Limited book review choices

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Guppy
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-guppy.html
Latest Review: "Aftermath" by Gary Gaudin

Limited book review choices

Post by Guppy »

Newbie question: Are there likely to be many books to review without selecting amazon kindle gift, kindle unlimited or barnes and noble in preferences? I can't afford to subscribe to paid services and live outside of the US. Thank you.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Yes. Many of the books are in PDF, epub or MOBI format. IF you have trouble reading one of those formats, you can change the version by downloading Calibre, a free program/software. You then would add the OBC book to the Calibre library and then convert it to the e-book format you want.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

Most of the books I've reviewed have not been Kindle gift so you should still have a large selection
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Agreed and agreed with the above two posts. :D
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Guppy

Post by Guppy »

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the replies and reassurance. Thanks also for the calibre tip.

Still no books to review. Are books released at a certain time each day? I'm wondering if I'm missing out because of the time differences between countries... I did get an email invitation during the night to review a book, but it wasn't available in the morning.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Guppy wrote:Thanks everyone, I appreciate the replies and reassurance. Thanks also for the calibre tip.

Still no books to review. Are books released at a certain time each day? I'm wondering if I'm missing out because of the time differences between countries... I did get an email invitation during the night to review a book, but it wasn't available in the morning.
Based on my experience, books are added to the list at different times of the day. Since you are a new member of the review team (joined earlier this month), I assume you are at a lower level. As a result, you will not have access to many of the books at the moment; the ones you will have access to are on a delayed basis. Basically, the members in the levels above you have a chance to select them first, and then you get to pick among "the leftovers" after a period of time.

If you would like more detailed information about this issue, go to your Review Team Page and click on Score. Then scroll down to the bottom of the page to read an explanation of each level and the time delays for access to the review books. Hope this helps. :)
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Amazon kindle gift does not require a paid subscription.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

CatInTheHat wrote:Amazon kindle gift does not require a paid subscription.
Yes! You do not have to pay for kindle gifts. All you need is an Amazon account and the kindle app, both of which are free! The amazon account will ask you for a credit card number or bank account, but you do not actually have to pay for anything unless you put it in your cart and check out.
Guppy

Post by Guppy »

Thanks everyone, I have added Kindle Gifts. Now to wait for those leftover reviews.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Guppy wrote:Thanks everyone, I have added Kindle Gifts. Now to wait for those leftover reviews.
Some of my favorite books were the "leftovers" when I first joined. :) I am sure you will move up the levels quickly and have more choices.
Guppy

Post by Guppy »

Thanks Bookowlie. I ended up with Kindle Unlimited (for the next 30 days anyway), and as soon as I updated my preferences there were 3 book reviews to choose from. They're probably leftovers, but I'm happy with the choices and the first one I reviewed was surprisingly good :)
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Guppy wrote:Thanks Bookowlie. I ended up with Kindle Unlimited (for the next 30 days anyway), and as soon as I updated my preferences there were 3 book reviews to choose from. They're probably leftovers, but I'm happy with the choices and the first one I reviewed was surprisingly good :)
That's great! Actually, I don't have Kindle Unlimited and always found available review books to choose from, even when I first joined. My advice would be to keep Kindle Unlimited after the trial period if you like it for other reasons (not just to have more review choices). Personally, i wouldn't keep it otherwise. As you do another review or two, you will find more choices opening up for you that don't require Kindle Unlimited.

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”