Private Blurb for the author

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Private Blurb for the author

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm a little confused. I thought that the private blurb for the author was just to be a short review of the ending of the book. In fact, it states when you go to do it that it should be 3 sentences. So, why did my private blurb get disputed by the author because it didn't talk about the whole book? Is this normal? Do you usually put a review of the whole book in that space? I did answer the dispute with more information, but will this affect my score on anything? Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

Well...This never happened to me. What I actually do is that I include info from the ending, some major spoiler and some minor data from the middle of the book. My private blurbs are of seven to eight sentences.
By minor data I mean that I add something which is from somewhere in the middle of the book. Like the protagonist owned a red Ferrari. Only a person who read the book will be able to give information as such.
I don't know anything about the dispute affecting your score though.

Sorry if I couldn't be of much help.
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
kandscreeley
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wasif Ahmed wrote:Well...This never happened to me. What I actually do is that I include info from the ending, some major spoiler and some minor data from the middle of the book. My private blurbs are of seven to eight sentences.
By minor data I mean that I add something which is from somewhere in the middle of the book. Like the protagonist owned a red Ferrari. Only a person who read the book will be able to give information as such.

Actually that was helpful! I'll have to remember that for future reviews. Especially including something minor from the middle of the book! Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Wasif Ahmed

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

kandscreeley wrote:
Wasif Ahmed wrote:Well...This never happened to me. What I actually do is that I include info from the ending, some major spoiler and some minor data from the middle of the book. My private blurbs are of seven to eight sentences.

Actually that was helpful! I'll have to remember that for future reviews. Especially including something minor from the middle of the book! Thanks!
Glad to know that I could be of help. You are welcome.?
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
bookowlie
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

:ditto:

I am pretty sure the Review Guidelines explain that the ending blurb should include how the ending fits well (or not, in some cases) with the rest of the book. So...it's a good idea to throw in a tidbit or two from an earlier part of the story, whether it's a reference to specific themes, a particular scene/event, the way a character changed from earlier in the story, etc. Keep in mind that the reason for the ending blurb is so that the author can make sure you read the entire book vs. just reading the a small portion of the book. It's not really the number of sentences that matters and you certainly don't have to give a summary of everything that happened in the book - the blurb can be 3 sentences as long as you are able to do a tie-in that shows you read the book.

-- 08 Feb 2017, 13:51 --

As for your question about whether the dispute will affect your score, it all depends on the % of your total reviews that were disputed. If the reviews questioned is less than a certain percentage (it used to be 15% - not sure if this % changed), then the penalty won't affect your score. However, if it's above that, then the dispute penalties will be deducted from your score. If it does affect your score, the % will eventually go down as you write additional reviews that aren't disputed. Then the % will go below the 15% questioned and your penalties will not be deducted from your score. Even if that happens, be aware that the penalties will still stay on your account so that if the % disputed increases, the penalties will "show up" again against your score.

One more thing....a penalty eventually goes away entirely after a certain length of time - a year, I think.

Here's an example -
4 total reviews, 1 disputed = 25% - penalty will affect your score
7 total reviews, 1 disputed = 14.3% - penalty won't affect your score
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Wasif Ahmed

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

bookowlie wrote:

:ditto:

I am pretty sure the Review Guidelines explain that the ending blurb should include how the ending fits well (or not, in some cases) with the rest of the book. So...it's a good idea to throw in a tidbit or two from an earlier part of the story, whether it's a reference to specific themes, a particular scene/event, the way a character changed from earlier in the story, etc. Keep in mind that the reason for the ending blurb is so that the author can make sure you read the entire book vs. just reading the a small portion of the book. It's not really the number of sentences that matters and you certainly don't have to give a summary of everything that happened in the book - the blurb can be 3 sentences as long as you are able to do a tie-in that shows you read the book.

-- 08 Feb 2017, 13:51 --

As for your question about whether the dispute will affect your score, it all depends on the % of your total reviews that were disputed. If the reviews questioned is less than a certain percentage (it used to be 15% - not sure if this % changed), then the penalty won't affect your score. However, if it's above that, then the dispute penalties will be deducted from your score. If it does affect your score, the % will eventually go down as you write additional reviews that aren't disputed. Then the % will go below the 15% questioned and your penalties will not be deducted from your score. Even if that happens, be aware that the penalties will still stay on your account so that if the % disputed increases, the penalties will "show up" again against your score.

One more thing....a penalty eventually goes away entirely after a certain length of time - a year, I think.

Here's an example -
4 total reviews, 1 disputed = 25% - penalty will affect your score
7 total reviews, 1 disputed = 14.3% - penalty won't affect your score
Thanks bookowlie!!
bookowlie
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

After I posted the info about author dispute penalties, I noticed on the Score Page (under "recent changes") that the penalties have been reduced for this type of penalty.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”