May Book of the Month

Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Off-Topic » Suggestion Box

Free/Discount Book of the Day! ( + Amazon Gift Card Giveaway! )

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books; They are incredible temporary deals on well-rated books! This also includes free entry into daily free Rafflecopter drawings for free Amazon Gift Cards! Sign up so you do not miss the opportunity to build up your library with premium books for free AND get free daily chances to win free Amazon gift cards.



Sorry, this proves you are human.

New Report Feature

(Formerly the "Support, Feedback and Forum Announcements" forum.)
Please help us make Online Book Club even better! Please post suggestions, feedback and ideas for new features. Wild brainstorming and potentially 'crazy ideas' are super-strongly encouraged! :)

For new members (or old members who run into an issue), please make a post in this forum asking any questions you have about using the site and how it works that are not answered in the FAQ. Not only are we happy help you, but also we can use your feedback to make the site better for tomorrow's new member! A lot of the instructions throughout the site and answers in the FAQ are there because someone else pointed out that it wasn't clear before.

If you have a question or problem regarding the review team system, whether as author or a reviewer, please use the private contact forum.

New Report Feature

Post Number:#1 by Scott
» 19 Aug 2010, 20:12

You can now easily report any posts to me with the new report button. Simple click the small button with the exclamation point on the upper-right hand corner of the post that you want to report. You will then have the option to include comments in the report.

If you notice any posts that are offensive, off-topic or spam, please report them. Even if you are unsure, please report any posts you think may be inappropriate. Reporting a post simply brings it to my attention so that I can review it.
Did you know ALynnPowers wrote books? I sure as naughty word didn't. Check it out!

"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau
Publishing Contest ~ 960 Votes ~ View Scott's Entry
User avatar
Scott
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2604
Joined: 31 Jul 2006, 23:00
Location: CT
Favorite Author: Voltairine de Cleyre
Favorite Book: Of Mice and Men
Currently Reading: Shot Down
Bookshelf Size: 150 books
Reading Device: Nook Simple
2016 Reading Goal: 36 Books
Goal Completion: 13%

Did you know?
 
Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Post Number:#2 by Fran
» 20 Aug 2010, 04:33

Delighted to read you post & see the report button ... the spam has gotten most annoying recently & could ruin our much loved site. Well done! :D
As big soft buffetings come at the car sideways
And catch the heart off guard and blow it open

- Seamus Heaney, Postscript
User avatar
Fran
Site Admin
 
Posts: 25985
Joined: 10 Aug 2009, 12:46
Location: Ireland
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Slade House
Bookshelf Size: 587 books
Reading Device: Kindle (E-Ink)
2016 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 47%

Post Number:#3 by C0ldf1re
» 24 Aug 2010, 18:01

Many thanks for installing this feature!
8) The hedgehogs have eaten the breakfast. The rose has wilted. And I've put my trousers on. 8) -------------------- (See Post #1501)
User avatar
C0ldf1re
 
Posts: 2779
Joined: 19 Mar 2010, 10:50
Bookshelf Size: 0 books
2016 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

A way to change username?

Post Number:#4 by YellowButterfly85
» 10 Sep 2010, 11:27

I think this is a great tool as well. I do have a question for any moderators though, is there a way you can change your username if you want to?
User avatar
YellowButterfly85
 
Posts: 50
Joined: 04 Sep 2010, 01:55
Bookshelf Size: 0 books
2016 Reading Goal: 0 Books

Re: A way to change username?

Post Number:#5 by StephenKingman
» 10 Sep 2010, 11:54

Dina wrote:I think this is a great tool as well. I do have a question for any moderators though, is there a way you can change your username if you want to?


Hmm, it doesnt seen to be part of my scope as a moderator to alter your name so i will contact the site admin Scott Hughes and ask him that same question, i will let you know as soon as he replies.
You only live once.....so live!
User avatar
StephenKingman
Moderator
 
Posts: 13986
Joined: 29 Dec 2009, 12:00
Location: Ireland
Bookshelf Size: 0 books
2016 Reading Goal: 0 Books

Thanks

Post Number:#6 by YellowButterfly85
» 10 Sep 2010, 12:10

Thank you. I was just seeing the variations in peoples' usernames that aren't their actual names, and I was kinda wanting to change mine.
User avatar
YellowButterfly85
 
Posts: 50
Joined: 04 Sep 2010, 01:55
Bookshelf Size: 0 books
2016 Reading Goal: 0 Books

Re: New Report Feature

Post Number:#7 by Fran
» 15 Aug 2014, 06:06

Just though I'd bump this one as a lot of new members may not be aware of this feature
As big soft buffetings come at the car sideways
And catch the heart off guard and blow it open

- Seamus Heaney, Postscript
User avatar
Fran
Site Admin
 
Posts: 25985
Joined: 10 Aug 2009, 12:46
Location: Ireland
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Slade House
Bookshelf Size: 587 books
Reading Device: Kindle (E-Ink)
2016 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 47%

Re: New Report Feature

Post Number:#8 by ALynnPowers
» 26 Aug 2014, 10:38

I actually have a question about reporting people, but I am not sure if there is already a topic somewhere (I looked but I can't find anything except this one... am I not looking hard enough or not using the right keywords?).
Anyway, I will just ask it here.

When should we report someone? What constitutes behavior that should be reported?
I know that if someone is trying to sell their book... that's pretty much common sense on this site... but what kind of things are considered inappropriate? (For example: Is it okay for someone to post long excerpts from their own novel? What about repeating the same information multiple times within the same topic or across multiple topics? Being generally obnoxious?)
What happens if I report someone? Will they know it was me?

-- 26 Aug 2014, 11:38 --

Fran wrote:Just though I'd bump this one as a lot of new members may not be aware of this feature


P.S. Fran, thanks for bumping this up. I had no idea!
ALynnPowers's Latest Review: "Naked and Far from Home" by J.P. Grider
Publishing Contest ~ 13 Votes ~ View ALynnPowers's Entry
User avatar
ALynnPowers
Special Discussion Leader
 
Posts: 8236
Joined: 21 Aug 2014, 07:14
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 266 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device:
2016 Reading Goal: 125 Books
Goal Completion: 43%

Re: New Report Feature

Post Number:#9 by gali
» 26 Aug 2014, 10:55

ALynnPowers wrote:I actually have a question about reporting people, but I am not sure if there is already a topic somewhere (I looked but I can't find anything except this one... am I not looking hard enough or not using the right keywords?).
Anyway, I will just ask it here.

When should we report someone? What constitutes behavior that should be reported?
I know that if someone is trying to sell their book... that's pretty much common sense on this site... but what kind of things are considered inappropriate? (For example: Is it okay for someone to post long excerpts from their own novel? What about repeating the same information multiple times within the same topic or across multiple topics? Being generally obnoxious?)
What happens if I report someone? Will they know it was me?

-- 26 Aug 2014, 11:38 --

Fran wrote:Just though I'd bump this one as a lot of new members may not be aware of this feature


P.S. Fran, thanks for bumping this up. I had no idea!


You should report posts that are offensive, off-topic or spam. Also advertisements, duplicate topics etc. If you report someone, he won't know it was you. Only the moderators will know and we keep it to ourselves.

Here are the rules to what is considered spam:

Spam
In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
User avatar
gali
Site Admin
 
Posts: 18601
Joined: 22 Oct 2013, 07:12
Location: Lost in a good book
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1478 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle (E-Ink)
2016 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 55%

Re: New Report Feature

Post Number:#10 by ALynnPowers
» 27 Aug 2014, 08:14

gali wrote:You should report posts that are offensive, off-topic or spam. Also advertisements, duplicate topics etc. If you report someone, he won't know it was you. Only the moderators will know and we keep it to ourselves.

Here are the rules to what is considered spam:

Spam


Thanks for the info. I won't start reporting people for being annoying then. Haha... :P
ALynnPowers's Latest Review: "Naked and Far from Home" by J.P. Grider
Publishing Contest ~ 13 Votes ~ View ALynnPowers's Entry
User avatar
ALynnPowers
Special Discussion Leader
 
Posts: 8236
Joined: 21 Aug 2014, 07:14
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 266 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device:
2016 Reading Goal: 125 Books
Goal Completion: 43%

Re: New Report Feature

Post Number:#11 by gali
» 27 Aug 2014, 08:35

ALynnPowers wrote:
gali wrote:You should report posts that are offensive, off-topic or spam. Also advertisements, duplicate topics etc. If you report someone, he won't know it was you. Only the moderators will know and we keep it to ourselves.

Here are the rules to what is considered spam:

Spam


Thanks for the info. I won't start reporting people for being annoying then. Haha... :P


lol not for that. :lol:
In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
User avatar
gali
Site Admin
 
Posts: 18601
Joined: 22 Oct 2013, 07:12
Location: Lost in a good book
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1478 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle (E-Ink)
2016 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 55%

Re: New Report Feature

Post Number:#12 by Fran
» 03 Oct 2014, 08:48

Just a reminder - please do not engage with spammers or obnoxious posters, just use the Report Button. You are just feeding their ego by responding & that is exactly what they want & you are only encouraging them.
As big soft buffetings come at the car sideways
And catch the heart off guard and blow it open

- Seamus Heaney, Postscript
User avatar
Fran
Site Admin
 
Posts: 25985
Joined: 10 Aug 2009, 12:46
Location: Ireland
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Slade House
Bookshelf Size: 587 books
Reading Device: Kindle (E-Ink)
2016 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 47%

Re: New Report Feature

Post Number:#13 by ALynnPowers
» 05 Oct 2014, 08:57

Fran wrote:Just a reminder - please do not engage with spammers or obnoxious posters, just use the Report Button. You are just feeding their ego by responding & that is exactly what they want & you are only encouraging them.


It's really easy for me to not engage with obnoxious posters. I usually just click the X in the top right corner of my browser.
Or not click on the forum at all if I see certain names as the last person who posted. I wish others would do the same! Or just ignore! 8)
ALynnPowers's Latest Review: "Naked and Far from Home" by J.P. Grider
Publishing Contest ~ 13 Votes ~ View ALynnPowers's Entry
User avatar
ALynnPowers
Special Discussion Leader
 
Posts: 8236
Joined: 21 Aug 2014, 07:14
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 266 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device:
2016 Reading Goal: 125 Books
Goal Completion: 43%


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Navigation

Return Home » Off-Topic » Suggestion Box

  • Shop by Cover
    The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar My Ladybird Story Save the Last Bullet for God The Vanishing Chemist Runaway: A Tragedy of Youth

    This shop by cover box provides the best of both worlds. All the books displayed have been officially reviewed by the Online Book Club review team. So you can shop by cover while still knowing the book is more than just a great cover!