Amazon links broken

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

pklentz
Bookshelf Size: 0

Amazon links broken

Post by pklentz »

Hello,

It appears that on the reviews page for SF/Fantasy, the latest 3 reviews (since Dec 2) in the list have broken direct Amazon links. They appear to be missing their ASIN's.

/reviews/sci-fi-fantasy.html

I did not check all genres, so I don't know if there are other broken links.

PK
GrizzlyBear
Currently Reading: The Accidental Tourist
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by GrizzlyBear »

I found that the link for Mustard Seed Baby Doll on the "shop-by-cover" page on the online book club website is also broken and leads you to a 404 message on the Amazon website. I didn't check others, but since there is already a thread dealing with this, I'm guessing it may be more wide-spread.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

GrizzlyBear wrote:I found that the link for Mustard Seed Baby Doll on the "shop-by-cover" page on the online book club website is also broken and leads you to a 404 message on the Amazon website. I didn't check others, but since there is already a thread dealing with this, I'm guessing it may be more wide-spread.
It looks like the author/publisher had uploaded an incorrect Amazon link to that book or that the author had unpublished the original edition. The problem was unique to that book having an incorrect ASIN entered into the database. The book is unavailable in Kindle (currently) so they may have had something to do with it. I have found the paperback on Amazon and updated the ASIN. :)

-- 18 Dec 2015 09:41 am --
pklentz wrote:Hello,

It appears that on the reviews page for SF/Fantasy, the latest 3 reviews (since Dec 2) in the list have broken direct Amazon links. They appear to be missing their ASIN's.

/reviews/sci-fi-fantasy.html

I did not check all genres, so I don't know if there are other broken links.

PK
I have checked on the currently top books have working Amazon links. Do you recall the titles of the ones missing ASINs?
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
pklentz

Post by pklentz »

The Cloud Seeders
Sonar the Cyclone
Frozen Souls

So there is no confusion, I'm referring to the category listing page for SF/Fantasy reviews, not any detail pages. The links for the above books end in "asin=" and no ASIN follows. I am fairly sure there were different titles when I first posted this thread, at least one of them with a review dated 12/2, in the SF/F category, but there are no longer any reviews showing with that date. The review dates now jump from 11/8 to 12/14. Unfortunately I do not remember the previous titles; they weren't the ones listed above, but they had the same link issue.

My concern is that I'm in the pipeline for a Level 3 and would hope not to see any such issues popping up when my own goes live. Thanks!
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

@pklentz you should be able to add your links and test them on the Bookshelves page for your book.

-- 18 Dec 2015 11:29 am --

You can do that prior to the reviews being published. All the links should use that same information from Bookshelves.

-- 18 Dec 2015 11:35 am --

I was able to verify that the Bookshelves page's for the books you mention do not have the Amazon links added. Whoever submitted those books to the database never submitted an ASIN or Amazon link.

I have corrected the reviews page to, in the case of no ASIN being in the database, default to the Amazon search page. So thank you for bringing this to my attention.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
pklentz

Post by pklentz »

Oh ok, then when a link doesn't work it's because whoever first entered it in Bookshelves did not include a link/ASIN. Understood! Thanks!

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”