.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Whos_that20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whos-that20.html

Post by Whos_that20 »

A few for me.I liked reading the Tarzan books by Edgar Rice Burroughs.The first book was long winded at first,but after I got past the first part of the book it was very interesting.I got caught up in them but had to stop after I couldn't find a book in the series and I didn`t wanna skip any because I would easily be lost.I also liked C.S. Lewis and how he painted whole other worlds in his books which sucked me in.Dean Koontz books I could not put down once I started reading them .My only dissapointment with his books are that they seem to be set in California,but I was used to reading books about other worlds by the time I got to him .
Sanda Milinkovic

Post by Sanda Milinkovic »

According to my mum, the first book I laid my hands on was Bambi, when I was five, from Disney. After that, when I was around eight or nine, I got completely hooked up on the series "The Famous Five". Those were children's adventure novels written by Enid Blyton. I think she got me. After that, I started to write some adventures by myself. Her style was easy for me in that age to read. Her novels were light and they had a great message about friendship. Something that we are all looking for. Later when I was much older, I bought some of those books. Now they are on a shelf reminding me how a book can have a great impact on you.
LaceyKHarrison
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by LaceyKHarrison »

Karen Kingsbury!

I have always somewhat enjoyed reading but never really made much time for it. When I was pregnant with my first child, I was put on bed rest for a couple of weeks and somebody loaned me Redemption by Karen Kingsbury. I spent the last few weeks of my pregnancy and my maternity leave reading all of her Baxter Family series. Once I completed that series, I could not wait to get my hands on her other books as well. My love for books quickly grew and I have pretty much had some type of book going ever since then.
teres_major

Post by teres_major »

I have always loved reading even as a child. I remember being given a box of books(crossword books, novels, etc) as a child by my godfather and till that it has remained my best gift ever.
I got hooked into reading by Enid blyton with famous five series, then Sir Aurthur Conan Doyle with sherlock Holmes.
SerendipityThree
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serendipitythree.html

Post by SerendipityThree »

There was a time when I read a lot of romance novels. Sidney Sheldon was a favorite that got me going. As time passed, my interests changed, I found myself reading motivational and self improvement leadership type of books by authors such as Norman Vince Peale, Stephen Covey and Napoleon Hill.
Abby131
Currently Reading: City of Heavenly Fire
Bookshelf Size: 24

Post by Abby131 »

Alyson Noel started it all for me. When I discovered her books, I fell in love. I have always enjoyed reading since I was a small child, but I really got into it after I picked up Noel's books. After that, it just kept rolling. I would find book after book I would want to read. Now I have more books on my to read list than I can count!
PacerMac88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pacermac88.html

Post by PacerMac88 »

J.D. Salinger, Catcher in the Rye, everyone else hated reading it in English class.
BookWormBri
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookwormbri.html

Post by BookWormBri »

Definitely SE Hinton! The outsiders was the first book I read independent from school. I laughed and cried, then read every other book she wrote! I will say, though The outsiders was definitely the best of them and they were all very similar, I enjoyed them and began my treck through the lovely world of books. :techie-studyingbrown:
sandra tomko
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandra-tomko.html

Post by sandra tomko »

As a young girl, I couldn't read books by Judy Blume fast enough. I would always wait for a new arrival to come out and use my allowance to be the first one to buy it and read it. :lol:
SarahNewtown
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahnewtown.html

Post by SarahNewtown »

I have loved to read since childhood. I don't remember any particular author that started my childhood reading journey. I just loved books. However, as a juvenile, I discovered Harry Potter and that did it for me. So you could say J.K. Rowling began my reading fanaticism.
Chris Manning
Currently Reading: Neuromancer
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-manning.html
Latest Review: "Sunspots" by Gary Martin
Reading Device: B01EVOWRCY

Post by Chris Manning »

The book that's had the biggest impact on me (so far) and has, consequently, turned me into a life-long reader is "Roots" by Alex Haley. I think I read it when I was 17 or 18, and I finished it in three or four days. It was one those books. Of course, I'd read books for school and for enjoyment, but this one was different. It not only transported me to a different place, but it hit me emotionally as well, right in the gut. I'd never encountered that in a book before and I'm not sure I have since (at least not to that level). I've been a reading fanatic ever since. So, thank you very much Mr. Haley (wherever you are).
Latest Review: "Sunspots" by Gary Martin
AnitaCox
Currently Reading: Ulterior Designs
Bookshelf Size: 27

Post by AnitaCox »

At first, it was John Grisham...but then I felt like I was reading the same book over and over. Now I'm a huge David Baldacci fan.

Return to “Discuss Authors”