C.S Lewis and J.R.R Tolkien

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
william309
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by william309 »

I think Lewis's Narnia chronicles were more aimed at Kids, but I think The Hobbit was a great book for children, I read it myself as a child and I loved it.
perusaphone
Favorite Author: Saki
Favorite Book: Have not found it yet
Currently Reading: As many as possible.
fav_author_id: 14031

Post by perusaphone »

An American published book entitled 'The Magicians Book' by Laura Miller, goes some way to explain all the tie ups with Tolkien/Lewis and the reading writing exploits therein, whilst they were at Magdalen University, Cambridge in and around 1929....
The book is more about 'Narnia', but interesting...
Reading lady
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reading-lady.html
Latest Review: "Cunnilingus Mastery" by John M

Post by Reading lady »

I enjoyed The Hobbit but really had to force myself to finish the trilogy. I much preferred the Narnia set. His other work is still on my reading list.
Latest Review: "Cunnilingus Mastery" by John M
Kdecicco
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdecicco.html

Post by Kdecicco »

Absolutely loved reading the Narnia series to my children......so much background and meaning in them that is not translated well to the screen.
LoremasterTappa
Favorite Author: Christie Golden
Favorite Book: Depends on the week
Currently Reading: War Crimes by Christie Golden
fav_author_id: 4515

Post by LoremasterTappa »

I enjoy both series. With the books I cannot really pick one as being favorite over the other one. That being said, with the movies I much prefer Lord of the Rings over Narnia. Although, truth be told, The Hobbit was severely lacking over the first three movies. It has been a while since I have read Chronicles of Narnia. I may have to re-read it soon.

I didn't know the two authors knew each other. That is definitely fascinating. Thank you for sharing.
2Friendly
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Favorite Book: The False Prince
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-2friendly.html
Latest Review: "THE EMPTY WORLD" by Andrew Reeves
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by 2Friendly »

crystalflower wrote:Most of Lewis' other work is Christian Theology. Heavier than most things available today. His best, I feel was The Screwtape Letters.
I've never read The Screwtape Letters all the way through, but what i did read was really good. I'll have to go back to it again soon.
Latest Review: "THE EMPTY WORLD" by Andrew Reeves
Norma_Rudolph
Favorite Author: Mary Stewart
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =4245">The Gift of Lies</a>
Currently Reading: Enchantment
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-norma-rudolph.html
Latest Review: "Desolate" by Stephanie Binding
fav_author_id: 10582

Post by Norma_Rudolph »

I love both authors but as was said, they are "worlds" apart. Each is strong as well as weak in their own ways. Each has influenced the science fiction/fantasy genre immensely.
Latest Review: "Desolate" by Stephanie Binding

Return to “Discuss Authors”