Forum Announcements and Updates Log

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Forum Announcements and Updates Log

Post by Scott »

I think I need a better way of keeping everyone updated of all the small changes I make to the forums. Sure big changes can excuse a whole new announcement topic or even a mass-email or annoying announcement in the header of the entire site. Nonetheless, when I make relatively small changes, fix problems or alter the way something works, I still want a record of this accessible to all of you. So if something seems different and you have a question about it, come check this topic. Or if you want you can also periodically check back to learn about any new changes. I will keep this topic locked, mainly so I can always use the double post feature to have a time-stamp for all announcements.

-- 01 Nov 2011 09:53 pm --

I added a new forum about e-readers with two sub-forums, one for the Nook and the other for the Kindle. Over the next few days, I will move some of the older topics about e-reading and e-readers out of the other forums and into those.

-- 07 Nov 2011 08:06 pm --

To prevent vote fraud, I have disallowed members with less than 5 posts from voting in any polls. If you are a new member and would like to vote in a poll, you will need to make 5 posts in the on-topic section of the forum before you will be able to vote. (Posts in the off-topic section do not increment a user's post count.) In the future I hope to come to a less draconian solution, such as allowing the poll-creator to choose whether new users (and even perhaps guests) can vote in their poll or not.

-- 08 Nov 2011 02:09 pm --

I have tried to improve navigation by adding a small 'breadcrumb' navigation menu to the bottom of the 'view-forum' and 'view-topic' pages. This is particularly useful when using the sub-forums as it provides a link back to the parent forum of the subforum.

-- 08 Nov 2011 02:10 pm --

I have also added two new fields to profiles, favorite author and favorite book. These two also display on the profile box that appears on the left of all posts.

-- 08 Nov 2011 03:15 pm --

I created a script that automatically processes bounced email notifications. As of now, all it does is delete a users account if the user has 0 posts. This has lead to the deletion of over half the registers users on the forums, presumably almost all spam bots. The total users listed in the forum statistics has been updated accordingly.

-- 17 Nov 2011 06:20 pm --

A couple weeks ago I created an avatar gallery which members can use to choose from one of several avatars rather than upload their own. Users can still upload their own. The gallery may come in more use for less tech-savvy users. There are only a few avatars in the gallery now. For the time being, I have also set a default avatar for new users. The current default it a sun reading. But in the near future I may change it to something else more symbolic of a new user or may eliminate the use of a default all-together. One downside of this is it may be confusing when user's have the same avatar.

-- 17 Nov 2011 06:46 pm --

I changed the new user avatar to something that I think more clearly expresses it is a default for new users.

-- 19 Nov 2011 01:11 pm --

I have made it so posts in the off-topic section increment post counts for all posters except those still considered in the 'newly registered category'. Once a user makes enough posts in the on-topic section to be promoted out of the newly registered category, this enables many board features such as posting URLs and will cause their post count to increment from posts in the off-topic section as well. I have also resynchronized post counts so that all the posts that were not counted previously have been counted. As a result, you may notice a leap in your own or other members post counts. It's also possible but rare that a post count could go slightly up or down as a result of the resynchronization repairing an inconsistency, such as a deleted/pruned post having not been properly counted at the time of deletion. Also, I have updated the wording on the off-topic forums to accurately explain the new post increment system.

-- 08 Dec 2011 05:46 pm --

I have enabled bumping. 'New members,' i.e. those with less than 10 posts, are not able to use the bumping feature. Bumping is only available after 5 days have passed since the post or since the last bump. Only the topic starter or the user who last posted in the topic are able to bump the topic. (Other people can cause the topic to get bumped simply by replying to it.) The information regarding bumped topics should be visible after the signature of the last post.

-- 06 Jan 2012 05:57 pm --

I have updated the anti-spam rules to prohibit new members from posting about a book with an Amazon sales rank worse than 100,000.

-- 26 Jul 2012 06:33 pm --

I released a revamped version of the book review request system this week.

-- 31 Aug 2013 05:02 pm --

I have added information regarding the review team to the faq:

http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/faq.php#f11r0
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”