Philippa Gregory

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
wendyj
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendyj.html
Latest Review: "The Smile Ambassadors" by Jeffrey Reid

Re: Philippa Gregory

Post by wendyj »

I'm also a huge fan. Historical fiction, especially the kings of England are my favorite. There are a lot of great books out there in this genre but I can always count on Philippa Gregory for a good story mixed with a large amount of historical fact.
Latest Review: "The Smile Ambassadors" by Jeffrey Reid
rupajoshi
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by rupajoshi »

I absolutely love Philippa Gregory, and have read most of her books.

I am going through a phase of reading a lot of historical fiction and I am currently reading Dissolution by CJ Samson.

I read The White Queen before it became a TV show in the UK, and was thrilled to see it on TV and done so well. It really brought the characters to life for me.

If you havent read the Luca Vero trilogy, it is absolutely amazing.

Rupa
rachel1227

Post by rachel1227 »

I love Philippa Gregory.

What is the Luca Vero trilogy?
Niknak9306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-niknak9306.html

Post by Niknak9306 »

The historical fiction from that period seems to be very popular. I loved the other Boleyn girl and am looking forward to reading more from her.
pagenumber394
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pagenumber394.html

Post by pagenumber394 »

I did enjoy these books. I read the White Queen and the Red Queen. I put LAdy of the Rivers on hold (on my bookshelf). I needed a break for historical fiction, and there were other books to read. I will go back to it soon. It has been a year.

I picked up Paris by Edward Ruthfurd. This is suppose to be historical fiction. I heard great reviews from his other work. I want New York next if I like this novel.
mandap24
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandap24.html
Latest Review: "Usu" by Jayde Ver Elst

Post by mandap24 »

I've only read The Other Boleyn Girl (movie did not do it justice at all)
From that book I can tell Gregory has a writing style that makes her long books easy to read.
I think it's interesting that she retells these historical stories.
Latest Review: "Usu" by Jayde Ver Elst
bettiekrueger

Post by bettiekrueger »

I have loved everything I have read by Philippa Gregory, by far the Cousin's War series is my favorite. I also loved the television series and was very sad to see it end.
Ccesare25

Post by Ccesare25 »

I'm not sure about anyone else but I am looking forward to ms Gregory's newest book coming out this month. If you are looking for other historical fiction authors you could try C.W. Gortner, Anne O'Brien, Jean Plaidy, Sarah Dunant, Karen Harper... Just to name a few! I an avid reader of historical fiction and I do like how Philippa Gregory's books are easy to read. Some previously mentioned the Wideacre trilogy - I have to say I found these a little difficult to stomach, especially the relationship between the brother and sister in the first book.
BookFever
Favorite Book: I could not possibly choose.
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookfever.html
Latest Review: "You, in Your Green Shirt" by Barbara Monier

Post by BookFever »

Is the Luca Vero trilogy referring to her Order of Darkness YA series? I have the books and will read them but I have been seeing really bad reviews for those specific books and so I think I have been putting them off. Has anyone found them to be worthwhile?

I love her historical fiction books. I think I have read them all except for the Wideacre series and they have been a really nice way to get some historical organization ingrained into my head but also with an interesting storyline. The White Queen and The Tudors were both really good TV adaptations, too.
Latest Review: "You, in Your Green Shirt" by Barbara Monier
skybunny775

Post by skybunny775 »

I love historical fiction and love Philippa Gregory. My favorite was the Kingmaker's Daughter and The Other Queen.
She does put a lot of research into her books and her characters are very well developed
SuduNona
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sudunona.html

Post by SuduNona »

I went to see Phillippa Gregory do a reading in my local city, in fact I have seen her twice. I felt she was a great performer - a little too focused on the sexy side of history maybe, but hey, this is probably why people pay to see her!

On the strength of this I went to the library, found some of her books and settled in for a marathon read. I am afraid I never got further than halfway into most of them because she irritated me by recapping what she had already written. It was like having a perpetual preview every time you started a new chapter. So, sorry, I read no more.
dheyd
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dheyd.html

Post by dheyd »

I really enjoyed her Tudor Series, but I usually stay away from historical fiction because I can never really get into them. So, I'm sorry to say, I can't recommend any similar books.
Mickaila
Favorite Author: Edgar Allan Poe
Favorite Book: The Iliad
Currently Reading: Most Evil by Michael Stone
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mickaila.html
Latest Review: "Liar Lindly Brandt" by Aften Brook Szymanski
fav_author_id: 4642

Post by Mickaila »

I think she's a bit odd, perverted and such but I did like the other boleyn girl. I think that was my favorite book of hers, despite the way she took some liberties. I would much rather get original historical fiction than based on actual events. Fran mentioned a good series, I would check it out.
Latest Review: "Liar Lindly Brandt" by Aften Brook Szymanski
90skids
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-90skids.html

Post by 90skids »

The White Queen has to be my favourite.
Jennie_Creates

Post by Jennie_Creates »

Philippa Gregory is a lovely, thoughtful writer who brings history to life. I've read nearly all of her books and always find her stories delightful and intriguing. Allison Weir has a similar style, though I think she weaves even more historical truth into her fiction, but that might be because she writes non-fiction history books as well. You should check her out.

Return to “Discuss Authors”