Help From Review Editor

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Help From Review Editor

Post by MsMartha »

I've found some really good suggestions and helpful comments from the editors who checked my reviews before they were posted. It's been awhile since I did serious writing projects, so I really appreciate grammar reminders and notes about why doing it right makes a difference. :)

But I'm wondering--is it possible for the editor to post a link or two that would give more information? I do have some books and websites that I check if I have a question while I'm writing the review, and I do use the Microsoft Word spelling and grammar check, but I would like more information about the specifics the editor noted.

Thanks!
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

There are many threads dedicated to the discussion of grammar resources and ways to improve your grammar. I highly recommend searching the forum and reading the relevant threads.

I take the editors comments and look into what I am doing incorrectly. I have gotten a lot of great resource books from the library that break down the rules of grammar and spelling. MS Word is a good starting place, but it does not catch every error. For example, you could spell a word that is incorrect for your sentence correctly and it would not be flagged as incorrect.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

MsMartha wrote:I've found some really good suggestions and helpful comments from the editors who checked my reviews before they were posted. It's been awhile since I did serious writing projects, so I really appreciate grammar reminders and notes about why doing it right makes a difference. :)

But I'm wondering--is it possible for the editor to post a link or two that would give more information? I do have some books and websites that I check if I have a question while I'm writing the review, and I do use the Microsoft Word spelling and grammar check, but I would like more information about the specifics the editor noted.

Thanks!
Editing is time-consuming as it is. The editors can't provide links/more information on every review they edit, nor is it their job. If you have grammar questions, you are welcome to ask about it on the International Grammar forum. :tiphat:
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
MsMartha

Post by MsMartha »

gali wrote:
MsMartha wrote:I've found some really good suggestions and helpful comments from the editors who checked my reviews before they were posted. It's been awhile since I did serious writing projects, so I really appreciate grammar reminders and notes about why doing it right makes a difference. :)

Thanks!
Editing is time-consuming as it is. The editors can't provide links/more information on every review they edit, nor is it their job. If you have grammar questions, you are welcome to ask about it on the International Grammar forum. :tiphat:
I totally understand, and I have spent some time in the Grammar Forum--and I'll continue to research whenever I feel the need.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

Good question @MsMartha :)

As @gali wrote, the editors are already overly generous with their time and it would delay the publication of reviews if they spent even more time on editing the reviews.

Also, it would be redundant for the editors to privately coach each reviewer one-on-one in regard to general grammar rules. Similarly, the editor's comments are not exhaustive in terms of grammar mistakes. Instead, the editors will usually give a few examples to illustrate. Their comments and ratings are based on a lot more than spelling and grammar.

This can instead be done in the International Grammar Forum. Generally, if you have questions about the corrections and the grammar rules behind them, post your question there. That way, everyone can benefit from the answer. :)
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
MsMartha

Post by MsMartha »

Scott wrote:Good question @MsMartha :)

As @gali wrote, the editors are already overly generous with their time and it would delay the publication of reviews if they spent even more time on editing the reviews.

Also, it would be redundant for the editors to privately coach each reviewer one-on-one in regard to general grammar rules. Similarly, the editor's comments are not exhaustive in terms of grammar mistakes. Instead, the editors will usually give a few examples to illustrate. Their comments and ratings are based on a lot more than spelling and grammar.

This can instead be done in the International Grammar Forum. Generally, if you have questions about the corrections and the grammar rules behind them, post your question there. That way, everyone can benefit from the answer. :)
Thanks,Scott!

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”