Book/Author Info Disappearance

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

anonanemone
Favorite Author: So many...
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 24">Tinder Stricken</a>
Currently Reading: Outland Exile
Bookshelf Size: 901
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anonanemone.html
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Book/Author Info Disappearance

Post by anonanemone »

I have noticed that the page with the book blurb and the author info only seems to be accessible while digging through the Select option from the RT page. I may be missing something, but I was not able to find that page again while I was writing the review. I especially like to use them to get a feel for the author and to make sure there are no spoilers in the review that are not essentially already present in the summary.

That being said, yes, it is easy to pull up the blurb from other sites and author info does float around the ether. It's really just an 'it would be nice if.'
The world lives between those who say it cannot be done and those who say that it can. And in my experience, those who say that it can be done are usually telling the truth. --Lord Vetinari (Discworld, Raising Steam)
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Indeed it is only accessible till you pick up a book. You can copy/paste this info and save it for later use. 8)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

That's what I always do. I also wondered if it "disappears" on purpose. Like, to make sure that reviewers actually write their own summary and don't just copy what was already written there for them? Sometimes this info is original to the site; sometimes it's copied from the published summary. Anyway, I know what you mean about wanting to refer to it later on. ;)
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

The only thing that bothers me about the book/author info disappearing is when it's not clear what the genre is. I have had to look up the book on Amazon twice in the past to confirm what the genre was, since a review book can often fit into more than one genre. After that, I started writing down the genre before selecting the book. :)
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
anonanemone
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 24">Tinder Stricken</a>

Post by anonanemone »

Thank you, Gali!

Right, ALynn; but I think if reviewers are going to copy from the book review, they will do it anyhow. I'll just try saving a copy of the page next time.

Bookowlie, I agree that sometimes books are not categorized the way I would place it personally or are difficult to place and that may end up being a part of the discussion in the review.
The world lives between those who say it cannot be done and those who say that it can. And in my experience, those who say that it can be done are usually telling the truth. --Lord Vetinari (Discworld, Raising Steam)
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I just feel funny if I state in the review that the book is categorized in a certain genre, but the published review winds up in a different subforum. The weird thing is sometimes the Amazon listing will show a review book in a different genre than it's placed here. For example, a book I read a few months ago was listed on the Review Books list in Romance, but Amazon listed is as a non-fiction memoir.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
rachel_bruhn
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire #1)
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-jacks.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by rachel_bruhn »

I always jump back to amazon if I want to reread the book summary or the about the author section (if not already included in the book).
Journey beyond the jacket.
anonanemone

Post by anonanemone »

A lot of times the author section on Amazon is different than the one here. I've noticed that sometimes if you google the book or author, there are some short interviews posted on sites that spotlight Indie authors, specifically. Amazon is my go-to for the book summary though.

I also forgot to copy the page again this time! :doh:

Maybe 3rd time's the charm :D

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”