Compensation for paid reviews that are not published

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

rachel_bruhn
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire #1)
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-jacks.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 5004

Compensation for paid reviews that are not published

Post by rachel_bruhn »

I posted a couple weeks ago about having two paid reviews, almost back-to-back, not get published because the author didn't review the private blurb. I appreciate that the review was counted as complete since I did the work, however it is frustrating to select a paid review, have it approved, but not get paid because the author didn't bother to review the blurb.

Similarly, I just submitted a paid review recently that immediately went to "not published" status. This was not an error where I had done something wrong (I read the RT page about this). I would imagine that this was in instance when the author requested private feedback. That being said, it still shows payment pending author's review of private blurb. In cases when the author requests private feedback, are they still requested to review the blurb? If not, why offer a paid review when the reviewer will never actually get compensated for it?

My suggestion is this: can we make it so that reviewers are still compensated for their time on a paid review, even when the author does not review the private blurb? I truly enjoy reading new books and expanding my boundaries, but everyone here can agree that being compensated for your time and effort plays a factor in what books you select to review. If you select a $20 review and it never gets published it makes you feel like your time was not appreciated. I don't know how the money end of things works, but I would like to see some sort of compensation when a paid review is counted as complete, but not published.
Journey beyond the jacket.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I am going to do my best to answer your questions. Then you can always contact Scott or one of the other administrators (Gali, Fran) for more help.

Not Published, but Counted as Complete:
Reviewers are definitely paid for reviews that go to "not published, but counted as complete" status. In these cases, the same steps, as with published reviews, are followed before payment approval - 1) the author has to approve the ending blurb as proof you read the entire the book; and 2) editors' approval of the review. The only difference is that your review will not be published on the review forums.

Pending Author's Approval of Ending Blurb:
If an author doesn't respond to the request for ending blurb approval after approximately one week, you should contact Scott. At that point, he will resolve the problem. Sometimes the author just needs a reminder to review the blurb for approval; if there is still no response, then Scott will resolve the issue. The main thing to remember is that you have to follow-up if the approval is still pending after a certain length of time.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
rachel_bruhn

Post by rachel_bruhn »

Look at you earning that "Member of the Month" title! :) I will reach out to Scott in regards to the older posts. The most recent one is still newer, so I can still give that one time. I have messaged him previously, but I will follow up. Thanks!
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

bookowlie is right. 8)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

Yeah, everything that @bookowlie said! You should be paid as long as there wasn't a dispute with the author. The only reason we do the blurbs is to prove that we actually read the book, and as long as you read the book and wrote the review properly (as in, it has to be approved by editors and publishable), then you will get paid. Maybe @Scott is a little bit behind with paying or something? I know he's been pretty busy getting his book out and having to deal with all my editorial notes and all that. Bwhahahaha. Maybe it's partially my fault?? Sorry!
rachel_bruhn

Post by rachel_bruhn »

I sent him a message regarding the one from September 14th and another from September 23rd. The other one is still within the 1 week window. :)

I don't think he's behind in paying because those usually show payment pending editor review. I think I just assumed since I had reached out after the 1 week time frame that I had done what I was supposed. It's easier for me to see when the author still hasn't followed up than it is for Scott I am sure! Now I know to follow up periodically if there are still no changes. :)
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

I can relate to the frustration. I once had an author not respond to the approval request after a month! After that experience, I didn't wait so long to follow-up. I don't understand why an author would pay for a review and then not do what's needed on their end in a timely manner.
rachel_bruhn

Post by rachel_bruhn »

Well, I have noticed that some review requests sit for a while before being selected. Maybe the author forgot they submitted the request or hasn't followed up. Not sure. I don't know how that whole process works.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

If you are referring to the list of available review books, that just means no one has selected the book. Sometimes I think it's because the format isn't something most readers prefer. It also be that the book is extremely long and/or contains dense subject matter, particularly for the payment offer. Just my opinion. If a book hasn't been selected for a while, I have noticed that some authors will increase the payment amount or add another format such as Kindle Gift.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

Hi @rachel_jacks

The payments are approved and sent even if the author never confirms the private blurb. The lack of confirmation just delays the process while we wait for the author to respond.

I have pulled up your reviewer history right now.

The last status update on your most recent competed review was just 2 days ago.

When looking at your review history, I see two reviews from September waiting confirmation of the private blurb. On that history, the words "private blurb" are clickable and bring you to the dispute page, where you can add additional information and/or request the dispute be closed. Please do one or both of those. I'll send you a PM with further details. This is probably better to resolve through that medium.

With that said, there does need to be a better system in place to help move things along in a quicker and more understandably manner for both authors and reviewers. So thank you for raising that concern. :) With the help of the moderators and other admins, I will develop and implement those changes.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
rachel_bruhn

Post by rachel_bruhn »

I always thought the "clickable" would take me to my blurb. Didn't realize there were other options there! :)
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

:doh: Hahaha!

Well, hopefully you can get it sorted now!
anonanemone
Favorite Author: So many...
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 24">Tinder Stricken</a>
Currently Reading: Outland Exile
Bookshelf Size: 901
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anonanemone.html
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by anonanemone »

This is good to know since this process is new to me too. Thanks for posting this good question rachel_jacks. I also thought the blurb link just went to the blurb we wrote :doh:
The world lives between those who say it cannot be done and those who say that it can. And in my experience, those who say that it can be done are usually telling the truth. --Lord Vetinari (Discworld, Raising Steam)
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Actually, I always thought the member gets a email alert if there is a dispute about the ending blurb.
rachel_bruhn

Post by rachel_bruhn »

I think that's if the author disputes something. When I clicked on the link it informed me that I was the last one to post in the "dispute", but that I could add more info if I wanted in the box provided. It also gave me a button option to close the dispute. I guess when you submit the blurb it is considered a "dispute". If, after reviewing the blurb, the author is not satisfied that you proved that you read the whole book, then they can comment on your blurb, "disputing" that you actually read the book. You are then allowed to comment back, and so forth until the "dispute" is settled. If the author doesn't respond within one week, then you can request that the dispute be resolved on our end.

That's how I understand it at least. :)

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”