Expanding BOTM to book of the year

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

j p gilbert
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-p-gilbert.html
Latest Review: "An ABC of Prostate Cancer in 2015" by Alan G Lawrenson
fav_author_id: 4949

Expanding BOTM to book of the year

Post by j p gilbert »

An idea which promotes the book of a month a bit more. How about Book of the Year. The only candidates would be the winning book from each month. Then using the same voting system, have a winner for the whole year. Almost similar to a champion of champions.
Some say our future is written, mine must be in invisible ink.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

That sounds very intriguing.
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

In theory, your idea is a good one. However, I don't think it would work well because of a few issues. The manner in which the BOTM is chosen each month is not uniform. Sometimes Scott makes the choice, other times it's through member nominations and a vote. Also, some BOTM's are bestselling books published by major publishing companies (Gone Girl, Paper Towns) while others are indie books. Pitting a well-known book like Paper Towns or Gone Girl against indie books would skew the vote. More people might read the traditionally published books (is there a term for this?) since the books are available for free in their local libraries. Just my humble opinion.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

bookowlie wrote:In theory, your idea is a good one. However, I don't think it would work well because of a few issues. The manner in which the BOTM is chosen each month is not uniform. Sometimes Scott makes the choice, other times it's through member nominations and a vote. Also, some BOTM's are bestselling books published by major publishing companies (Gone Girl, Paper Towns) while others are indie books. Pitting a well-known book like Paper Towns or Gone Girl against indie books would skew the vote. More people might read the traditionally published books (is there a term for this?) since the books are available for free in their local libraries. Just my humble opinion.
:text-yeahthat:
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

gali wrote:
bookowlie wrote:In theory, your idea is a good one. However, I don't think it would work well because of a few issues. The manner in which the BOTM is chosen each month is not uniform. Sometimes Scott makes the choice, other times it's through member nominations and a vote. Also, some BOTM's are bestselling books published by major publishing companies (Gone Girl, Paper Towns) while others are indie books. Pitting a well-known book like Paper Towns or Gone Girl against indie books would skew the vote. More people might read the traditionally published books (is there a term for this?) since the books are available for free in their local libraries. Just my humble opinion.
:text-yeahthat:
:text-yeahthat: :text-yeahthat:
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Stop making such good sense bookowlie! :P :lol:
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Ha ha ha - The funny thing is that there were a bunch of indie BOTM"s I liked better than Paper Towns.
j p gilbert
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-p-gilbert.html
fav_author_id: 4949

Post by j p gilbert »

So, let me get this straight.

Book of the Month is just books which forum members nominate for discussion. It is not because the book is better than other books that month. It is not because a number of voters found it to be "the best thing they read that month." Additionally, a book is chosen not only by a vote, but in some instances, just by Scott.

Therefore, Book of the Month is not really a competition, but more like "this is the book will we discuss more this month."

Okay. If that is how it is, I can see why my suggestion may not work. But what is the potential loss in terms of visitor traffic and revenue...

The question is not whether the old system is fair, the question is can we improve it to drive more traffic and revenue to the site? Alternatively, if we change something we have historically done, would it have more benefits for a greater number of people?
Some say our future is written, mine must be in invisible ink.
Jojowrites4All
Favorite Author: L.A. Banks
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2847">The Great Gatsby</a>
Currently Reading: Hidden in Plain Sight: Revelation of the Sons of Yah
Bookshelf Size: 514
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jojowrites4all.html
fav_author_id: 8337

Post by Jojowrites4All »

I'm not always interested in the BOTM selections. I nominated a really good book, but it was useless against some of the more popular less interesting books. Yes, I had the audacity to say it :) I don't care how we do book of the month if it is uniformed and fair.
~ A Lack of Preparation on Your Part - Doesn't Constitute an Emergency on My Part~
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Jojowrites4All wrote:I'm not always interested in the BOTM selections. I nominated a really good book, but it was useless against some of the more popular less interesting books. Yes, I had the audacity to say it :) I don't care how we do book of the month if it is uniformed and fair.
I seldom get involved in the BOTM because in honesty most of the books wouldn't interest me. But that doesn't mean I consider those nominated unworthy or have a negative opinion of the members who nominate the books. It's really just a simple matter of different strokes for different folks.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

I agree that everyone has different reading tastes. I also belong to an in-person book club and sometimes the monthly pick is not my taste at all.

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”