Review score changing and still pending

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review score changing and still pending

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

I did a review last week which received feedback from two different editors a couple of days afterwards and given a rating percentage. I got a score (editorial) for the review which then increased my overall score, but the review still said pending, Now it's been a week and the percentage has stayed the same but now my overall score has gone down to less than it was before I submitted the review. However it still says "pending" Is there a way to get this accepted or rejected so I can move on? I didn't want to bother Scott just in case I was missing something obvious..

Thanks for your help!
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Can you see if the review was published? Sometimes the review will have already been published, and the pending status relates to the payment.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Gingerbo0ks

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

bookowlie wrote:Can you see if the review was published? Sometimes the review will have already been published, and the pending status relates to the payment.
Hi Bookowlie, it was not a paid review but I have checked the history again and the status has now been updated to the "complete but not published". I've been given a point for popularity to compensate for this but have been deducted 6 points for the actual review it's self. I guess this was probably because one editor scored it quite highly whereas another was pretty low.

I take it has been completed now but what I didn't realise​ is you actually lose points for writing reviews!
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

I am not sure what you mean by "deducted 6 points for the actual review itself." Do you mean the editorial analysis score? In the past, an editorial score for a review was calculated not as an average, but the lower of the two editor scores. I am not sure if that formula has changed. Also, Scott changed the editor's scoring form recently which may result in some reviewers getting lower scores, depending on what is wrong with the review.
Gingerbo0ks

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

Yes the editorial analysis score ended up being a minus 6 (they took the first editors comments into account rather than the second, the lower of the two as you mentioned above), leading to a 6 point deduction from my overall reviewer score, taking it down to less than it was before I submitted it in the first place. Is this supposed to happen?
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

The editorial subscore is a weighted average of all of your reviews, with more weight given to the most recent 10 reviews (or something similar to that concept). Since you joined recently, it's basically a straight average of your review scores. As a result, the editor score you receive for each future review can either raise or lower your overall editorial score. The popularity score is also an average of your reviews. So...each subsequent review can increase or decrease the overall popularity. It's not really an issue once you have more reviews, but there is a bigger impact on your overall editorial and popularity scores when you only have a few reviews.
Gingerbo0ks

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

Thanks for explaining, I guess I need to write a few more then to get a better average :D
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Sounds like a plan. :)