Ahhh Homework!!!

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Ahhh Homework!!!

Post by Scott »

Friends,

Do you think I need leadership training???

It doesn't matter! I'm already signed up for a weekly leadership class. :lol:

In fact, I have class tonight...

And I forgot to do my homework, which was to interview someone I consider to be a good leader. Also, by forgot, I mean constantly remembered and procrastinated all week.

I have to be in class in an hour.

I need one or more people to answer the following questions before then. Your help is appreciated. Please post your answers as a reply to this topic.
  • 1. What change did you make and how did it happen?

2. What do you was the key to your success?

3. What do you think about change?
Thank you :)
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Hey there! Not sure if I can be of help, but here goes!

I am a teacher (or well, I was up until a couple of months ago) with three paraprofessionals in my room that I was "in charge" of. I had to keep the room flowing and not only educate children, I had to manage these three women everyday for years. I also have 6 special needs students at varying levels of academics, behavior, and emotional control.

1. What change did you make and how did it happen?

I work in a program for autistic children. The program started off pretty small with just a couple of classrooms in my public school. As time went on, more and more children were being identified with autism, and our program expanded. When I first started teaching in my classroom, the students stayed within this small group setting for most of the day. Perhaps leaving for one or two general education classes. However, now my room is know as the highest functioning room and all of my students go to most, if not all, general education classes.

This was able to happen because I kept pushing and pushing for my students to learn independence. I showed the other teachers, the principal, the assistant principal, and our program manager that when you set high expectations for students, they rise to the challenge. In reality, everyone wants to be challenged, especially those who have been told they 'can't because they don't know how'. This statement not only set low expectations, but the students are being set up to fail. With the idea of setting the expectations high and that they can do it, this is where you get students to flourish!

2. What do you was the key to your success?

The key to my success was my family. I grew up with parents who never had an official American education and with three sisters with varying learning disabilities. I could see what they could do with some guidance, encouragement, and some push throughout my whole childhood. Therefore, I applied it to my own students. Everyone has difficulties in their lives, but it's not an excuse to give up. You have to keep pushing and keep aiming high. This is what I teach my students every single day.

3. What do you think about change?

I think it has been successful. Is there more room to grow for my students? Absolutely! However, have I seen major growth in their academics, behavior, emotional control, and their drive to accomplish daily tasks? 100%. I see the success through my students, and them taking on a challenge. Instead of becoming frustrated, some laugh and say 'guess I gotta keep going!' with so much enthusiasm my heart soars. I love it and wouldn't change anything that has led to my students to where they are now.

I hope this is helpful Scott. If need more information, let me know and I can elaborate more! I figure, this is a beginning point in case you really need to get to class soon :)

-- 21 Mar 2016, 15:51 --

Oh! Also, if you find someone's else post better, go ahead and use it! No worries on this end :).
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I just saw your message, so you are probably after class by now. I hope your lesson went well. I don't think you need leadership training, but good luck with your class and enjoy! :)

Good answer hsimone (I like your new avatar). :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thanks, gali on both accounts! :)

Scott, hopefully, your class went well! :)
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

Thank you both! :D
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”