Featured Review: The Sword of Goliath by Anthony Jones

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Eric Morris
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading: The Other Daughter
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacnthabox.html
Latest Review: Acts of the Shaddai by Anthony Jones
fav_author_id: 4040

Featured Review: The Sword of Goliath by Anthony Jones

Post by Eric Morris »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Sword of Goliath" by Anthony Jones.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

For Christians and non-Christians alike, The Holy Bible is a tome full of mystery, riddles, and speculation. As such, the stories contained therein have spawned an entire genre of fictitious tales seeking to explain the unanswered questions of the Christian holy book. Whether it be the story of creation, the location of the Garden of Eden, the final resting place of Noah’s Ark, or the healing power of the cup Jesus drank from at the Last Supper, countless authors have found success speculating The Bible’s timeless lore. The Sword of Goliath, the first book of The Bloodline Chronicles by Anthony Jones, is no different. Drawing on the controversy surrounding the Nephilim, half-angel half-human beings who are briefly mentioned in the sixth chapter of the Book of Genesis, Mr. Jones has crafted a tale that assumes the bloodline of the Nephilim still exists. Although they are unaware, these powerful beings walk the earth as regular humans until being “awakened” by another member of the bloodline. Some are righteous; some are demonic. All are called to be soldiers in the ultimate battle between good and evil.

The Sword of Goliath focuses itself primarily on a man named Jacob (or Jake) Stanton, who is spending his days in San Quentin Penitentiary for a crime he did not commit. Jake was wrongly accused, unfairly tried, and unreasonably sentenced for the murder of his wife, and he’s just lost his final appeal. As Jake begins to mentally prepare for life inside the walls of San Quentin, he’s assigned a new cell-mate, Stephen Stross. Stross befriends Jake and, in earning Jake’s trust, convinces him that he is a member of the Shaddai. The Shaddai, descendants of the Biblical Nephilim through the bloodline of Seth, are on the hunt for twelve artifacts that will help them to win the final battle over the demonic Grigori; they believe the key to finding one of these powerful artifacts, the sword of Goliath, rests inside the mind of Jake Stanton. After engineering a successful escape from San Quentin, Jake and Stephen begin the quest for the legendary lost sword, but it will not be an easy effort. As escaped convicts, they are on the run from the law; as Shaddai, they are the targets of the Grigori and its evil underlord Zoltar. Jake is going to need every resource imaginable, from skeptical law enforcement agent Sam Jericho; to prophets of the Old Testament; to the hand of God Himself. The Final Battle has begun, not only in this world, but in other unseen dimensions; and Jake Stanton may be the catalyst for victory or the harbinger of doom.

For those who enjoy stories spun out of Biblical speculation, there is much to love about The Sword of Goliath. Foremost is the fact that the cornerstone of this novel is based around a true mystery of the Bible, the fate of the Nephilim. Whereas Brown’s The Da Vinci Code and Knox’s The Genesis Secret rely on heavily debunked assertions to support fallacious premises, Anthony Jones contrives this tale around a piece of scripture that, across millennia, has yet to be fully explained or understood. However improbable, the nature of this book still lies within the realm of “possible,” and that alone lends a huge amount of credibility to the author. Also to Mr. Jones’s credit is his ability to extrapolate the ideas of angels and demons, as well as Divine Intervention, through the use of interdimensional worlds. One such world is The Crossing, a Purgatory-like land eerily similar to Dekker’s Other Earth in the Circle series. It is in The Crossing that the Shaddai can communicate with deceased loved ones, Shaddai ancestry (including the prophet Samuel), and even Jesus of Nazareth; The Crossing, as well as other dimensions, serve to both simplify and enhance such Christian ideals as human suffering, unconditional love, and the nature of sin, using both imagery and appropriate narrative. Regarding appropriate narrative, Mr. Jones does the reader a third and final favor: He writes for the appeal of a wide audience. A glaring problem in the Christian Fiction genre is that the characters are often too faithful to be flawed; conversely, secular fiction finds characters so flawed that even a dynamic revelation or redemptive event can’t bring them closer to God. The Sword of Goliath makes no assumptions about the religious background of the reader and instead seeks to tell a good story steeped in the Christian faith while allowing its characters to struggle under the weight of their own humanity.

The Sword of Goliath is a solid story with a great foundation; however, there are a few elements that I found disagreeable, and they all seem to center on the novel’s two most prominent minor characters, Sam Jericho and Dr. Ruth Springer. These two develop a close relationship as the novel progresses, but their conversations are almost as awkward as two shy seventh graders on a bad blind date. Their verbal communication is always clunky and feels completely forced. Also, Dr. Springer knows way more than she should about the Shaddai and the Grigori. As much of a mystery as the bloodline of the Nephilim is, Springer seems to literally know everything about the two opposing forces, from the hierarchy of each to the fabled twelve instruments, including Goliath’s sword. She dispenses this information at the slightest nudge, and at no point does she stop to question the legitimacy or validity of anything she is saying. What’s worse, though, is that neither does Inspector Jericho. He simply accepts the premise that there are immortal descendants of angels fighting for supreme control of the earth without batting an eyelash. I like Sam Jericho as a character, but when paired with Dr. Springer, the team moves the plot forward in an extremely forced and unfashionable way. That being stated, they are only minor characters, and the majority of the novel is superb and very worthwhile.

My minor plot and character concerns notwithstanding, I can easily rate The Sword of Goliath 3 out of 4 Stars. As soon as I read the final page, I immediately scoured the internet in an attempt to find information on the next installment of The Bloodline Chronicles (alas, I came away empty-handed). The story is fresh, the writing is smooth on the whole, and the main characters are likeable and sympathetic heroes. Anthony Jones has included in this novel everything essential to beginning a traditional high-fantasy saga, albeit with a contemporary, faith-based twist. There’s a little cussing, and the story gets ever-so-slightly steamy at times; but adult fans of Frank Peretti’s Darkness duology, Ted Dekker’s Circle series, and Lewis’s Narnia Chronicles will enjoy what Mr. Jones has brought to the table.

The Sword of Goliath
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like jacnthabox's review? Post a comment saying so!
Tell me something...You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?
Kia
Currently Reading: Damaged Goods
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kia.html
Latest Review: Wheel of Katarnum by James Calliotte
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kia »

Oh wow, this seems like a really interesting read! Great job on the review.
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki
Goldy_999
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goldy-999.html

Post by Goldy_999 »

nice review...
Tekguardian151_+48
Currently Reading: The Tar Man
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tekguardian151-48.html

Post by Tekguardian151_+48 »

Hi!
Really liked the review- I thought it was well written and thorough. However, I think you spent far too much time on the plot synopsis (2nd paragraph). As a reader I was at the time thinking: 'what about the actual review?' Having read the entire review, it's clear you had a lot to say about the book when discussing it in references to the likes of ‘The Da Vinci Code' and identifying some flaws with the minor characters but an entire lengthy paragraph devoted to the plot synopsis, in my opinion, impedes the writing flow and could be shortened significantly- you could be using that space to say more about what you thought of the novel. If I wanted to know more about the plot synopsis I could either: read the book myself or research it online.

Entirely up to you of course, but I personally wouldn't spend as much time summarising the plot. A very enjoyable read nonetheless- I hope this helps!
Eric Morris

Post by Eric Morris »

Tek,

I have been counseled on my long-winded synopses before, and I never quite understood why a full description of the novel was unnecessary and, at times, unwelcome.

However, I like your critique and will take it to heart as I prepare my next review. You've helped me understand what you're looking for in a review, and I think your words will benefit me long-term. Thank you.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a very interesting and intriguing book. The fact that you searched for the next installment in the series might mean you really enjoyed the book. Good job on the review!
Eric Morris

Post by Eric Morris »

Thank you, @kimmyschemy06!!! I will indeed be buying book 2 when it releases.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

Great review! Thanks for taking the time to write this. The book definitely sounds interesting, although I understand what you mean about your reservations about the character interactions. I hate when romantic relationships aren't developed well and come across awkward. I will be looking into reading this book! Thanks again!
candy3556
Currently Reading: Catching Fire
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by candy3556 »

Thank you for your well written review. It has helped in deciding it is not my type of book but still helped though
Demifiend
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Demifiend »

It seems like a nice book to read, combining all those elements into a book and telling stories from the bible in a different perspective makes this interesting, great review altogether!.
Jelop815
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Jelop815 »

Hi. Happy tuesday,

I'm new to this forum. I just signed up and am seeing how things work here. I signed up to be a Book Reviewer but haven't posted a book review yet. I understand i have to written five posts before doing this. Am i right. Anyway, i wanted to see how the book reviewers are written and found yours. This is a very well-written book review. It makes me want to read "The Sword of Goliath" as well as the second book. I like how thorough you are in your book review. I'm looking forward to reading more of your reviews in the future. Great job.
Eric Morris

Post by Eric Morris »

Jelop, thank you very much!!! I've had a wonderful couple of years here at OBC!!! Welcome to the group, and I wish you well. If you have any questions, feel free to reach out.
Jelop815
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Jelop815 »

Yes. I am new to this group. I'm excited to be here. Looking forward to writing my first book review. Lol. I just wanted to ask if i have to have posted 5 reviews or replies before posting my first book review? Or is it 50 posts. I'm confused. I guess i better read the rules again. Lol thanks for answering my post. I'm going to read your other book reviews. Looking forward to getting to know everybody here at OBC. Lol
candy3556
Currently Reading: Catching Fire

Post by candy3556 »

Awesome review for what seems like an awesome read. I cant wait
lane_vespertine
Currently Reading: Ilium
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lane-vespertine.html
Latest Review: "Hell Holes 2" by Donald Firesmith

Post by lane_vespertine »

Great review! Extremely comprehensive!
I genuinely have no questions about this book after reading your review, and feel as though I now can make an informed decision about whether or not to read it.
Well done!
Latest Review: "Hell Holes 2" by Donald Firesmith

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”