My suggestions to improve OBC

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Re: My suggestions to improve OBC

Post by gali »

ryanj1 wrote:I too am against the idea of a "like" feature. Scott and the rest of the moderating team have come up with a feature in which a "New Reviews" link would be displayed at the top of the page, similar to the "New Posts" feature. This means that the reviews are separate from the rest of the forum threads, which would save users time searching for them. It also means that all reviews are getting the same amount of exposure and no kind of "cliques" develop. I personally prefer this method.
:text-yeahthat:
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
anonanemone
Favorite Author: So many...
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 24">Tinder Stricken</a>
Currently Reading: Outland Exile
Bookshelf Size: 901
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anonanemone.html
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson

Post by anonanemone »

That sounds great! I like this solution and will definitely use this new feature! You guys rock! :obscene-drinkingcheers:
The world lives between those who say it cannot be done and those who say that it can. And in my experience, those who say that it can be done are usually telling the truth. --Lord Vetinari (Discworld, Raising Steam)
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
stoppoppingtheP
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

At first I thought a like button would be nice, but after thinking about it, I am also inclined to agree with the majority. A like button would make people lazy to post their opinions, thereby making the number of posts lessen.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
AutumnW_83
Currently Reading: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reading Device: B07FRZKZBR

Post by AutumnW_83 »

I am new to the Online Book Club website. I am also new to Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, and Tumbler sites, as well as their respective forms of response. I began to think of ways OBC could educate newcomer's on ways to properly execute each site as throughout the Guidelines and rules. Adding a few screenshots of completing the tasks listed under the bonus entry options on the free book giveaway BOTD forum. Also, a few examples illustrating a well-written post or review compared to a rejected pl post written
Barbara Vargo
Currently Reading: Arsenic and Old Men
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbara-vargo.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Barbara Vargo »

When offering a book from a series, why are you posting a book from the middle of the series, as you did with "The Noble Mercenary". Why start at the beginning?

On another note, how can a member suggest a book or a series? I have several suggestions, buut I do not know how to post them.
gali

Post by gali »

Barbara Vargo wrote: 27 Feb 2019, 00:38 When offering a book from a series, why are you posting a book from the middle of the series, as you did with "The Noble Mercenary". Why start at the beginning?

On another note, how can a member suggest a book or a series? I have several suggestions, buut I do not know how to post them.
This thread explains how to recommend books: Topic Creation Guidelines. :tiphat:
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Barbara Vargo wrote: 27 Feb 2019, 00:38 When offering a book from a series, why are you posting a book from the middle of the series, as you did with "The Noble Mercenary". Why start at the beginning?
Because that is the book the author paid to have reviewed. They likely have already gone through the process with the previous books in the series and don't need help with the old ones.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Crazyreader01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crazyreader01.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Crazyreader01 »

I like the notification ideas as I do find the whole forum thing a bit tedious at times. Your other suggestions also sound like you put a lot of thought into them, good on you.
Clorinda Donovan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clorinda-donovan.html
Latest Review: Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog by Michelle Lander Feinberg

Post by Clorinda Donovan »

Thank goodness the suggestions first made for this topic never came to fruition. For heaven's sake are not the email updates enough?! Please no more notifications, of any kind. My only request would be that we have more avatar options. Please don't laugh everyone.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.

Confucius
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Clorinda Donovan wrote: 29 Apr 2019, 16:15 Thank goodness the suggestions first made for this topic never came to fruition. For heaven's sake are not the email updates enough?! Please no more notifications, of any kind. My only request would be that we have more avatar options. Please don't laugh everyone.
I am an avatar junky. I change my avatar so much, people have failed to recognize me before. :lol:

Needless to say, no way I'd be laughing at anyone but myself. :P

Anyway, you can submit an avatar, either by using a URL to an online picture that works, or by uploading from your computer. :tiphat:

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Clorinda Donovan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clorinda-donovan.html
Latest Review: Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog by Michelle Lander Feinberg

Post by Clorinda Donovan »

Thank you Gravy, I shall attempt something in that order right now.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.

Confucius
Jennz123
Favorite Author: Alastair Reynolds
Favorite Book: Ender&rsquo;s Game
Currently Reading: The Party Crasher
Bookshelf Size: 2232
fav_author_id: 11570

Post by Jennz123 »

I like the idea of having a like button for the forum posts, then you can display your agreement with multiple people without having to quote each one...
gali

Post by gali »

Jennz123 wrote: 02 Jun 2019, 07:36 I like the idea of having a like button for the forum posts, then you can display your agreement with multiple people without having to quote each one...
This idea was rejected.
A retired Admin/Mod

Jennz123
Favorite Author: Alastair Reynolds
Favorite Book: Ender&rsquo;s Game
Currently Reading: The Party Crasher
Bookshelf Size: 2232
fav_author_id: 11570

Post by Jennz123 »

Could we have a section on the author page to list the different series and the plot reading order (as opposed to the publication order) as this subject doesn’t seem appropriate for the author bio or book blurb and it would make more sense for the book related information to be on the author page as opposed to being lost in the masses of forum topics...
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Jennz123 wrote: 10 Jun 2019, 00:58 Could we have a section on the author page to list the different series and the plot reading order (as opposed to the publication order) as this subject doesn’t seem appropriate for the author bio or book blurb and it would make more sense for the book related information to be on the author page as opposed to being lost in the masses of forum topics...
Do you mean on Bookshelves?

If so, it was added to the list of things to be done. :tiphat:

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”