Official Review: They Call Me Crazy by Kelly Stone Gamble

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
erasmus
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erasmus.html
Latest Review: "Torn Between" by Karen A Miles
Reading Device: B00GQDBS7O

Official Review: They Call Me Crazy by Kelly Stone Gamble

Post by erasmus »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "They Call Me Crazy" by Kelly Stone Gamble.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

They Call Me Crazy by Kelly Stone Gamble is a mystery novel filled with love, secrets, friendship, betrayals, and murder that makes it a really intriguing, dramatic book which won the Big Al's Books & Pal's 2015 Readers' Choice Award. This novel may deal with issues such as mental illness, adultery, illegitimacy, et cetera, but it is surprisingly easy to read. While some readers may think and may be bothered that They Call Me Crazy simply breezes through those issues, I personally don’t mind and find the book really enjoyable.

This novel begins with the murder of Roland Adams by his wife, Cassandra “Cass” Adams in Deacon, Kansas. More than a decade ago, despite Cass being well-known as nothing more than a mentally ill person, Cass and Roland were happily married. The people in Deacon all liked Roland, and things between Cass and Roland were okay, until Cass lost her job as a waitress after lashing out at a customer because she had forgotten to take her medicine. Since then, their relationship has soured, and Roland began to turn to alcohol to cope. Despite that, the people of Deacon still think that Roland is rather admirable for trying to help his crazy wife.

However, one day, just when people are beginning to realise that they haven’t seen Roland in a while, someone catches Cass trying to dispose of Roland’s body. Most of them think that it’s just Cass’ craziness that made her murder her husband. What they didn’t know that there’s more to Roland than what they knew of him. Roland might have seemed like a great guy to others, but he’s cruel to ones closest to him.

Most murder mysteries are about finding the killer. What makes They Call Me Crazy unique is that the murderer is known from the beginning. The book also shows the reader how lies and secrets can get so tangled around one person that they only unravel with his death, and in the process causing upheaval to the lives of the people around him.

I actually consider this book to be light reading material despite some of the serious issues it deals with. The combination of an unexpected plot twist, eccentric and likable characters, and almost-happy ending has made this book a really enjoyable read for me. The first person narration and various points of view also allow readers to see things from different perspectives, which add depth to the overall story.

The only downside to this book is that there is a distinct lack of mystery in the book despite being labelled as such. Instead of revolving around the mystery of the murder, the story is actually much more focused on how Roland’s sudden death affected everyone else. Had this book not been labelled C/T/M/H, I would have given this book 4 stars straight away. Unfortunately, due to the lack of mystery in a book categorized in the C/T/M/H genre, I will only give this book 3 out of 4 stars.

I wouldn’t recommend this book to hardcore mystery or crime readers, but I think most readers would enjoy the book if they are looking for a quick read. However, due to some of the topics that are being dealt with in this book, I also wouldn’t recommend it to the younger audience.

They Call Me Crazy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like erasmus's review? Post a comment saying so!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin
Lisalovecraft
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalovecraft.html
Latest Review: "A Devil of a Time" by Gretchen Jeannette

Post by Lisalovecraft »

Nice review! I'm glad you mentioned that this book might not appeal to crime and mystery fans. It can be frustrating to read a book with certain expectations and then be unpleasantly surprised.
Latest Review: "A Devil of a Time" by Gretchen Jeannette
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Nice review! I almost selected this book for review, so it's particularly interesting to read what you thought of it.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Max Tyrone
Favorite Author: William Faulkner
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2696">One Hundred Years of Solitude</a>
Currently Reading: Pastoralia
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-max-tyrone.html
Latest Review: "Design Of Life" by Martyn Anthony Rich
fav_author_id: 8089

Post by Max Tyrone »

This is an interesting review to a seemingly interesting book. It sounds like a Law and Order book where the narration works backwards; but since you wrote that it splits perspectives, I believe that would make it stronger. I might pick this up, regardless of its genre
"No battle is ever won ... victory is an illusion of philosophers and fools."
- William Faulkner, The Sound and the Fury
Latest Review: "Design Of Life" by Martyn Anthony Rich
erasmus

Post by erasmus »

Lisalovecraft wrote:Nice review! I'm glad you mentioned that this book might not appeal to crime and mystery fans. It can be frustrating to read a book with certain expectations and then be unpleasantly surprised.
Thank you, Lisalovecraft!
bookowlie wrote:Nice review! I almost selected this book for review, so it's particularly interesting to read what you thought of it.
Thanks, bookowlie! Do you think you would you have liked the book? I'm also interested in your answer.
Max Tyrone wrote:This is an interesting review to a seemingly interesting book. It sounds like a Law and Order book where the narration works backwards; but since you wrote that it splits perspectives, I believe that would make it stronger. I might pick this up, regardless of its genre
Thanks, Max Tyrone! I hope you will like this book as much as I did when you do pick this up!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I think the book looks like it's a funny, unique twist on a crime story. It reminds me of these TV crime dramas where the viewer already knows who committed the crime. I didn't choose it at the time because I got sidetracked. When I looked again, it was gone. It turns out you grabbed it! ha ha ha
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
erasmus

Post by erasmus »

I'm not sure about TV crime dramas since I don't watch much of those, but this book is certainly unique!
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Great review! You captured what I look for in a book: being an easy read. That's important to me.
erasmus

Post by erasmus »

Thanks! I also like an easy read, especially if I just finished something that's emotionally draining.
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Yeah, I have focus issues, and I need plots that push forward. This book sounds like it offers that!! :-)
Jesska6029
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: It and Mr. Mercedes
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesska6029.html
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Jesska6029 »

Loved the review. I think I may pick this one up!
“Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all—in which case, you fail by default.” ~J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
erasmus

Post by erasmus »

Thanks, Jesska!
sadidy
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by sadidy »

Thank you for reviewing my book, I'm so glad you enjoyed it! I have to agree, classifying it as 'mystery/crime' is a reach---I guess the mystery is: was there a crime or what crime was actually committed?
It was a fun book to write, and I'm thrilled when someone says they had fun reading it. So thank you, again. ----KSG
zeldas_lullaby

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Congrats Sadidy, your book sounds like a fun read!! :-)
erasmus

Post by erasmus »

sadidy wrote:Thank you for reviewing my book, I'm so glad you enjoyed it! I have to agree, classifying it as 'mystery/crime' is a reach---I guess the mystery is: was there a crime or what crime was actually committed?
It was a fun book to write, and I'm thrilled when someone says they had fun reading it. So thank you, again. ----KSG
You're welcome, I definitely enjoyed your book! I'll read it next time when it's raining heavily just so it'll be more fun (in a twisted sort of way).

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”