Kindle windows 8.1

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Renee24
Currently Reading: The Heist
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renee24.html

Kindle windows 8.1

Post by Renee24 »

Hi, Guess I'm a bit confused on how this site works. I thought we'd be getting hard back copies. I have a kindle and nook on my windows 8.1 but I can't figure out how to download the books from here? I used the text format and have it on my computer, but when I try to open it, it opens in wordpad. Not sure I can read it that way. Does anyone know how I can do this, or am I not able to participate without the kindle or nook? Thanks. Hope that makes sense.
Renee
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Renee24 wrote:Hi, Guess I'm a bit confused on how this site works. I thought we'd be getting hard back copies. I have a kindle and nook on my windows 8.1 but I can't figure out how to download the books from here? I used the text format and have it on my computer, but when I try to open it, it opens in wordpad. Not sure I can read it that way. Does anyone know how I can do this, or am I not able to participate without the kindle or nook? Thanks. Hope that makes sense.
Renee
Welcome! You have to join the review team first. You can't download ebooks directly from the shelves as those are just for show. You need a minimum post count to join the review team and off-topic posts don't count. It may take a couple of day before you see a list of ebooks to choose from (it will be found on your Review Team page).

Please read this for more info: REVIEW TEAM AND REVIEW REQUEST ISSUES - Read this first. This page will explain the process to you. Good luck!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Renee24

Post by Renee24 »

Thanks, sorry thought I did join the review team, I used the verification link.
gali

Post by gali »

Renee24 wrote:Thanks, sorry thought I did join the review team, I used the verification link.
In that case, check your RT (Review Team) page and press on the select option. Ebooks for reviews should appear there.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Renee24

Post by Renee24 »

Thanks, that's what I did, I downloaded it as a text file, but I can't figure out how to put it in my windows 8.1 kindle or nook. I don't know what other options I have for reading books with windows 8.1.
gali

Post by gali »

Renee24 wrote:Thanks, that's what I did, I downloaded it as a text file, but I can't figure out how to put it in my windows 8.1 kindle or nook. I don't know what other options I have for reading books with windows 8.1.
Oh, I see. I misunderstood your question. You can read it as PDF on your PC, or you can convert the file to the appropriate format suited for kindle/nook Apps by using the calibre library (it is free). If you still can't read it, you should submit a report error reporting the issue.
A retired Admin/Mod

Renee24

Post by Renee24 »

that's ok, I think I was a bit confusing, sortof a technophobe. lol But i noticed that with amazon even to download a book for free you need to have a credit card, and I do not. but thanks for letting me know about the calibree library, I did not know about that one.
gali

Post by gali »

Renee24 wrote:that's ok, I think I was a bit confusing, sortof a technophobe. lol But i noticed that with amazon even to download a book for free you need to have a credit card, and I do not. but thanks for letting me know about the calibree library, I did not know about that one.
Try it and hopefully you will mange to read your ebook. Good luck! :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Renee24

Post by Renee24 »

Thanks bunches! These are the days when I miss having my ipad. *sighs* lol
gali

Post by gali »

Renee24 wrote:Thanks bunches! These are the days when I miss having my ipad. *sighs* lol
You're welcome! :)

I read on my kindle and love it! I couldn't manage without it. 8)
A retired Admin/Mod

Renee24

Post by Renee24 »

oh I guess you dont' need a credit card, got it to work, not sure what I did tho. lol Thanks again for your input, it was much appreciated.
gali

Post by gali »

Renee24 wrote:oh I guess you dont' need a credit card, got it to work, not sure what I did tho. lol Thanks again for your input, it was much appreciated.
You mean for the Calibre? Indeed, you don't need a credit card to download it.

Great, I am glad to hear it worked. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”