Can you enjoy the work of an author if s/he is a total jerk?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
dhaller
Currently Reading: The Moral Arc
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhaller.html
Latest Review: "Off to See the Wizard" by Clay Johnson

Re: Can you enjoy the work of an author if s/he is a total j

Post by dhaller »

Yes. I think it's possible to enjoy someone's work and dislike them at the same time.

For instance: I was born Jewish, and I still enjoy Nietsche.

Frankly, if you want to enjoy any fiction written far in the past, I give you even odds that the author was (by today's moral standards) a horrible person.
Latest Review: "Off to See the Wizard" by Clay Johnson
kyriakich
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by kyriakich »

To be honest the time I am reading his/her book, it doesn't come to my mind of the awful thing he/she did. The point at the time of reading is the work itself. Now, if I find out or hear that he/she committed sth illegal or morally wrong, I would actually consider for a moment about it. But if his/her work was respectable, then there is no point of discharging a good evening's read...
adultadhdman
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adultadhdman.html

Post by adultadhdman »

It definitely skews my perception of the author if I find out that they are a jerk. I still try to have an open mind, though, and believe that I can learn and appreciate from most authors, save a few, of course!

Return to “Discuss Authors”