Official Review: Lucky by Terence Park

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
TLGabelman
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tlgabelman.html
Latest Review: "Kendra" by Grant Kniefel

Official Review: Lucky by Terence Park

Post by TLGabelman »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lucky" by Terence Park.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Lucky: Life on Earth by Terence Park

The book, Lucky: Life of Earth, is a small collection of short stories in the Science Fiction genre. Lucky is of the flowing people. A refugee survivor of the war between the flowing people and the measuring people, long since passed. She escaped the war at the Galactic Core in her ship, Expedient. Now a lonely aimless drifter; she is searching for a new start and a safe place for her precious cargo. Expedient, scavenges the Universe, collecting matter to use as resources and searching for life. Lucky is in slow time, a half suspended animation, when she is waken by Expedient. All her hopes and dreams rest on what she finds. She hopes for a safe place to make a home and an end to her isolation.

The first story introduces the reader to Lucky. Self-named, Lucky, is the last of her kind. Her people, the flowing people, were a peaceful people who embraced freedom of movement. The measuring people sought precision and exactness. The war had been long ago, but it still weighs heavy upon her soul. She is an easily likable character with relatable flaws and personality traits. I found myself quickly empathizing with her. Not much happens in the first story other than a little background and character development. Despite the lack of action I still found myself drawn into the scenario and not at all bored.

The three remaining ‘stories’ all take place on planet Earth, as Lucky makes every effort to be a believable human. During her efforts to assimilate, she encounters an odd tramp, Don, who is doing all in his power to not conform. She is drawn to Don. The relationship is both familiar and strange. Park has created easily believable characters through his descriptions. Their dialogue flowed effortlessly on the page. The detail in the stories was also very pleasing to read. When I read Sci-Fi books, quite often, I get bogged down with the amount of description the author has provided. Park instinctively added the details need at the moment needed; as if he was reading my mind as I was asking a question.

When I read the tales of Lucky I expected each to have a conclusive beginning and end, but they did not. Each new story was the continuation of the one before, and they read more like chapters in a book than a self-contained narrative. From reading the text I can only assume Park will continue to add to the storyline. For me what I read felt disappointingly incomplete, similar to a free preview of a book which leaves a reader hanging. ‘

Three of the stories are told in the third person and one story is told in first person, Don’s perspective. I did not like the shift in perspectives. I would have liked Lucky’s perspective, but reading Dons felt out of place. I may feel differently if this is developed into a book.

I rate Lucky by Terence Park 3 out of 4 stars. I hope the story will continue and I have an opportunity to read the completed work. I would recommend this collection of stories to anyone who enjoys the Sci-Fi genre.

Lucky
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like TLGabelman's review? Post a comment saying so!
“When I was your age, television was called books.”
― William Goldman, The Princess Bride
TPArchie
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B0051VVOB2

Post by TPArchie »

Hi

Here's a quick reply from the author.

As you rightly observe, Lucky is a sketch —story arcs are implied, but the bits coloured in are those that describe the turning point in Lucky's tale.
In SF you re-invent the wheel. I asked myself questions such as: How would an alien describe our star-system, given that she comes from the densely populated heart of the Milky Way? What would it feel like, as an outsider, to try and fit in? What precautions would an alien refugee need to take?
I'm a long time reader of SF, my goal was realistically grounded Space Opera. The working title was originally Lucky and the Asteroid. As I wrote, the tale acquired its own momentum and I reached a point where I needed to take stock.
In closing I ought to say there will be an asteroid. :)

Thanks very much for the review; it's greatly appreciated.
TLGabelman

Post by TLGabelman »

Id enjoy reading the completed story with asteroid when it becomes available. I was surprised at how easy to like Lucky was despite her flaws or possibly because of them.
Kappy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Isaac Asimov
Favorite Book: The Essene Gospel of Peace
Currently Reading: McGee & Stuckey's Bountiful Container
Bookshelf Size: 762
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kappy.html
Latest Review: "The Big Exoneration" by Dennis Sanchez
fav_author_id: 2547

Post by Kappy »

Good review. This tale sounds interesting, but it appears to have been published prematurely (per Amazon.com, its print length is 76 pages).
Good Thoughts, Good Words, Good Deeds
Latest Review: "The Big Exoneration" by Dennis Sanchez
TLGabelman

Post by TLGabelman »

@Kappy it is very short. Park has a way of weaving the story with few words. As I stated it doesnt feel complete, but I anticipate it to be popular when all the material is finally available!
ejcogan
Favorite Author: Jeaniene Frost
Favorite Book: Once Burned
Currently Reading: The Truth of all Flesh
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ejcogan.html
Latest Review: "Dehumanized" by Michael Loring
fav_author_id: 3311

Post by ejcogan »

Great job on the review! I personally have an issue with shortish stories when the characters are likeable, I always want more and can become impatient when waiting for more and or disappointed when there's not. Nonetheless after reading your review I will most likely check this one out. Thanks TLGabelman
It is better to have loved and lost, than to be married to a psycho for the rest of your life.
Latest Review: "Dehumanized" by Michael Loring
TLGabelman

Post by TLGabelman »

Im so glad to hear that! I have a love/hate relationship with short stories as well but this is too good to miss.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”