Your Rating and Overall Opinion of Thin Places

Discuss the February 2013 book of the month "Thin Places" by Diane Owens Prettyman.

How do you rate "Thin Places"?

1 star - poor, recommend against reading it
No votes
2 stars - fair, okay
40%
3 stars - good, recommend it
30%
4 stars - excellent, amazing
30%

Total votes: 10

Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Your Rating and Overall Opinion of Thin Places

Post by Scott »

What do you think of the February 2013 book of the month, "Thin Places" by Diane Owens Prettyman? What would you rate it and why?

I enjoyed reading this book a lot. I especially appreciated the characters. Finn and Chloe's flaws made them realistic, relatable and dramatic but they remained heroic and I found myself rooting for them throughout the book. With many newer authors -- and young kid's superhero cartoons -- I find this isn't the case in that they instead provide protagonists that are perfect good guys overcoming obstacle after obstacle. I also think the story is exciting and in some ways fast-paced, while still taking the time to keep up suspense and develop the story. This was especially nice since in some ways the story headed gradually towards a somewhat cliche jewelry heist plot. But with the clever, balanced development and character-focused narration, I think it avoided being cliche and instead offers a very original experience.

What do you think?

I also created a topic that will allow spoilers to discuss the ending in particular.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Jenn9841
In It Together VIP
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenn9841.html

Post by Jenn9841 »

At the risk of making a truly terrible pun, I found the book good but thin in places. I loved that Chloe and Finn were more realistically-flawed and developed than many protagonists. The story was fun, the descriptive writing was enjoyable, and the book had enough unique elements to avoid feeling stale. But, I would have loved to see more development of the minor characters and more background on the narrative tale. Duke, for example, just appeared in Chloe's life before Finn even meets Chloe. The book never satisfactorily explains why Duke thought Chloe could lead him to a treasure she originally knew nothing about or what he was initially planning. Similarly, at the end of the book, characters like Chloe's mother, Jacob, Butch, and even Finn's father remain bare sketches or caricatures. There is very little back story regarding how Chloe's father became involved in the jewel saga or how the jewels ended up where they were. Overall, the underdeveloped minor characters and plot points make what could have been a great book only good.
Meg_egg
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Meg_egg »

I would give it 3 starts. I would recommend it to someone who is looking for a quick read. It was predictable yet kept you interested. I, like others, liked the fact that the characters were flawed in ways like normal people. I could see many people in my life that have went through similar circumstances with being in jail and losing a father to death row. I do wish that there was a little more background and development of some of the minor characters. It moved really fast. There were times that I had to stop and ask myself what just happened? It was short and sweet. Overall a good book.
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Post by kio »

I agree, the plot was thin, but I liked some of the characters.
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
aaa123
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaa123.html

Post by aaa123 »

My favourite aspect of the book is definitely the characters who are interesting.
AlphariusRE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alphariusre.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by AlphariusRE »

The plot was shallow (less developed?) but the twists and turns were awesome. However, I won't be recommending this book to anyone for a read.
Abdulwahab Maryam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abdulwahab-maryam.html
Latest Review: The Inner CEO by Jeremy Blain

Post by Abdulwahab Maryam »

The intriguing individuals in the book are without a doubt its best feature.
Mikail Light
Currently Reading: Terms of Service
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mikail-nurur-rahmon.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Mikail Light »

I do wish that there was a little more background and development of some of the minor characters.
The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new.~ Socrates :techie-studyingbrown:
Crystal Beauparland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crystal-beauparland.html
Latest Review: Thin Places by Diane Owens Prettyman

Post by Crystal Beauparland »

I thought it was a good book. It was a quick read with good relatable characters. I do agree with some of the others that there should be a little more background and development of the minor characters. It did keep you interested, but sometimes it seemed like the book was a little hurried in places and had me going "did I miss something". I would recommend it to someone who was looking for a quick read.

Return to “"Thin Places" by Diane Owens Prettyman”