Change the rating system?

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Re: Change the rating system?

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Definitely worth considering!
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

PashaRu wrote:I'm posting again simply to bring this back to the front. It's worth talking about, I think.
I agree. I am struggling with the rating with the book I just finished, so you have good timing to bring the topic back up.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I think it's worth bringing to @"Scott"s attention 8)
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Sounds good to me. The more accurate we can be with our ratings, the better and more helpful the reviews will hopefully become! :)
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

Graverobber wrote:I think it's worth bringing to @"Scott"s attention 8)
Whatever you wonderful moderators decide I can make it happen. :)
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I feel like I am the only person who likes the rating system the way it is and will be extremely saddened by such a change...
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I am on the fence about this one. I often feel bad about rating a book 2 stars because it seems negative. Still, I have gotten so used to the current rating system that I think it should probably just stay the same.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
anonanemone
Favorite Author: So many...
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 24">Tinder Stricken</a>
Currently Reading: Outland Exile
Bookshelf Size: 901
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anonanemone.html
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by anonanemone »

It will still be ok to use full stars even when there are half star options. :) Maybe we should set up a poll so we can get a real count on what people want. Could we weight it the same way as BOTM?
The world lives between those who say it cannot be done and those who say that it can. And in my experience, those who say that it can be done are usually telling the truth. --Lord Vetinari (Discworld, Raising Steam)
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

anonanemone wrote:It will still be ok to use full stars even when there are half star options. :) Maybe we should set up a poll so we can get a real count on what people want. Could we weight it the same way as BOTM?
Not a bad idea, I suppose. Instead of leaving the decision up to a few people, not all of which are on the review team, all of the reviewers would have an opportunity to give their input. That seems fair. I would really prefer a more precise method, as the current one, for me, is rather vague and can't always accurately reflect my opinion of the book under review.
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

If it changes, then most of my previously reviewed ratings would have to be changed as well, in order to accurately represent my real opinion, and it just seems like too much trouble. Then what's next? A .1 star system? I'm joking. :)
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html

Post by PashaRu »

I've thought about that, too. And I agree that it would be difficult, and probably impossible, to go back and adjust the rating for every book that's been reviewed. There are thousands, after all. Add to that the fact that many reviewers are no longer active. So instead of changing past ratings, a statement could be put on, say, the homepage and Reviews page, simply stating that reviews done before a certain date used a 4-star system with no half-steps available, and after that date, half-steps began to be used. That way, a 4-star rating would remain the top rating and prior ratings wouldn't be skewed too much. I think @Ryan mentioned this in an earlier post.
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

I like the Poll idea. I would make us all feel included and special as reviewers. :P But really I think it would be a good idea to get everybody's opinion on it and maybe get more people to discuss the possibility.

I do agree that it would be too difficult to go back and change the reviews prior to chancing the rating system but the message about the date it is changed, if it is changed would help others that have had their books reviewed here to understand so they don't feel bamboozled I suppose and that they were given an inaccurate rating. I think that would be the biggest problem in changing the rating system.
anonanemone
Favorite Author: So many...
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 24">Tinder Stricken</a>
Currently Reading: Outland Exile
Bookshelf Size: 901
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anonanemone.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by anonanemone »

Thanks, TrishaAnn. This would be a huge change for everyone. Do you guys think it would be too confusing for the authors to see a major change like that? I would hate for this to cause some sort of schism.
The world lives between those who say it cannot be done and those who say that it can. And in my experience, those who say that it can be done are usually telling the truth. --Lord Vetinari (Discworld, Raising Steam)
rachel_bruhn
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire #1)
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-jacks.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by rachel_bruhn »

I definitely agree we need to make some changes to the rating system. I think I am sort of in line with a previous comment about "2" being below average and "3" being above average. Although the way each rating is described, only books rated as "1" would be those that you would not recommend, but honestly, if I rate a book a "2" I am saying I do not recommend it. When I am reviewing a book and deciding on a rating I always ask myself, "Would I recommend this book to others?" If yes, then it gets a 3 or 4 (you have to be practically flawless to get a 4). If no, then you get a 1 or 2. I feel like there aren't enough ratings available for books that are not yet ready for publication, but have something to offer (basically a book I rate as a 2).

I understand not wanting to switch to a 5-point system due to the retroactive effect it would have on reviews using a 4-point system, but I do think it would help to have more options...including adding half-points to the existing system. I think this would provide a more accurate measure of how the reviewer perceived the book and provide a clearer image for the author.
Journey beyond the jacket.
TrishaAnn92

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

rachel_jacks wrote:I definitely agree we need to make some changes to the rating system. I think I am sort of in line with a previous comment about "2" being below average and "3" being above average. Although the way each rating is described, only books rated as "1" would be those that you would not recommend, but honestly, if I rate a book a "2" I am saying I do not recommend it. When I am reviewing a book and deciding on a rating I always ask myself, "Would I recommend this book to others?" If yes, then it gets a 3 or 4 (you have to be practically flawless to get a 4). If no, then you get a 1 or 2. I feel like there aren't enough ratings available for books that are not yet ready for publication, but have something to offer (basically a book I rate as a 2).

I understand not wanting to switch to a 5-point system due to the retroactive effect it would have on reviews using a 4-point system, but I do think it would help to have more options...including adding half-points to the existing system. I think this would provide a more accurate measure of how the reviewer perceived the book and provide a clearer image for the author.
The only problem with going back and changing it on all the reviews is that there are thousands of book reviews on here and a lot of the people that reviewed them are no longer active which would make it unfeasible to go back and change the reviews that have already been done.
Not to mention there are reviewers that are still active on here that have a ton of reviews under their belt.

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”