Section for posting new novel chapters?

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 2516

Section for posting new novel chapters?

Post by moderntimes »

We've got a nice section for posting short stories and one for poetry. But there's no real area for novelists to post sample chapters where they can ask for feedback on theme, content, style, etc.

This would not of course circumvent the sections for actual reviews. This section would be for in-progress novels (or perhaps non-fiction books) where newbie writers of longer material might get some interim feedback and help.

Thanks, GREAT forum!
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I think it is a good idea to consider. @"Scott"?
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

Yes, it's a good idea to consider. I wonder if the short stories section could be re-purposed to allow for the both short stories and chapters from longer stories.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
gali

Post by gali »

Scott wrote:Yes, it's a good idea to consider. I wonder if the short stories section could be re-purposed to allow for the both short stories and chapters from longer stories.
I think it could. 8)
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Would this be for books that are already in the process of being published? If that's the case, I fear the section will basically become a form of advertising. Everyone and their mother will post the sample chapter (similar to Amazon) of their book in pre-publication to build buzz.

-- 09 Oct 2015, 11:15 --

I don't mean to be insensitve. I know writers would like feedback on their writing. However, if this type of thing is allowed, I think it would be nearly impossible for the moderators to sift through what chapters are from already published books vs. books in progess. I think it open the floodgates for authors to use the topic as a form of advertising to get people to buy the book.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gali

Post by gali »

bookowlie wrote:Would this be for books that are already in the process of being published? If that's the case, I fear the section will basically become a form of advertising. Everyone and their mother will post the sample chapter (similar to Amazon) of their book in pre-publication to build buzz.
A good point. It should be for in-progress books only, if at all, to prevent that kind of situation.
A retired Admin/Mod

bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

gali wrote:
bookowlie wrote:Would this be for books that are already in the process of being published? If that's the case, I fear the section will basically become a form of advertising. Everyone and their mother will post the sample chapter (similar to Amazon) of their book in pre-publication to build buzz.
A good point. It should be for in-progress books only, if at all, to prevent that kind of situation.
So...how would this be managed. I can see how this could mushroom out of control. In my opinion, this would create an extremely hard thing to manage - checking to make sure that the chapter is not from an already published book. There is also a fine line between a book that's already published and a book that the author knows it is going to published very soon - the equivalent of pre-publication status.
gali

Post by gali »

All valid points. On second thought @"Scott", I think it shouldn't be allowed.
A retired Admin/Mod

bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

gali wrote:All valid points. On second thought @"Scott", I think it shouldn't be allowed.
The only thing that might help is if there were a way to ensure the book weren't published. I don't know how this could be done...maybe someone else has an idea?
gali

Post by gali »

bookowlie wrote:
gali wrote:All valid points. On second thought @"Scott", I think it shouldn't be allowed.
The only thing that might help is if there were a way to ensure the book weren't published. I don't know how this could be done...maybe someone else has an idea?
I don't think there is such a way.
A retired Admin/Mod

Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

Perhaps, an added feature of the review team could be for authors to submit partial books for private feedback.

That might work better anyway since the response from a post in a forum can be inconsistent. Sometimes many people would read and comment on the topic. Other times nobody may read it.

If it was done through the review team, it could be one-on-one.

I also think the reviewers, even though they generously volunteer their time, bring a professional, dedicated attitude to each review/analysis. This could provide some valuable constructive feedback to writers before even finishing a manuscript.

What do you all think?

It's worth noting we do have a section of the website for samples of books: http://onlinebookclub.org/samples/
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
gali

Post by gali »

Scott wrote:Perhaps, an added feature of the review team could be for authors to submit partial books for private feedback.

That might work better anyway since the response from a post in a forum can be inconsistent. Sometimes many people would read and comment on the topic. Other times nobody may read it.

If it was done through the review team, it could be one-on-one.

I also think the reviewers, even though they generously volunteer their time, bring a professional, dedicated attitude to each review/analysis. This could provide some valuable constructive feedback to writers before even finishing a manuscript.

What do you all think?

It's worth noting we do have a section of the website for samples of books: http://onlinebookclub.org/samples/
I am for it! 8)
A retired Admin/Mod

rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

That sounds like a good plan to me.
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

This sounds fine to me. I really am fine with posting openly to the forum members, and I've received some nice and helpful feedback on some sample chapters. Of course if the chapters are from published books I've avoided listing the contact info, just saying that it's from my private eye novel and nothing else.

If the review folks would be amenable to looking at some sample chapters, sure, I'm all for it.

As for the "samples" section, is this all right for our own books? I see links for Amazon sales but I was unaware that we can post such links, in that these would definitely result in sales.

But if it's okay for me to list my own books there, then yeah, I'll post chapter samples and such. I just don't want to step over any rules. Is it okay for me to post excerpts of my on-sale books?

And thanks for the advice and info. Just let us know the more recommended pathway, okay?
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”