Book Review

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

alwaysdaddygirl
Currently Reading: The Alienation of Courtney Hoffman
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alwaysdaddygirl.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B01DAJTINW

Book Review

Post by alwaysdaddygirl »

Aloha,

I hope everyone is well. I like to keep the name of the book I am reviewing, quiet until done. General question about doing a book review.

If you hate the book because it conflicts with your religious, etc views. Is that allowed? I am open minded. Well, I try to be. Sometimes things just cross the lines. Again, is this a valid reason? I understand it would have to be more in detail with the review. Blessings.

Mahalo,
RM Griffin
"Death ends a life, not a relationship."
Mitch Albom
🦋
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

alwaysdaddygirl wrote:Aloha,

I hope everyone is well. I like to keep the name of the book I am reviewing, quiet until done. General question about doing a book review.

If you hate the book because it conflicts with your religious, etc views. Is that allowed? I am open minded. Well, I try to be. Sometimes things just cross the lines. Again, is this a valid reason? I understand it would have to be more in detail with the review. Blessings.

Mahalo,
RM Griffin
Yes, you can give that as a reason.

If you dislike reading a book a lot, you do not have to finish reading it though.
There is an option you can click on the Review Team Page to say that you do not want to finish the book. You may be asked to give a short paragraph explaining why you didn't like the book enough to finish reading it that will be given to the author as constructive criticism.
You can read more details about it here: Review Team Guidelines, Policies, and Terms. Good luck!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
alwaysdaddygirl

Aloha,

Mahalo! I just want to double check. I know this topic can be a rollar coaster.

Blessings?
Mitch Albom
🦋
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Hi and welcome to the forums. :) As Gali mentioned, it's a good idea to read the review guidelines. I think you should look at a book objectively when reviewing it. You wouldn't say I am lowering the rating because this book contained scary parts and I don't like scary books. Another example - you shouldn't say I didn't like a book because the woman cheated on her husband and that's against my beliefs. Instead, you might say the woman's character wasn't developed well so it wasn't clear why she cheated on her husband or the reason why she did it was unrealistic.

In the case you mentioned, I would say it depends on the book. Let's say you read a non-fiction book about a person's political views. Even if you have different political views, you should still review the book objectively. Did the author present his views clearly, provide back-up info, etc.? Was the book well written and interesting even if you didn't share the author's views...or was it rambling?
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
alwaysdaddygirl

Aloha,

Mahalo for your input! I understand. I have. I am the type of person who like to double check. Why? I been down this road before. Not being rude, I do know how to do that.

Blessings?
Mitch Albom
🦋
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I hope I didn't offend you by giving extra info. I am like you - I also like to double check.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
alwaysdaddygirl

Aloha,

You did not. I am just blunt. My apologizes.

Blessings?
Mitch Albom
🦋

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”