Feeling frustrated on downloading freebie books

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

george_bass
Bookshelf Size: 3

Feeling frustrated on downloading freebie books

Post by george_bass »

Hi there,

I'm trying to download any of the books out there available for review, but I'm absolutely unable to achieve that simple task. I have the feeling there's something wrong either with me or with the usability of this web site.

Please, can anyone guide me through the process of downloading freebie books?

Thank you so much for your help!
Last edited by george_bass on 08 Sep 2016, 12:51, edited 1 time in total.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Did you join the review team or are you just assuming the books on Bookshelves are free to download? The books on Bookshelves are not free to download. They are just displayed with members' ratings in the same way books are shown on Goodreads with reviews and ratings.

If you want to download a book for review, you have to first join the Review Team. You need to have a minimum number of posts in order to join the team. Keep in mind that posts in the Feedback/Suggestion and Off-Topic sections don't count toward the miminum required posts. You can read the Review Team section of the FAQ's for instructions and guidelines for the Review Team. Hope this helps.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
george_bass

Post by george_bass »

bookowlie wrote:You can read the Review Team section of the FAQ's for instructions and guidelines for the Review Team. Hope this helps.
Thank you. Of course, I already read the FAQ. I am trying to join the review team but I can't see any "RT" link anywhere on my computer's screen.
  • Step 2: Make sure you have a post count of at least 5, which lets us get to know you a little bit.
    Step 3: Sign up for the review team page by clicking "RT" in the navigation links in the header of the forums, which will only be visible if you are logged in on the forums. That link goes the the "Review Team Page".
I am definitely stuck somewhere between step number 2 and step number 3.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Here's the link. :tiphat:
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
george_bass

Post by george_bass »

Gravy wrote:Here's the link. :tiphat:
Thank you so much! :) Can you please point out where did you get it?

Anyway, now I am getting this message: "Authors are prohibited from using the review team."
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

george_bass wrote:
Gravy wrote:Here's the link. :tiphat:
Thank you so much! :) Can you please point out where did you get it?

Anyway, now I am getting this message: "Authors are prohibited from using the review team."
You can submit your books for review (if you are an author) or you can be part of the Review Team, but you can't do both.

The link for the Review Team is shown as RT and it is 2nd from the right on the top toolbar once you are logged in and are in the forums. Is it possible you are not seeing it because it is not available to you as an author who has submitted books for review before?
george_bass

Post by george_bass »

bookowlie wrote:Is it possible you are not seeing it because it is not available to you as an author who has submitted books for review before?
Good point! Thank you. :tiphat:
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

I am not sure how recently you submitted a book for review. You can contact Scott, the admin, if you decide you would rather be a reviewer instead of having your own books reviewed.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

@george_bass Authors who have submitted a book for review are unable to join the review team. This is in the policies both of the review request offer and the review team. I'm sorry for any inconvenience or frustration.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”