Like button?

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Re: Like button?

Post by ALynnPowers »

Scott wrote:Something that might be loosely related but more well-received could be this: I'd love to have a way for people to more easily 'subscribe' to reviewers or any forum member, so that those subscribers could be notified one way or another about new reviews or new topics/posts by that member. Actually, it could work for authors who are members who have new books released.

I believe the forum software already has some kind of friends function but it seems to serve little actual use, but this could possibly be tied into that or just replace it all-together.

Those are elements of the social media sites like Twitter and Facebook that I like, by which I mean the ability to update your friends all in one go and in a way that doesn't disrupt them (like sending a group text to their phones :o ). Likewise, those are elements that the big sites like Twitter and Facebook have started over the years to do very poorly because they are focused on cutting organic reach and selling ads. That is, nowadays if you make an announcement on most of those sites or post a pic or something most of your friends won't see it. A lot of people at OnlineBookClub have made close online friendships with other several members, and presumably like to check those members topics/posts/reviews/books etc. so it could be a lot easier to subscribe to all those updates in one shot and be able to see them in one place.

The relation to the original suggestion is this. Instead of merely liking posts, if one really likes it then they can subscribe/follow that member with this new feature, which should itself then be un-doable.

This is exactly what I said. Word for word. It was stolen.

Okay, I lied. But yeah. This is what I meant. Something like this...
lmakani
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by lmakani »

DATo wrote:.....The idea of "likes" is not necessarily a bad one, other forums use it, however I think it tends to detract from the idea of discussion. It is too tempting to just hit a "like" button rather than offer one's reasons for the "like".
Scott wrote:.....The relation to the original suggestion is this. Instead of merely liking posts, if one really likes it then they can subscribe/follow that member with this new feature, which should itself then be un-doable.
Well Said :tiphat:
Amh73090
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amh73090.html
Latest Review: "Another-Blended Not Shaken" by Sherrie L. Todd

Post by Amh73090 »

The like button would be good but due to this being a book club I would make it so people have to post first before they can like any post.
Latest Review: "Another-Blended Not Shaken" by Sherrie L. Todd
Booky_BettyC
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 55482">Hex Hall</a>
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booky-bettyc.html
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel

Post by Booky_BettyC »

I think a like button would be good. Sometimes you don't have to much to say to a post but also want to recognize the post because you agree and such.
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
Mp3LQ
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mp3LQ »

I need more Like :-p
Lesa
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lesa.html

Post by Lesa »

I was going to suggest the addition of a 'like button' in the forums, as I've seen it used on other sites and I really like this feature, but I see the idea has already been addressed. So I'm just adding my two cents here that I would love to be able to like my fellow members' posts in these helpful forums too. I think it's nice to show we enjoyed a particular answer, or learned from what someone had to say, and I think it promotes a sense of community. Thanks for your consideration.

I'm new here, and I already think this site is great.:) I'm looking forward to exploring all you have to offer.

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”